Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
According to the K-3II user manual, flash is not supported in pixel shift mode. I would expect the same for the K-1.
...Really? that is completely counterintuitive, as flash is one of the best ways to freeze motion.

02-24-2016, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...Really? that is completely counterintuitive, as flash is one of the best ways to freeze motion.
But flash doesn't help in keeping four successive shots identical to each other, which PS demands!
02-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, straight from the K-3II user guide.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
But flash doesn't help in keeping four successive shots identical to each other, which PS demands!
Yep...the issue is not freezing motion, it is keeping everything still in between exposures. The same issues exist for bracketed HDR.

Still, though, it would be nice to provide flash support if the flash is capable of firing four times in quick succession.

Steve
02-24-2016, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Still, though, it would be nice to provide flash support if the flash is capable of firing four times in quick succession.
Or to delay the time between the pixel shifted shots so the flash(es) can keep up...I'm thinking indoor, studio, non moving subjects. I was a little disappointed this wasn't possible with the k3ii, but still have hopes for future implementations even if the k-1 won't work this way.

02-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In a Still life scenario it most certainly does!
02-25-2016, 06:39 AM   #51
Pentaxian

In a Still life scenario it most certainly does!
Break out the studio lights.
02-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
IMO, the way some guys do such pictures have to change if they want to make the most out of it.
There is no free lunch, but it should be rewarding if one takes the time to go through the process.

To do a shot that has some motion in it, it will need a pixel shifted shot as well as a separate from w/o pixel shift.
Then its a matter of layering them in PS (or PP program of choice) and masking out the offending areas.
The technique is nothing new, though I'd imagine some older shoots banging the table over having to do this.

I already do this (for shots that I think are worth it).
1. Masking off people
2. Focus blending
3. Exposure blending
4. Traffic flow blending.
etc
So catering for a Pixel shift workflow comes rather 'normal' to me.
Are you implying old shooters don't do Photoshop? I'll strike you with my cane you upstart! :0

But yes, that's what K-3II users concluded. PS (in both Pentax and Oly variants) has been out a while and has yet to change the game I'm afraid. You're right that all sorts of masking and blending and stacking options already exist and are used extensively. HDR processing does this with its automatic deghosting in lots of applications so I think some people aren't even aware it's going on. But as you note, it's for shots you think are worth it, but when you take them and when you process them. And obviously if your subject is moving, there's no point.

I rather wish that Adobe and others would allow at least separation of the four frames of a PS shot to facilitate this more easily. dcraw PS can do this and essentially mask depending on a parameter for how much movement you wanna mask, but it would be nice to have that in GUI so you could just use a slider to adjust and instantly see results. That would allow post processing options for RAW rather than doing it in camera to produce JPEGs.

02-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #53
Pentaxian

I'd rather do a photomerge. Takes less time in field an you can include moving subjects. Don't always need a tripod.
02-26-2016, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As a landscape photographer primarily, I use a tripod every time I can. Pixel shift is a very useful feature...
02-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Does if you use power level instead of pttl
02-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I'd rather do a photomerge. Takes less time in field an you can include moving subjects. Don't always need a tripod.
Of course you'd rather use a photo merge, what other choice do you have? The other day kengoh (the amazing) suggested a trick he uses with birds, he capture the bird with high ISO, waits until he bird is gone, takes another identical low noise image at low ISO. masks the bird out and then pastes it into the low ISO background. You could do the same with pixel shift, I'm guessing with spectacular results.
02-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Does if you use power level instead of pttl
I don't know how we can be at such different ends of the spectrum I abhor flash and consider it a methods of last resort, after everything else has failed. I guess that's why I like Pentax. You don't miss what you don't want.
02-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Are you implying old shooters don't do Photoshop? I'll strike you with my cane you upstart! :0

But yes, that's what K-3II users concluded. PS (in both Pentax and Oly variants) has been out a while and has yet to change the game I'm afraid. You're right that all sorts of masking and blending and stacking options already exist and are used extensively. HDR processing does this with its automatic deghosting in lots of applications so I think some people aren't even aware it's going on. But as you note, it's for shots you think are worth it, but when you take them and when you process them. And obviously if your subject is moving, there's no point.

I rather wish that Adobe and others would allow at least separation of the four frames of a PS shot to facilitate this more easily. dcraw PS can do this and essentially mask depending on a parameter for how much movement you wanna mask, but it would be nice to have that in GUI so you could just use a slider to adjust and instantly see results. That would allow post processing options for RAW rather than doing it in camera to produce JPEGs.
Don't get me wrong.

Its more along the lines of
"I hope more folks will try,think of and learn how to make the full use of this new feature given to us"
rather than
"Just whine/complain and then shut the doors"

Yes, I do agree that Pentax can make life easier if they give us an easy way to extract the images out of the pixel shift file.
However, I am sure there is more ways to skin the cat so long as we are positive about it.
I can't wait to get my hands on the camera and try out whats possible.
02-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't know how we can be at such different ends of the spectrum I abhor flash and consider it a methods of last resort, after everything else has failed. I guess that's why I like Pentax. You don't miss what you don't want.
I say this again I still use Pentax and Sony cameras. Don't fear the flash.
02-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #60
Pentaxian

I say this again I still use Pentax and Sony cameras. Don't fear the flash.
I just don't like what it does. Liking pictures taken with flash is an acquired taste. But then so is looking at pictures and understanding what the represent.