Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
DA 1.4 Rear Converter Image Circle

There seems to be some confusion about the image circle of the HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter. There seems to be a general assumption that it's full frame, and I've been making this assumption myself, but reading the few available sources has given me pause. It is variously listed as 'FF' or 'APS-C only' on this site, and 'APS-C only' on dpreview.com:

'FF' (pentaxforums.com)

'APS-C only' (dpreview.com)

'FF' and 'APS-C only' (pentaxforums.com lens database; not sure how to make sense of this)

Click the images for the source pages.

These are all third parties, and I don't know where the claims originated. Has pentax made any official statements on this?

Attached Images

02-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jens, I will remove the FF icon in the database. Best I know the converter is APS-C only, but when we get the K-1 we will test it. Who knows, perhaps it will work fine on FF with some lenses (like the DA* 300mm, which per the K-1 manual can be used just fine as a FF lens)?
02-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

not so good... given the price of this TC.
02-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
not so good... given the price of this TC.
No, not good. I was sure it was promoted as FF when released. One reason I bought it actually was future use on the potential FF.

02-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No, not good. I was sure it was promoted as FF when released. One reason I bought it actually was future use on the potential FF.
Me, too, I was thinking I could use the TC with my DA300 and 70-200 on a K-1 , which would give me about the same reach... but than it's not, so that means buying new lenses for the move from APSC to FF.
02-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Me, too, I was thinking I could use the TC with my DA300 and 70-200 on a K-1 , which would give me about the same reach... but than it's not, so that means buying new lenses for the move from APSC to FF.
I'm waiting for the actual tests before being upset but it is puzzling if this true. I'll have to check on the dates of release versus the FF project being green lighted. I suppose it is quite possible Pentax was still firmly in the APS-C mind set when the TC project was given the go.

Still, I really think they said FF compatible at the time.
02-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It works just fine with my Program Plus and FA 50 or A_50 ƒ2., maybe it's a SR issue. I can practically guarantee with a mirror lock SR turned off and 2 second delay, it's not going to be an issue.
02-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If it was officially promoted as FF then it would have been labeled D-FA instead of DA. The TC has been on the roadmap forever, long before any real signs of FF being actually developed. Just many people assumed it is going to be FF complatible because of how TCs generally work.
But it certainly works fine with some lenses on FF.

02-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
If it was officially promoted as FF then it would have been labeled D-FA instead of DA. The TC has been on the roadmap forever, long before any real signs of FF being actually developed. Just many people assumed it is going to be FF complatible because of how TCs generally work. But it certainly works fine with some lenses on FF.
I guess we will see. I looked back at the press release and it does not say FF. However, Pentax Forums did mark it as FF compatible, so maybe that is where I saw it. So either that was a typo or they were given information indicating it was FF compatible.
02-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
If it was officially promoted as FF then it would have been labeled D-FA instead of DA.
Like the DA*200, the DA*300 and the DA 560 all of which works fine on FF.
02-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #11
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Like the DA*200, the DA*300 and the DA 560 all of which works fine on FF.
Well, they may work fine on FF which is great, but were not promoted as FF complatible when released. For example DFA 100 2.8 WR was released after DA200 and DA300 and was promoted as FF compatible. DA 560 was specifically anounced as "for digital only" which at that time basically meant "APS-C only" :

PENTAX RICOH IMAGING UK LTD. is pleased to announce the launch of the HD PENTAX-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW super-telephoto lens, designed for exclusive use with PENTAX K-mount interchangeable lens digital cameras.
02-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's wait for the k-1 before changing the labels. I tested it on my a7rii with the m50 1.7 and the m135 3.5 and it worked just fine all 4 corners clean. Both were tested wide open and at f8. There was minor vignetting with the 150-450 but I suspect some thing else was the cause I will test that again.