Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
IMX094APQ is the model number for the Sony-made D800 sensor. And according to the Sony sensor division web site, today they are only selling one 36MP FF sensor, and it's still the IMX094 model. So I bet that somewhere in the K-1 tech docs or service manuals there is a reference to IMX094.
And that is a good sensor.

02-20-2016, 03:25 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
IMX094APQ is the model number for the Sony-made D800 sensor. And according to the Sony sensor division web site, today they are only selling one 36MP FF sensor, and it's still the IMX094 model. So I bet that somewhere in the K-1 tech docs or service manuals there is a reference to IMX094.
People seem to want the sensor in the K1 to be "better" than the sensor in the Nikon D810 or the Sony A7r, but they forget that this FF sensor is totally state of the art as it is. I have the Sony A7r and have the Pentax K3. I also had the K5 and the K5IIs. The Sony 36mp sensor is simply a fantastic sensor, and it is the one that I wished the K1 would have. No need for "rebuilt", or "tweaked". The IQ out of this sensor is all I would ever want.
Still, I wished that Pentax had spent a little bit more for a version with a lower native iso like the Nikon D810 version. You can never have too much highlight headroom.

Chris
02-20-2016, 03:55 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
What i have, is a pre-product, but i can already see that this sensor is *********** amazing!!! Thats all i care about hehe..

Have tested the K-1 with 31 and 77 LTD + 100 macro, 200 and 300..And of course 24-70..Im in love <3

And the layout of the new/extra buttons? Just incredible!!!! Now that i've tested it, it is so brilliant, you just have to laugh.

I know you're not allowed to share any images, but what about shedding some light on the AF system? Does it feel any better? Subject tracking performance?
02-20-2016, 04:24 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the last camera to come out with that sensor was the D810 and that was about 2 years ago - I would hope that the K1 has better performance than it.

02-20-2016, 04:59 AM   #20
Banned

I don't know why people want it to be better then thè other 36mp sensors. They are all great and fit in the same league. Pentax has a sensor that is not expensive, to make the camera not expensive, so don't expect to many extra's.

http://www.dxomark.com/cameras/launched-between-2012-and-2015/resolution-fro...taType=rankDxo

95 points at dxo is great. Maybe the pixelshift, if tested would get those extra points.
02-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *Rich Quote
Anyone know who manufactures the CMOS sensor used in the Pentax K-1? Is it Sony?

One source I read said this sensor is not similar to any other full-frame sensor presently on the market. Thanks.
Its a Sony sensor, but microlenses and the bayer color filter is probably different between the A7r, D810, and K-1 which will result in slightly different results. Many years ago when the A900 and Nikon D3x were out, they both used the same Sony sensor, but Sony used a heavier color filter which resulted in better colors and skin tone, but more noise at higher ISO.
02-20-2016, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
I know you're not allowed to share any images, but what about shedding some light on the AF system? Does it feel any better? Subject tracking performance?
It feels good. much better then K-3II. But as it is a pre-product, i expect it to even be a notch or two better when firmware is finished. But i already love the K-1!!

02-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #23

That's good to hear. Then I guess it should be leaps and bounds ahead of my K5 when it comes to focusing. I suspect that would make me a very happy camper.

Please share an in-depth report as soon as you get the production version.
02-21-2016, 12:15 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
What i have, is a pre-product, but i can already see that this sensor is *********** amazing!!! Thats all i care about hehe..

Have tested the K-1 with 31 and 77 LTD + 100 macro, 200 and 300..And of course 24-70..Im in love <3

And the layout of the new/extra buttons? Just incredible!!!! Now that i've tested it, it is so brilliant, you just have to laugh.
DO you have a group shots FA77 with K-1?
02-21-2016, 01:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

No, i dont have. I just have tested different lenses, AF, ISO etc
02-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #26

Original Poster
F.Y.I.

Here are six pages of details about the K-1:
Features1 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING
02-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F.Y.I.

Here are six pages of details about the K-1:
Features1 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING
Very comprehensive; they are bullish about the af capabilities, lets hope the reality lives up to the hype. I like the SR auto pan compensation

Interesting that te K3 is no longer listed, just the K3ii - I thought they were alternatives - I for one would prefer a flash to the GPS, though no deal-breaker
02-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

So it sounds like the final sensor performance will depend on what the Pentax engineers deem most important for the K-1. In the past, mixed results have occurred with Pentax's implementation of Sony sensors.

The APS-C 16.x Mp sensor performance was superior in the various K-5 models relative to other manufacturer's adaptation. But apparently not so with the APS-C 24.x Mp sensor, where the K-3 models' sensor adaptation fell a bit short in color depth performance and dynamic range relative to Nikon's and Sony's implementations (as per Dxomark).

Regardless, going to a full-frame sensor is going to be a big improvement over the earlier APS-C cameras. Just how big an improvement will soon become evident.
That could be because of the higher pixel density and the smaller sensor pixel size.... The K-1 for sure would have been a better performer here also with a 24.5MP FF sensor... or maybe less.
Anyway, There is Pixelshif resolution (spare me the words i know what it actually is about.. ) would have done for me with 20 or 24 MP and PixelShift Resolution.
02-27-2016, 01:38 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I don't know why people want it to be better then thè other 36mp sensors. They are all great and fit in the same league. Pentax has a sensor that is not expensive, to make the camera not expensive, so don't expect to many extra's.

http://www.dxomark.com/cameras/launched-between-2012-and-2015/resolution-fro...taType=rankDxo

95 points at dxo is great. Maybe the pixelshift, if tested would get those extra points.
Readout speed. The faster the sensor, the better the video quality (generally speaking). Regardless of the specs. The K-1 could still be significantly better than previous Pentaxes despite sounding the same, if the sensor is really fast and the processor can handle that. No moire and aliasing, less rolling shutter, ... and the other deficiencies of the camera can be fixed in firmware. Higher bitrate, sensor shift SR and flat picture profile.
02-27-2016, 02:14 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Readout speed. The faster the sensor, the better the video quality (generally speaking). Regardless of the specs. The K-1 could still be significantly better than previous Pentaxes despite sounding the same, if the sensor is really fast and the processor can handle that. No moire and aliasing, less rolling shutter, ... and the other deficiencies of the camera can be fixed in firmware. Higher bitrate, sensor shift SR and flat picture profile.
Better then Pentax camera's is fine. People expecting it to be better then thè other 36mp full frame camera's. I think it will be equal at best.