Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2016, 05:19 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I was specifically trying to distinguish between "better AF tracking" and "kicks the crap out of every pentax dslr when it came to autofucus". These statements are not equivalent, and imply that Pentax AF is poor in all situations. This has already been demonstrated in several publications to be incorrect.
K-3 is better in low light at acquiring focus.
A6000 is better at fast tracking in good light. Watching the green AF points go berserk is a lot of fun.

Where the A6000 and now the A6300 fall down a bit is on the AA-filter, i.e., both have one. Sony should have made these AA-filterless.

But I agree. "Kick the crap out of . . . " it doesn't.

04-08-2016, 06:16 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
I am a designer, sir. And i can tell you that the screen tilt mechanism won't win any awards. It looks awkward at best, regardless of how functionally dreamlike it may be. You have all these metal rods poking out at different angles. It looks decidedly outdated, like a throwback to an era of long past, like the times of flash gordon. It looks like a transformer or something. Pentax isn't exactly the greatest when it comes to aesthetics. I mean, they have some of the most peculiar looking cameras out there and while this is by no means the K-01 which looks like it was designed to be held by a giant lego man. What makes it look unfinished is how you have the metal exposed against the black of the rest of the camera. Those metal rods are going to freeze to your hands if you take the camera out in that -30 degree weather it's advertised to be good at, not to mention the possibility of rust. The problem is all the bits that protrude so much which are magnets for dust. It just doesn't look as well designed as other tilt screens.
I agree that many stylists won't like the apparent complexity of the K-1's tilt screen mechanism, but anyone with a mechanical engineering background (and probably a few industrial designers, but not necessarily those working on the aesthetic appeal of products) will appreciate what's been done here. I haven't seen anyone demonstrating the strength of a tilt screen from any other maker by shaking a heavily-laden camera the way the K-1 has been. As for attracting dust, what doesn't? That's what we have blowers and brushes for. Rust? Stainless steel? -30 degree weather? Bare hands?

Let me also make the point that the K-01 was designed (a little more than styled, though not excessively) by a rightly famous and successful industrial designer (I wasn't particularly enthralled by its appearance either, but I haven't had the pleasure of designing a camera of any sort for production, so I won't be too critical). Although appearance is a personal issue, I really don't think anyone who thinks the A7 is attractive has much basis for criticising the appearance of any recent Pentax (OK, maybe the K-01).
04-08-2016, 06:21 AM   #93

Wow, I never said the A6300 beats ALL dslrs. Swing and a miss. The point is that dslr autofocusing isn't inherently better. It's more than a match for most mid range dslrs on the market and probably most pentax dslrs.

You just compared a mirrorless camera to a cellphone. I can't. You realize that's like comparing a leaf blower and a garden hose because they are both often found in a garden? I have no problem with not everyone wanting a mirrorless or a dslr, but you remind me of the angry photograper's rant against the world of mirrorless where he called mirrorless more expensive. I used to think mirrorless cameras were all point and shoot and then I spent a few minutes with one and it changed how I think about them completely. Do you think this is a cellphone camera?
Full Frame Camera | High Megapixel 35mm Digital Camera | a7R II | Sony US

It's a great sensor but it's hardly the best
Sony A7R II vs Nikon D800
It's gonna face stiff competition from the above sony beast.

Little hint, 4 year old tech is rarely the best. 4 years ago, we had 1080 and now 4k has become the standard. I mean, seriously dude?

Non mirrored cameras are the future even if DSLRs aren't going away anytime soon. Most people want more for less money, I guess you are content with less for more money. If you can't see how they have changed the market I can't help but ask if you think putting your feet in a bucket of holy water cures measles. Mirrorless just came onto the scene 5 years ago and since then demand and increased dramatically. Pros everywhere are switching. The D5 and D500 from nikon were HUGELY influenced by mirrorless. The D5 has 200+ af point pulled from it's non mirrored cousins where as the K-1 has a measly 33, even less than the 800.

Pentax has some cool tricks up it's sleeve, I never doubted that and Im sure neither have most people. But they seem to be cutting corners to keep the price down. 1080p is starting to become a dated standard, no sense in including it. Even $500 bridge cameras like the fz300 are now including 4k. Nearly 100% coverage in a $1700 camera?
I kind of agree that mirrorless is gonna be big in the near future ( i don't think anybody is denying that) , but saying that dslr's are a thing of the past..let's jut say there is space for both, neither are perfect, depending on the point of view...

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-09-2016 at 03:48 AM.
04-08-2016, 07:28 AM - 3 Likes   #94
Pentaxian

I think it is funny how a thread about an arrogant photographer who try's to teach people how to use there camera in manual and not in auto happens to talk about the Pentax K1, who rants a little bit because I called him a Nikon Canon fanboy who in the end says it doesn't matter what camera you use, just go take pictures has turned into a Pentax sucks because.../Pentax is great because...thread.

Lets be honest here, who cares what camera you use, just go take pictures. Some people like APSC, some people like mirrorless, Some people like the full frames. In the end, it doesn't matter. When you look at a photo hanging on the wall, can anybody actually say "well, this was taken with this brand of camera with this lens and these settings." ,I don't think so.

I'm not going to point fingers at anybody but if anybody wants to say X camera is better then Y camera or Y camera is better then X and A cameras, all you are doing is making your self look a little foolish.

Look, I am on this forum because I like and use Pentax cameras. I have a K7, *STDL, K1000, A3000, and a Spotmatic. I have 11 or 12 lenses of which only one or two are fast primes. You know what, I think I do pretty good with my consumer grade zooms and guess what, when people see my printed photos, no body knows what camera I am using.

So, just go take pictures and stop worrying about what you are holding in your hands.

04-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
I did not compare a cellphone to mirorless I actually went back and read your post you seem to want all the features of a cellphone on a camera.
Still wondering why you are wasting yours and every one else's time bashing Pentax we understand it is not for you so go away. Just because a camera has 425 AF points does not automatically make it better if they do not really improve it Pentax only lags in tracking focus they have proven time and again that they are just as accurate if not more than the others.
You claimed that the A6300 would beat the pants off any Pentax and most Canikon I just stated that I have seen no such proof.
Right above this you say that a mirrorless camera "...is more like cellphone. " Ironic kind of? Not that there is any truth to this in the slightest, but you do realize that many people are leaving their dslrs at home because of how good cell phone cameras have gotten? It really seems like its the company form factor that you object to but hey most people want to make their jobs easier, not harder. If someone can get the same image out of a camera that doesn't weight down on them and also allows them to carry more gear hey most people would love that. You dont seem particularly well educated on the merits of the mirrorless world, sir, so I suggest you sit down and go learn something. Go watch a few of Gary Fong's videos. I dont want to move things off track any more, but go watch a few videos of how well the a6300 tracks and tell me that there is any pentax dslr that comes close.

Carry on!

I agree, bigdavephoto!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-09-2016 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Insults removed.
04-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Show me anywhere I have ever said a mirrorless is more like a cellphone. Not everyone wants a light weight camera a little weight helps you hold steady. I am 50 years old I tote my K-3 with 70-200mm F2.8 with a 17-50 and my 90mm macro all day and don't feel that it is that much. I know just as much as you do about the A6300 since neither own them I have watched videos and read reviews just like you have I just read good and bad not just cherry pick the good ones. As far as Gary Fong goes I do not look at him as an all mighty authority when it comes to cameras just because he sales super expensive Tupperware containers claiming they are the best diffuser made which is a crock.

---------- Post added 04-08-16 at 04:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
I agree, bigdavephoto!
I guess you are agreeing with him saying claim one is better than the other makes yourself look foolish since you are the only one claiming the A6300 is better than everything else

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-09-2016 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Insults removed.
04-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Here it is
"You want a camera that is more like your cellphone"
A mirrorless cameras is a camera just the same like a dslr, except without a mirror which changes everything. Most people like paying less and getting more.

Most people don't collapse from the weight of their dslr gear, but you are still are losing around 50% of the weight which helps... I have lugged around big bulky nikon ff gear and while I love it, having the weight of the tiny ist ds (or whatever it was called) really helped. I could shoot for hours. When you aren't bogged down by heavy gear, it unleashes you.

Neither am I saying the a6300 is the better than everything else. I said it's af is about on par with most midrange DSLRs (now maybe I did claim that it tracks better than just about every pentax dslr but please show me on that can track like the 6300 does in videos.) If you are going to shoot an NFL game most people go with the D4s or something. But for the average person it's an amazing value and delivers amazing stills and video. Even the original a6000 from 2014 puts many dslrs to shame. It has cross camera compatibility with memory cards. It works with other cameras accessories. Yes, watch Jason Lanier's wedding shoot on youtube. He puts a canon flash on his a6000 and it works perfectly.

The world of mirrorless is where all the innovation is going these days too. I had no idea so much ignorance could fit into a few sentences. No one here is denying the merits of the K-1. Im sure it's a fine camera. No one here is arguing that mirrorless is for everyone either. Heck, I got some pretty nice shots out of my K20 back in college but you don't seem very educated about the topic at hand, sir.

Here is what I have been shooting occasionally. It's a film era pentax 600-1300mm lens. It weighs 10 lbs and shoot it hand held with my ff dslr.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-09-2016 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Insults removed.
04-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Roflmao.....
04-09-2016, 03:02 AM   #99
Pentaxian

Poor troll... he's trying so hard, it made me shed a tear.

Things that do sell: ugly blobs with the "right" brand
Top 10 Best Selling DSLRs (Digital SLR Cameras) - 2016
Things that didn't sell: designer-made camera
Pentax K-01 - Pentax Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Things with a wonderful design, that sells like hotcakes, yet utterly useless when it comes to many aspects of photography:
iPhone - Apple

Besides, the K-1 is quite good looking, including the "moon lander" LCD device. It gives the right message - ruggedness, dependability; and it's functional. Apparently, a mere web designer is clueless when it comes to things you would use with your own hands.

By the way, here's a work of art, Pentax should learn from it
https://erich-boehm.squarespace.com/design/#/email-newsletter/

Last edited by Kunzite; 04-09-2016 at 03:09 AM.
04-09-2016, 03:37 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Good link,who are websols?....how accurate is their info?
04-09-2016, 03:41 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A little rules reminder: Although debates and discussions are allowed, we would like to maintain a friendly forum and do not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts.
04-09-2016, 03:57 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Good move,sheepy.

---------- Post added 04-09-16 at 09:58 PM ----------

The Wallabies are coming
04-09-2016, 03:59 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let them come! LOL!
04-09-2016, 04:04 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Good link,who are websols?....how accurate is their info?
No idea, I just grabbed the first link returned by Google. The source seems to be some Amazon "sales" chart, thus woefully inaccurate... but my point doesn't require accuracy. Just mentioning popular cameras. Ugly popular cameras.
04-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Here it is
"You want a camera that is more like your cellphone"
How is this me saying a mirrorless camera is like a cellphone. I said you want a camera more like your cellphone and I said that after reading your other post. I have looked at your Flickr and as I suspected you could use a cellphone and get the same pics you spend more time wanting the latest and greatest than you do improving your photography. Every month you fall in love with a new camera and get on here spouting your nonsense about how it is better than anything else last time was the Samsung NX this time A6300. Still trying to figure out why you are even on a Pentax forum other than being a troll.