Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #1

K-1 FF Pixel Shift--Disrupting the Status Quo?

Saw this link about the K-1's pixel-shift technology on a Nikon FX forum at one of the other camera websites:

diglloyd: Pentax K1: Super Resolution Mode Appears to be Best DSLR Quality Yet

02-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you can use it for landscape in moderate wind, then yes, this is a game changer (even if restricted to tripod use).
If not, then it is an interesting technology for a minority of use cases.

M
02-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not so sure about landscapes unless there is zero wind, but for reproductions, macro, etc. the PS mode should push the K-1 above the competition.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm wondering how it works for really long exposures. You know, landscape where you allow river, waterfall, water waves to blur.

But I think its quite important for studio photography and product photography, and even some nature and macro photography. And these are big things. In these cases it will rival flagships of Canon, Nikon, Sony. The samples I have seen of this feature are quite great (but marketing sample photos cannot be fully trusted, ever)

So in some ways, yes, it can be a game changer. Depends how well photographers put it to use.

02-21-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I'm wondering how it works for really long exposures. You know, landscape where you allow river, waterfall, water waves to blur.
Wouldn't that be a good place to use it? It could allow all the stationary things to be extra-sharp and not affect the moving parts.
02-21-2016, 05:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Wouldn't that be a good place to use it? It could allow all the stationary things to be extra-sharp and not affect the moving parts.
No, not for this IF you have elements that you WANT to have some motion blur, like water.

The problem with PS is that the motion artifacts are horrible, hideous, colored geometric messes. If the in-camera motion compensation edits them out, great. You lose higher definition there, like on moving water and leaves, and maybe that's okay if some other element is sharper. Like masking. But if we're talking blur to show action, nice soft blurred waves, fuzzier clouds, etc, fergeddaboutit. It looks more like a lime green double exposure with moire.

You can see some examples here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/311865-pixel-shift-finicky-3.html
02-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Man oh man, that's just incredible, this is the kind of "knock out" work I hoped we'd see from the K-1. If the whole motion thing works in PS, it could totally change the landscape/still life game.

02-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Whelp, looks like I will have to haul the tripod on my hikes.
02-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wish I had a camera with pixel shift, then I could test it out a little. I would like to see test with long exposure of seaside waves; and a test with night photo long exposure.
Yes, nature photos can be problematic with HDR bracketing already, so this would have the same limitations (or more). But nobody expects Pixel shift feature to be used in just every condition, for every type of photo. The question is how far it can be pushed for good results.
02-21-2016, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Whelp, looks like I will have to haul the tripod on my hikes.
You mean you don't already?

Come on , get with the program.

02-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've heard of few people throwing off their old gear & joining us for the K-3 II version, but it appears to have taken another step up with the K-1. Every time Pentax and Olympus reveal a new feature that is really well implemented with sensor-shift tech, it will sting the others a bit. (Sony has it too but has not yet made any great leaps with it.)
02-21-2016, 06:31 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Here is a crop from both the official Pixel Shift comparison photos at Sample Image? PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING .

Both halves of the image are 200% crops from near the bottom of the official photos. Moiré? Now you see it, now you don't... not to mention the increase in fine detail. Some of the leaf detail too is astonishing, yes that's the word.

Last edited by Dave L; 02-21-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Flickr image is better.
02-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
That is a good question. Long exposures of moving water is problematic with the K-3II. The examples I have seen have significant artifact. It will be interesting to see if the motion detection feature of the K-1 is able to mitigate such that rocks, moss and whatnot are rendered with enhanced detail with the blurred water being masked. If so, that would be super cool

Steve
02-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Come on , get with the program.
What he said

I actually bought a second, lighter, tripod specifically for trail use.

Steve
02-21-2016, 07:18 PM - 7 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As someone who owns a 645z, a D810 and an A7rii, I will let you know how they compare when I get my K1.