Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #31
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Trees Quote
Are EVF's capable of resolving the full resolution of the image I'm about to take?

Genuine question, I've never used one.

I want whatever is the clearest view of my potential shot. Will an EVF show me all fringing in advance?
yes to all of the above, with an evf you can zoom into anywhere you want in the photo, both before and after it's taken... oled evf typically has higher native resolution than the lcd screen on the back of the camera.

it's so good that i can see the effects of diffraction at f/11, before the shot is taken.

but a competent photographer already knows the exact aperture that'll cause fringing, vignetting, etc. in advance, because he's tested the lens himself.

02-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Trees Quote
Are EVF's capable of resolving the full resolution of the image I'm about to take?
Genuine question, I've never used one.
I want whatever is the clearest view of my potential shot. Will an EVF show me all fringing in advance?
Like a lot of the rational discussion, it seems to be "What's your preference?"
Even though I now use both, I still prefer an OVF over an EVF for my type of work -- stills and landscapes. The advantage for me is very subtle, as the better tonality and perceived dimension often helps me in composition. In comparison, I feel an EVF tends to render slightly more contrast and a flatter dimension. With an OVF, I tend to feel the mood of the scene better, and when the the mirror pops up and the view goes dark, the image is not only recorded on the sensor, but also in my mind's eye -- like an instant visual to neural conversion.

That memory helps me in post to recreate that moment, regardless of weather what I remember was exactly what the sensor "accurately saw" and precisely recorded, which is what an EVF shows you. As you may guess, I usually end up doing a lot of post processing to reproduce that "memory." Regardless, the jpeg equivalent image on an EVF can never match what I can achieve via 16-bit RAW processing in ProPhoto. So my memory is usually recoverable.

However, I think Gene, 2351HD, and others have made several good points in favor for EVF's. One that I acknowledge is that EVF's are often superior in low light or when stopping down. In low light an EVF can "boost the gain" a bit and render amazing detail relative to an OVF. I have found that for indoor family pics, concerts/plays and low-light nature shots EVFs rule.
02-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by *Rich Quote
However, I think Gene, 2351HD, and others have made several good points in favor for EVF's. One that I acknowledge is that EVF's are often superior in low light or when stopping down. In low light an EVF can "boost the gain" a bit and render amazing detail relative to an OVF. I have found that for indoor family pics, concerts/plays and low-light nature shots EVFs rule.
That gain boost really comes in handy. Also, there is never a need to shim the screen. That being said, I own and use more cameras with OVF than EVF, so I'm good with either.

BTW, good to see another New Mexican with a Mini in the family. (My wife drives ours)
02-26-2016, 03:07 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Optical all the way man

02-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #35
Veteran Member

real hybrid or dual (EVF/OVF) would be cool.
02-27-2016, 03:22 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I am not concerned about battery life, not on a K1 or 645z as I am a landscape shooter and it wouldn't be any different to using the screen.
I know I'm a bit different in my personal needs and requirements, but just to throw it out there: battery life for me is quite important as when you are on a multiple day trek miles a way from the nearest electrical outlet, having your camera battery die on you is quite the bummer. And I'm also a landscape shooter.
02-27-2016, 04:32 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Same here...
But the expression is miles not kilometers...
I actually changed it to KM then changed it back to M
I thought it was "a country mile" but never mind

EU is Metric as is OZ. Imperial Measures are redundant stone age stuff.

---------- Post added 27-02-16 at 10:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
yes, it's a no-brainer, and it's bigger than just evf vs. ovf.

the a7rii proved that losing the mirror can also give you zero vibration of any kind all the way up to 1/1000th, in all shooting situations, via efcs, which afaik, no dslr has ever been able to do.
My D810 has an EFCS.

02-28-2016, 01:25 AM   #38

No EVF is as good as your eyes. Looking at actual photons are better than pixels. Color, depth, etc are better with a mirror. The EVFs may catch the OVFs someday, but not today...
02-28-2016, 01:39 AM   #39
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought I would always prefer OVF over EVF, but the Sony A99 EVF is a revelation. Focus peaking and being able to magnify the viewfinder image while shooting are both incredibly useful tools. I also like that exposure compensation changes are immediately seen in the viewfinder - what you see is very close to what you'll get. I still love the OVF on my Pentax cameras, but a really good EVF can be a pleasure to work with.
02-28-2016, 02:56 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I also like that exposure compensation changes are immediately seen in the viewfinder - what you see is very close to what you'll get
Oddly enough that's exactly what I don't like IN THEORY - but I hear what you say about your own conversion - I've never used EVF in a DSLR - but ( and yes, I am a late adopter of all new technologies) I do feel that we wen't through a phase - in my lifetime (I'm 57)of camera technology liberating photographers from all the technical concerns and allowing them to get on with the creative bits to the situation now where we're in danger of leaving too much to the camera and PS or Lightroom (other programmes are available) to turn sows ears into (faux) silk purses (apologies to non-english culture members). If the process from the viewfinder onwards is entirely reconstructed by the camera (and yes, I know our own nervous system is digital - that's what finally convinced me to go digital) - my fear is that we lose touch too early ]in the process with the reality we are photographing, and our SOLE criteria become about the look rather than the truth - or at least our own truth - of the image. Maybe in 10 years time I'll happily be using an EVF, but right now, I worry about what will be lost...
02-28-2016, 03:04 AM   #41
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I do feel that we wen't through a phase - in my lifetime (I'm 57)of camera technology liberating photographers from all the technical concerns and allowing them to get on with the creative bits to the situation now where we're in danger of leaving too much to the camera and PS or Lightroom (other programmes are available) to turn sows ears into (faux) silk purses...
...my fear is that we lose touch too early ]in the process with the reality we are photographing, and our SOLE criteria become about the look rather than the truth - or at least our own truth - of the image. Maybe in 10 years time I'll happily be using an EVF, but right now, I worry about what will be lost...
That's a fair point. I can only speak as I find... I got my Hasselblad HV (which is a Sony A99V in a better body) just recently, and - so far - I feel like I'm gaining from the EVF without losing anything (and previously I have been staunchly against EVFs). If I have one criticism of it, it's that the time from powering on to being able to take a shot is noticeably longer than with any of my OVF Pentax cameras. That, plus the viewfinder image, while really excellent, never looks as natural as an OVF view. It's a different shooting experience - it feels more digital than my Pentax cameras, if that makes sense
02-28-2016, 03:18 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's a different shooting experience
Thanks Mike - I guess that's the answer really - the fear is actually about losing one of the options, not that the other option has no merit
03-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
yes, it's a no-brainer, and it's bigger than just evf vs. ovf.

the a7rii proved that losing the mirror can also give you zero vibration of any kind all the way up to 1/1000th, in all shooting situations, via efcs, which afaik, no dslr has ever been able to do.
This was catch in focus hand held and moving the camera to the subject, what more vibration reduction do you need? K3 with K 50mm f1.4

03-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Well I must have used different EVFs to you, because manual focusing with an EVF is leagues ahead of an OVF for peaking and enlargement.....duh. Plus you get an accurate view of what your exposure will be, no surprises when you press the shutter button.
Which camera have you used that you personally consider to have the best EVF?

QuoteQuote:
Anyway, you all here are so hung up on OVFs and completely unable to see my view and that's fine, it's just the way it is.
As a point of reference, which OVF do you personally consider to be the best?
03-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax is a conservative company... when asked about EVF, they were quite clear.. it's not there yet. Just because it's good enough for many Sony users, doesn't mean Pentax is going to adopt it, until it meets their standards, whatever those are. Over time, I've been pretty happy with Pentax's standards, so, no way I'm going to tell them to change. I do find it interesting that they are keeping an eye on it. I also find it interesting that they find what is out there to date, inadequate. That's like me. What a coincidence.
Pentax's name advertises the penta-prism that has been their hallmark for many years. I'm guessing they will always feature OVF for that reason alone as long as there is a market for OVF {but they may still provide EVF for occasional MILC's.}