Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

If it was 98% they would say so. For all practical purposes, this is a 100% coverage viewfinder.

02-25-2016, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tony Northrup is KING.

Those guys are just a clown show. OK, i also have my sarcastic moments. Especially since i read that the ff will have a 36MP sensor. "Since then, I always have this twitching under my left eye..."

BUT - The K-1 is actually a great camera and for sure the biggest bang for the buck on the market at the moment...(lets wait for Sony on Photokina - i guess/hope the res. of the A99II -if it gets airborne- will be below the one of the K-1(28-32MP) ... so it may have better IQ, be faster and offer more when it comes to video then the K-1)

Though i dont understand Tonys point saying that PENTAX would be better with only APS-C. That is simpy not true. Other format other thing.
PLUS if I want to make the exact same pictures with APS-C as i could with a FF Pentax with an FA 85mm 1.4 mounted, wouldnt the lens on the K-3 have to be a 55mm 0.9 on APS-C...??
The equivalent of the "FA ltd. 31mm F:1.8" would have to be a "DA 20mm with 1.2"!!!
et cetera, et cetera

(And that is what i dont see in the next two years... APS-C lenses with aperture stops around 1.0 or under) Sry Tony you failed.

On the other hand, I think he only wanted to do a bit of advertising for the Sigma DC 50-100 1.8...
... I dont think there will be loads of new lenses like this... maybe one more from sigma....

So i keep my fingers crossed for another FF in a few months or one year...
02-25-2016, 05:29 PM - 3 Likes   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by PParent418 Quote
Go strait to 33.10 min for the K-1 RAW Talk ...

Complete Fail or GENIUS Idea: RAWtalk 171 | Fro Knows Photo
I figured out a long time ago that frodontknowsh**t
02-25-2016, 06:43 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Omg, they are so boring regardless Pentax or whatever they talk about.

02-26-2016, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #35

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I just watched it, and thought it was fine. They were actually pretty complimentary of the specs and the price. Sure, they cracked a few predictable jokes about Pentax's tiny user base, but so what? The fro guy said he wouldn't mind using the K-1.
Exactly.

I was expecting this to video to be the most insulting and controversial thing I had ever seen. It was so tame, I almost fell asleep.

I've gotten so many questions and confusing looks for choosing Pentax, it has literally become part of the charm of owning one. I don't care in the slightest when someone gives me or the company itself any kind of guff.

Big deal.
02-26-2016, 05:52 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 1434 Quote
I've gotten so many questions and confusing looks for choosing Pentax
I reckon these days are just about to be over. The K-1 will be a new dawn of appreciation
02-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
Complimentary? The one guy reading the specs in a mocking tone
He really only mocking said "innovations not found in any other DSLR" which is fair game to mock a marketing slogan. They gave props to the tilt screen and said it was a stacked camera.

02-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
He really only mocking said "innovations not found in any other DSLR" which is fair game to mock a marketing slogan.
I can't help but agree that the K-1 is not really that innovative, so the marketing speak is a bit over the top, and an eye-roll would not be completely appropriate. So what else would we expect from people who are not already Pentax true believers?

If anything, Pentax is behind the curve with the K-1, rather being "innovative". What's the big innovation? SR in FF? Sony did that a long time ago with their A99, and continues to do it with their mirrorless FF line. Super-Resolution? Olympus has had that for a while. Even if the camera is not technically a DSLR, it hardly seems like an important distinction in this case. And Olympus's implementation allows you to use strobes by providing an option to space out the exposures. Sure, the wifi and GPS are nice features, but hardly game changers for most people. And apparently Pentax ran out of innovation before they got around to the video features.

So while the K-1 presents a very nice package at an attractive price, it's more of a "Me too!" camera than it is a true innovation.
02-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
The douche Jared Polin failing so hard to brand his moronic 'froknowsphoto' moniker is the only thing that's funny.
Yes, it terrible how so may of these "media famous photographers" are sooo annoying.. Rockwell, Polin, DigitalRevTV (though, it looks like DRtv took it down a notch lately).. I can't wait for some of the better reviewers to get their hands on a K-1, but those usually wait until they get the actual camera in hands, and often it takes a long time. The shameless, annoying "reviewers" are the ones that talk about cameras the most, way before they even come out
02-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #40
Pentaxian

This is a "All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?" moment.

So, you're trying to downplay the innovations. OK, I'll play.
- basic SR in FF is not an innovation, but I don't think they claim it is. OTOH the K-1 is the only current FF DSLR with in-body stabilization; this might serve as a selling point. Pentax had a series of SR-related innovations (Composition Adjustment, AstroTracer, AA filter simulator) and they're bringing them to the K-1.
- Super Resolution is innovative, though it was first introduced in 2015. Olympus had something similar for about a year, Pentax for slightly less. Note that Pentax is doing it with a 36MP FF sensor, not with that tiny itsy bitsy m4/3 thing.
- the resilient, flexible LCD display is innovative in the truest sense of the word
- LEDs to illuminate the buttons, card slot, lens mount. New. Neat.
- New interface elements
- perhaps the best innovation is to offer such a camera for a mere $1800/2000 euro.
02-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I reckon these days are just about to be over. The K-1 will be a new dawn of appreciation
Doubtful.
02-26-2016, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Doubtful.
Well Boris, I was in a camera store yesterday (yes we still have them down here) and the sales staff were positively gushing about the K-1. One of them was ruing a recent d750 purchase and thinking of swapping over.

I think this camera will have an effect on the general camera populace. It is now something that must be considered by anyone entering the market for FF. If it matches/surpasses the D810 in performance - and I think it will - for half the price (ish) it will makes waves on the interweb and more and more people will notice. duffers like Polin will no longer be able to be disparaging and say things like 'are they still in business' or 'for the three people out there who shoot Pentax'. It will lead to a greater appreciation of the brand.
02-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #43

I believe the K-1 to be significantly innovative- there is a notable distinction between innovation and invention.

A careful read through the Ricoh Pentax official announcement sheds light on a lot of innovation. New novel adaptation of existing technology and inventions already made. I don't think Ricoh Pentax are claiming the K-1 to be anything more than that. Well of course they spin it (hype it) a notch or two higher- but that's just marketing speak. Every company does that. We'll just have to see how it plays out. But I think it will offer some genuine high potential.

Btw: I also think the K-3ii is a notably innovative camera. And the K-1 takes this to a greater scale in progression and achievement.

As an example: While others perceive only 4.4 frames per second as reverse-progress- it is sufficient for my needs, and yet the smaller camera form factor that the innovative floating mirror movement enables (the complexity of which may contribute to limiting shutter recycle speed) will most likely result in me owning one sometime in the future.
02-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I agree with you, but I'd also want to correct one minor detail: the mirror is definitely capable of (at least) 6.5 fps shooting (which the K-1 does, in APS-C mode).
03-07-2016, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

I don't watch talking heads who have never seen nor touched a product and are prepared to offer their expert opinion on the item.