Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 02:08 AM   #106
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,663
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
no problem with that -the original analogy was about whether it was worth buying a Ferrari if you ONLY use it for grocery shopping - mind you, come to think of it, the point of owning a Ferrari is to be seen in it, so maybe a 5D or1D series would be a better analogy anyway
sorry, just kidding, but. you might also think that is it worth to buy anything else than Ferrari for grocery shopping.

03-02-2016, 03:29 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,969
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
diglloyd DAP - Pentax K3 II (APS-C) - SuperResolution: Zeiss Siemens Test Target (diglloyd.com excerpt)

"Tested with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art for Pentax K (about $899) because quality with the PENTAX smc FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited was unacceptable."

I get the feeling a lot of the older glass is going to disappoint on the K-1.
Hard to say what the issue was with the FA 31. I've been pretty satisfied with it on APS-C and film and certainly stopped down a little bit, it should shine. Biggest negative about the FA glass is the tendency to purple fringing. Plenty of folks use it on the A7 series cameras currently and it seems to perform decently.

Maybe he had a bad copy?
03-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,420
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Why? What's Chambers' claim, Winder?
He ordered the K-3II to test the pixel shift while he waits on the K-1 and the 31mm, but ended up testing the K-3 with the Sigma 35mm because the 31mm "Pentax 31/1.8 did not cut the mustard, so I used the Sigma 35/1.4".

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Nowhere did Chambers indicate that he took the time to dial in the 31mm AF.
He is a pretty detail oriented guy.
03-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 490
PS on the K3II does show the flaws in any lens very quickly. I think it's a plot by Pentax to get me to buy new lenses....

But in the real world, still worth it. It's just that the lens might be the limiting factor, not the sensor.

03-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #110
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 260
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Hard to say what the issue was with the FA 31. I've been pretty satisfied with it on APS-C and film and certainly stopped down a little bit, it should shine. Biggest negative about the FA glass is the tendency to purple fringing. Plenty of folks use it on the A7 series cameras currently and it seems to perform decently.

Maybe he had a bad copy?
compared to APS-C where the 31mm is great, on my A7-II this lens really does shine. I am falling in love with this lens over and over again on my A7-II...
03-02-2016, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #111
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,420
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Hard to say what the issue was with the FA 31. I've been pretty satisfied with it on APS-C and film and certainly stopped down a little bit, it should shine. Biggest negative about the FA glass is the tendency to purple fringing. Plenty of folks use it on the A7 series cameras currently and it seems to perform decently.

Maybe he had a bad copy?
He is looking to test the pixel shift, so he is looking for absolute resolution and contrast. The 31mm has great character, color and Bokeh which he is not testing for. For his purposes the 31mm is not the best choice.
03-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #112
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,787
O.K. I mean honestly, does any of you think there is lens out there that can't be made to purple fringe? I've had purple fringing turn up unexpectedly at times on almost every lens I own, best to worst.

The level of nit-picking can be astounding at times. The only question to be answered is, is ti more prone to fringing than other lenses. One picture can't answer that. One guy saying he's got a lens that would do better without comparison images is just internet posturing.

Anyone who claims that a lens has something wrong with it, like purple fringing, based on one internet image, is also just posturing.

Stick your chest out and pound it when you trash that lens son, so we know where you're coming from.

You're supposed to be a photographer. Figure out which type of image causes fringing for your lens and don't do that. And if someone does, don't blame the lens.

Last edited by normhead; 03-02-2016 at 08:52 AM.
03-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #113
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,502
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
He is looking to test the pixel shift, so he is looking for absolute resolution and contrast. The 31mm has great character, color and Bokeh which he is not testing for. For his purposes the 31mm is not the best choice.
I wish Chambers had said this instead of 'didn't cut the mustard'.

03-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #114
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,663
Purple fringing is a task for engineers, and is measureable, where as artistic measures are more complicated, that is why it is easy to consentrate on PF instead. I prefer artistic way, and use PF as is/or take it off with LR, if desiered.

And yes, you can force PF out from even best lens out there. But why to do it. Better to use the strenght instead of being sad and depressed of 'Imperfection'(dunno if that is correct word).
03-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,420
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wish Chambers had said this instead of 'didn't cut the mustard'.
Pentax K1: Impressive Innovation Unmatched by CaNikon
http://http://diglloyd.com/blog/2016/20160221_1203-PentaxK1-InnovativeFeatures.html

Pentax K1: Super Resolution Mode Appears to be Best DSLR Quality Yet
http://Pentax K1: Super Resolution Mode Appears to be Best DSLR Quality Yet

Like many of us, he seems to be pretty absolute in his statements and that can bother some people.
03-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,969
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
He is looking to test the pixel shift, so he is looking for absolute resolution and contrast. The 31mm has great character, color and Bokeh which he is not testing for. For his purposes the 31mm is not the best choice.
I guess.

If I was testing pixel shift, I would probably use f8 or f11 and most modern lenses would be adequate at that f stop, I would think.
03-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,420
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess.

If I was testing pixel shift, I would probably use f8 or f11 and most modern lenses would be adequate at that f stop, I would think.
With an APS-C diffraction limits the resolution to just under 16MP at F/8 so you really would not be able to test a 24MP APS-C sensor at F/8 or F/11. You need to keep it at F/5.6 to take full advantage of the sensor.

This is why people say APS-C lenses need to be sharper at lower apertures compared to lenses for larger formats.
03-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #118
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,502
I read those on the page befor the result of testing post. Maybe I lack tribal knowledge, so I can't keep up.
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Pentax K1: Impressive Innovation Unmatched by CaNikon
http://http://diglloyd.com/blog/2016/20160221_1203-PentaxK1-InnovativeFeatures.html

Pentax K1: Super Resolution Mode Appears to be Best DSLR Quality Yet
http://Pentax K1: Super Resolution Mode Appears to be Best DSLR Quality Yet

Like many of us, he seems to be pretty absolute in his statements and that can bother some people.
03-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,969
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
With an APS-C diffraction limits the resolution to just under 16MP at F/8 so you really would not be able to test a 24MP APS-C sensor at F/8 or F/11. You need to keep it at F/5.6 to take full advantage of the sensor.

This is why people say APS-C lenses need to be sharper at lower apertures compared to lenses for larger formats.
I think the FA 31 is more than fine on f5.6 on APS-C. It may have some edge sharpness issues on full frame, I don't know for sure, but I still think there is a bad copy issue here if he couldn't use the FA 31 to test pixel shift.
03-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #120
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,235
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Biggest negative about the FA glass is the tendency to purple fringing.
Ummmmm...I am not confident that DA or D FA glass is any better...see below...

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
O.K. I mean honestly, does any of you think there is lens out there that can't be made to purple fringe?
Yep. That is the opinion of several reputable reviewers out there. The UV and near-UV sensor bloom we call Purple Fringing is closely associated with LoCA and almost all lenses have some degree of LoCA if you test for it*. This is particularly true of fast primes at wide apertures.


Steve

* Some reviewers maintain the viewpoint that all lenses have some degree of LoCA and can be made to show PF with appropriate spectra composition.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-02-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, art, biography, comments, concepts, environment, expert, flash, friend, full-frame, k-1 ff pixel, k1, k3ii, lenses, light, limitations, lloyd, michael, mode, pentax, people, pixel, shift, shots, third, tripod, wife
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-1 Pixel Shift Art Reproduction Painter Pentax K-1 20 02-25-2016 02:20 AM
K-1 and pixel shift Gimbal Pentax Full Frame 31 02-15-2016 10:14 PM
K-3 II Pixel shift for Macro? Omestes Pentax K-3 6 06-12-2015 08:13 PM
Election results - status quo debmalya General Talk 27 11-11-2012 01:27 PM
SDM firmware vote for the status quo. Let's keep it all the same! Russell-Evans Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 11-29-2009 12:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top