Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #1
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Interchangeable Focusing Screens

I'm sure I read somewhere that the K1 has interchangeable screens, does anyone have any details yet?

What I'm looking for in an ideal world... is for something like I had on the LXs, a fast micro prism SA-23 Microprism/Matte which was similar to the SA-21, but with sharper prism angles to aid focusing with high-speed (fl.2–f/2.8) lenses. Us older manual focus folk need a little help these days.

I wonder if the Viewfinder Magnifier O-ME53 will fit on too.

02-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Detailed spec sheet for K-1 specifically says the focusing screen is not interchangeable.
02-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Detailed spec sheet for K-1 specifically says the focusing screen is not interchangeable.
Ok thanks for keeping me right on that, I'll make the best of what we get, can't wait... April seems a long way off just now.
02-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a bummer, it probably has something to do with the way it projects the crop frame and grids. It sounds like they are putting a nice matte screen in it though which will help with depth redition, and since it's bigger than APS-C, it will be a bit easier to see.

02-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The K-1 doesn't have ability to change out with another focusing screen. However they do have a internal built-in focusing screen simulating software that allows you to change different types of focusing "screens" without having to actually remove the screen and putting in another.

I think that's what I read or watched, don't remember. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

https://youtu.be/CvCxb17LIwo?t=2m10s

Last edited by LeDave; 02-21-2016 at 09:43 AM.
02-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
It sounds like they are putting a nice matte screen in it though which will help with depth redition, and since it's bigger than APS-C, it will be a bit easier to see.
I was wondering about this. They're going from 0.63x equivalent magnification on the K-3II and the K-S2 to 0.7x on the K-1; that's obviously less than the difference between the sensor sizes. So all other things being equal, the K-1 screen should be brighter.

Is it possible Ricoh could have decided they could afford to give back some of that brightness with a screen that allows for more precise manual focusing? They do claim on their website that the new matte screen is good for that, though they don't say anything about specific apertures.
02-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have any problem focusing a matte screen KX @ .88 x 93% coverage so this should be OK. The split image viewfinder in my 2nd KX is often helpful, but also subject to blackout. I guess an LX arrangement with interchangeable viewfinders and focusing screens is academically appealing but alignment and calibration of the projections would be a challenge.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-21-2016 at 03:05 PM.
02-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #8

The specs on the RIcoh site do not mention interchangeable screens and the extended features page specifically states the screen is fixed to the body and not interchangeable.

Photos of the body show what appears to be a retaining clip for the screen frame in the mirror box. This could mean one or more of several things:
-The screen is interchangeable and the website and specifications are out of date
-The photos are of pre-production models where
--The screen is interchangeable but the production models it is fixed
--The screen is fixed but uses a frame with a retainer clip - this frame may or may not change in production models.

We will know for sure when the camera starts shipping at the end of April and people get there hands on production models.
02-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #9

That is really sad. I guess Pentax is giving up on accurate focusing for fast lenses. I'm sure the LCD overlay has something to do with this.
02-21-2016, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Just because the matte screen is not user-changeable doesn't mean that some Ricoh Imaging technician didn't install it in the camera, maybe even using some retention clips
Come on, people. We were asking (and still are) for a more flexible information display system on the viewfinder, and now that we're getting it, we want to go back to the etched focusing screens? Which one do we want?
02-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
I guess Pentax is giving up on accurate focusing for fast lenses.
It doesn't sound like it to me. Aside from all the other AF improvements, for fast lenses in particular, there are three center sensors that are specifically designed to detect the luminance flux of an F2.8 lens for high-precision autofocusing. When using a very fast lens with a shallow depth of field, these sensors can greatly improve the focusing accuracy.
Features5 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING

For manual focus, one will just have to hope that the viewfinder is bigger and brighter than previous Pentax APS-C viewfinders, I guess. Or be willing to experiment with after-market focussing screens in the K-1, which seems more risky now, given the level of electronics apparently integrated into the K-1 focussing screen.
02-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It doesn't sound like it to me. Aside from all the other AF improvements, for fast lenses in particular, there are three center sensors that are specifically designed to detect the luminance flux of an F2.8 lens for high-precision autofocusing. When using a very fast lens with a shallow depth of field, these sensors can greatly improve the focusing accuracy.
Features5 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING

For manual focus, one will just have to hope that the viewfinder is bigger and brighter than previous Pentax APS-C viewfinders, I guess. Or be willing to experiment with after-market focussing screens in the K-1, which seems more risky now, given the level of electronics apparently integrated into the K-1 focussing screen.
The other half of "accurate focusing" is focusing on what you want, rather than whatever the camera happens to "notice." Pentax's track record in that regard has not been great. Also, AF doesn't work well with manual lenses, as you noted. I had hoped that one by-product of the full-frame camera would be the ability to take the traditional Pentax split-prism focusing screens.
02-23-2016, 02:00 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Which one do we want?
An SA-23 since you ask...

But lets get my hands on a FF and see how I get on with the stock screen, not long until April now.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-23-2016 at 02:10 AM.
02-23-2016, 02:19 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
I had hoped that one by-product of the full-frame camera would be the ability to take the traditional Pentax split-prism focusing screens.
Film camera screens may be too small since they don't cover 100%.
02-27-2016, 04:50 AM   #15

So now we have it - in the PF CP+ interview the Ricoh-Pentax person being interviewed says the focus screen is fixed due to the LCD screen. The Nikon D810 has an LCD and the screens are interchangeable? That's Nikon and this is Pentax. Different engineers, different designs - maybe if keeping the size and cost to consumer down were not priorities other designs would have resulted.

The doesn't mean the screen cannot be changed - however user damage to the LCD or mirror box is not going to be covered by the warranty.