Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #76
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Customers are no saints. They want everything for nothing.

But we're off topic.
No-one's a saint. I'm not talking about altruism (humanly unreachable) or ulterior motives (ubiquitous). I'm suggesting that salespeople see customers as unsuspecting prey, customers respond accordingly. But it's amazing how much marketers can turn on the heat when a customer 'needs' something...

03-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'm sure he taught you more than just those three things, but I'm personally disappointed that these three quite reasonable principles are a far cry from what sales people abide by.

I'm put off by the salesman who feigns the 'I want to be your good friend' act to build a fake relationship that works in his favour to sell his product. I have disdain for the sugar coated words used to promote a product that is made to be something needed beyond what it was designed to even do, and laud the aspects the customer does not need. I loathe the dispensability of relationship once a sale has been closed leaving a customer feeling abandoned when there are still finer matters to discuss regarding the product.

The discipline of marketing makes the person practicing it a despicable showman. [/RANT].

The K-1 needs no marketing to tell people how good it is. In the hand, in the field, it will prove itself. That will be good enough for me.
Without marketing though not many people will buy it. Some, sure, and in the FF realm it's maybe not so bad than in the more entry level market segments. But people need to be aware of the choices there are. They need to know why they should invest in looking into the camera in the first place. Advertising, marketing, or better yet seeing someone in real life, someone who looks like a professional, helps. It can create interest.

Now that... person who said it'd have the A7S II sensor must either be not very smart, mixing things up or be a pathological liar. Because it's disproven by basically anyone who has just a basic knowledge of the A7S II. But not all salesmen are like that. Not everyone in marketing is like that. I would never lie... the fear of lawsuits alone is enough to make sure of that, but even if not. I may chose to... gloss over some disadvantages if absolutely necessary, but saying something wrong?
03-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
No-one's a saint. I'm not talking about altruism (humanly unreachable) or ulterior motives (ubiquitous). I'm suggesting that salespeople see customers as unsuspecting prey, customers respond accordingly. But it's amazing how much marketers can turn on the heat when a customer 'needs' something...
I don't. *

I guess I'm not a salesman then.

* Frankly (and you're not going to like this) I decline more sales than I accept.
03-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #79
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't. *

I guess I'm not a salesman then.

* Frankly (and you're not going to like this) I decline more sales than I accept.
That's actually refreshing to hear.
To me, if you have a fine product, you let IT do the marketing for you.
All you need to do is present it to the people.

03-02-2016, 10:43 PM   #80
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Without marketing though not many people will buy it. Some, sure, and in the FF realm it's maybe not so bad than in the more entry level market segments. But people need to be aware of the choices there are. They need to know why they should invest in looking into the camera in the first place. Advertising, marketing, or better yet seeing someone in real life, someone who looks like a professional, helps. It can create interest.
Yeah, I know. Totally true. I'd be kidding myself to believe the capitalist world could survive without marketing. And I've often wondered in the past, in this forum, why Pentax products weren't marketed enough. Advertising certainly has its place to inform the masses on a good thing. There is a point which turns that kind of informational advertising into sensationalising, and I just switch off... So I'm a marketing party pooper, but I like a good product when I see one.