Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 04:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Canadian Price for the K-1

PhotoPrice has finally added the K-1 for all the lazy shoppers out there, with the exchange it is still cheaper in Canada.

Pentax K-1 - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca

02-19-2016, 05:35 AM   #2

it will be $2499 or so. About the same price. Being Canadian, I was hoping for a bit more of a price discrepancy like we have been enjoying for the last couple of years. In April, prices are going up significantly for a lot of camera gear so buy it now, pay for it later - you will still save money. For example, the Nikon D810 is going up to $4000.
02-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
In April, prices are going up significantly for a lot of camera gear so buy it now, pay for it later - you will still save money. For example, the Nikon D810 is going up to $4000.
Why are the prices going up and who is predicting this?
02-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Here's were I buy most of my gear. Very reliable store in Montreal. You can get it online from them for that same price, $2499,99.

https://www.lozeau.com/en-CA/products/photo-cameras/dslr/pentax-k-1-body/

02-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
Here's were I buy most of my gear. Very reliable store in Montreal. You can get it online from them for that same price, $2499,99.

https://www.lozeau.com/en-CA/products/photo-cameras/dslr/pentax-k-1-body/
They don't ship outside of Quebec, malheureusement.
02-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget you have 2-year warranty if you buy it in Canada for Canadians, but only 1-year International warranty if you buy from the US.
02-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm not going to buy from any store where I can't hold the camera. I'm ready to give Henry's the deep six over their decision to pull all Pentax gear from all their satellite stores. I suspect my next purchase will be from Downtown camera. If I have to drive to downtown to get to see a Pentax in the flesh, at their main store, well Downtown is a few short steps away. And they seem to have a greater selection of Pentax gear in stock. I may as well go their first and walk over to Henry's if I don't find what I like.

02-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Why are the prices going up and who is predicting this?
I live in Saskatchewan and deal with Don's Photo in both Regina and Saskatoon. Both their managers have told me about price increases for many brands including Nikon and Canon. No predictions involved - its certainties. It has to do with the dollar and the fact that Canadian camera gear prices have been significantly below US prices for a few years now. We are getting that gap closure all at once.
02-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not going to buy from any store where I can't hold the camera. I'm ready to give Henry's the deep six over their decision to pull all Pentax gear from all their satellite stores. I suspect my next purchase will be from Downtown camera. If I have to drive to downtown to get to see a Pentax in the flesh, at their main store, well Downtown is a few short steps away. And they seem to have a greater selection of Pentax gear in stock. I may as well go their first and walk over to Henry's if I don't find what I like.
Interestingly, the Ottawa Henry's store has started carrying some Pentax gear again. I'll be interested to see if they have any K1's in stock in a while... I'll probably order from them so I can get their 1 year extra "lemon protection" plan.
02-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Interestingly, the Ottawa Henry's store has started carrying some Pentax gear again. I'll be interested to see if they have any K1's in stock in a while... I'll probably order from them so I can get their 1 year extra "lemon protection" plan.
I've actually bought a used Pentax lens from the Ottawa store. Their staff weren't helpful, in fact the guy practically growled at me for wasting his time unlocking the case, for a $50 purchase, but, I suspect they still have a Pentax guy somewhere in the chain of command. Most satellite stores don't.

Last edited by normhead; 02-20-2016 at 09:13 AM.
02-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've actually bought a used Pentax lens from the Ottawa store. Their staff weren't helpful, in fact the guy practically growled at me for wasting his time unlocking the case, for a $50 purchase, but, I suspect they still have a Pentax guy somewhere in the chain of command. Most satellite stores don't.
For sure, the Ottawa store folks are not terribly helpful, I think they are underpaid and snooty. That said, I really appreciate having a brick and mortar store I can go to for warranty work, especially for such an expensive item.
02-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it will be $2499 or so
As far as I can tell, Ricoh Imaging Canada is the only distributor of Pentax products to the various Canadian retailers, so it makes sense everyone in Canada is offering the same price for special ordering the K-1. The good thing about this arrangement is that retailers get stable pricing in Canadian dollars, the bad thing about this is if Canadian retailers start selling significant quantities in the U.S., Ricoh Canada can easily eliminate the price differential.

In April, prices are going up significantly for a lot of camera gear so buy it now, pay for it later
Whoever is distributing the other stuff is probably using that exact same argument with their wholesale customers to get them to build up their inventory. The Christmas season just past was much worse across the country than the previous four years, so retailers are going to have to be aggressive to retain customers. The next few years could see a number of brick and mortar retailers close shop in Canada.
02-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I am not surprised that Henrys store getting rid of most Pentax gear as they have very few people with knowledge about Pentax gear. I was once in the Brampton store trying to look for something (fish-eye DA 17-70), the people there don't seem to be interested in what I was looking for. Naturally, if I was one of those Canikony users, they might be interested to entice me to get something if I don't need it. OTOH, it is supply and demand, I don't blame them at all.
02-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #14

I think I'll wait until next November's Black Friday sale before I make the jump to the K-1, if I can find it at a discounted price. This way I'll also make sure the K-1 is a bug free camera and if it's worth buying or not. Pentax has had a lot of reliability issues with their latest products. I'm on no hurry, really.
02-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I had a similar experience as well. I got my K-50 at the Ottawa store. I asked the guy there what he thought of it and he just said "I'm a Nikon shooter". Honestly, even though I use a Pentax camera, if I worked in a camera store I'd just try everything out. Another person there seemed nervous and didn't seem to know much about cameras. I like their warranty policy and their online service/ebay store, though.

Unfortunately, for trying out camera gear in Canada, there are only so many options.