Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Since you are moving on, or have moved on, I'm curious why you hang out here bashing Pentax? If you don't like what they have done, no problem. If you have something to contribute, no problem. But hanging out here insulting everyone's intelligence? Why is that?
I was trying to figure out same thing looked back at his post and they all are bashing Pentax and saying how everyone else cameras are better he is more worried about gadgets and hi tech features not a single post does he actually make a valid point.

---------- Post added 04-03-16 at 11:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Probably wanted to get it off his chest, and get some feedback on his thoughts.
He has been getting off his chest every since he started posting

04-06-2016, 11:50 PM   #77
Veteran Member

I dont see why they would use the same sensor from the d800 which is a 4 year old camera. Clearly, there is something pretty nifty about the K1 as the iso 51,000 looks pretty nice, but I just dont see why they would borrow the sensor from an older camera.

I think my point about the flexibility of the tilt screen is valid. Doesn't take much to see that it's vastly less flexible than the GH4s.

AF system is kind of a throwback to the days of the 800, too what with the small coverage. Mirrorless change the face of af by giving us 90% coverage and making only being able to focus on a tiny part of the frame a thing of the past.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by neostyles; 04-07-2016 at 12:02 AM.
04-07-2016, 02:01 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
I think my point about the flexibility of the tilt screen is valid. Doesn't take much to see that it's vastly less flexible than the GH4s.
Sure it is, nobody's denying that. After all, the K-1's LCD doesn't work for selfies.
However, my point about the K-1's flexible tilt LCD system being way more usable (at least how I would use it, i.e. no selfies) is equally valid. And perhaps closer to the intended usage
There's also the sturdiness issue, I'm still waiting for a "GH4 hanging from it's LCD, with a 300mmf/4 attached" Youtube video.

Last edited by Kunzite; 04-07-2016 at 02:34 AM.
04-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #79
Veteran Member

I dont see why they would use the same sensor from the d800 which is a 4 year old camera. Clearly, there is something pretty nifty about the K1 as the iso 51,000 looks pretty nice, but I just dont see why they would borrow the sensor from an older camera.

AF system is kind of a throwback to the days of the 800, too what with the small coverage. Mirrorless change the face of af by giving us 90% coverage and making only being able to focus on a tiny part of the frame a thing of the past.

Just my 2 cents.
And mirrorless AF is still not up to par of DSLR's

They could have went with newer sensor but probably would have pushed cost of camera to at least double what it is now.

Your 2 cents is worth about zero

04-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #80
Veteran Member

That's a little bit of a half truth there as some would call it. No the average mirrorless camera can't compete with the $6,000 D4s, but said average mirrorless camera cost 1/6 the amount. The a6300 kicks the crap out of every pentax dslr when it came to autofucus, and probably half the canon/nikon dslr lineup as well. Canon has their dual pixel autofocus, with panasonic it's defocus technology, but pentax doesn't seem to take autofocus seriously.

"They could have went with newer sensor but probably would have pushed cost of camera to at least double what it is now."
This the point of mirrorless - you get the benefit of the latest and greatest advancements in technology without the price tag to boot. I don't know how Pentax can remain competitive when drawing up on 4 year old technology.
04-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #81
Veteran Member

That's a little bit of a half truth there as some would call it. No the average mirrorless camera can't compete with the $6,000 D4s, but said average mirrorless camera cost 1/6 the amount. The a6300 kicks the crap out of every pentax dslr when it came to autofucus, and probably half the canon/nikon dslr lineup as well. Canon has their dual pixel autofocus, with panasonic it's defocus technology, but pentax doesn't seem to take autofocus seriously.

"They could have went with newer sensor but probably would have pushed cost of camera to at least double what it is now."
This the point of mirrorless - you get the benefit of the latest and greatest advancements in technology without the price tag to boot. I don't know how Pentax can remain competitive when drawing up on 4 year old technology.

Instead of bashing Pentax why don't you go by the little cute Sony it seems to meet your needs.
I have read no reviews that says the A6300 beats any Dslr's all the ones I read says it does ok. You are the perfect example of the market the are looking for the ones that want gadgets not cameras you want a camera that is more like your cellphone which is fine but not for me I want a camera. I don't shoot sports so I have had no complaints with the K-3 AF I bought the camera that was the best value that did what I wanted it to do and do it well I don't care about video or touchscreen or any other gimmicks it takes great pictures and that is what I want.

Pentax can remain competitive with four year old tech because it is still the best 36 mp sensor that there is and after they tweaked it it is not the same as the D810.

Not everyone wants mirrorless I know I don't they are to small I actually like bigger cameras that is why my K-5 and K-3 both have grips they felt to small without.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-09-2016 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Insults removed.
04-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-1 vs Sony Alpha a6300 - Our Analysis

I look at this website but sometimes the info can be inaccurate, as an example they both feature a flip out screen"great for movies", well the Sony screen is but it'll be hard to bend the Pentax screen all the way around.

both cams are in different categories, neither are near top of my want list

Last edited by surfar; 04-07-2016 at 05:56 PM.
04-07-2016, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #83

Complete waste of time. Fro Knows FA.
04-07-2016, 11:14 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Wow, I never said the A6300 beats ALL dslrs. Swing and a miss. The point is that dslr autofocusing isn't inherently better. It's more than a match for most mid range dslrs on the market and probably most pentax dslrs.

You just compared a mirrorless camera to a cellphone. I can't. You realize that's like comparing a leaf blower and a garden hose because they are both often found in a garden? I have no problem with not everyone wanting a mirrorless or a dslr, but you remind me of the angry photograper's rant against the world of mirrorless where he called mirrorless more expensive. I used to think mirrorless cameras were all point and shoot and then I spent a few minutes with one and it changed how I think about them completely. Do you think this is a cellphone camera?
Full Frame Camera | High Megapixel 35mm Digital Camera | a7R II | Sony US

It's a great sensor but it's hardly the best
Sony A7R II vs Nikon D800
It's gonna face stiff competition from the above sony beast.

Little hint, 4 year old tech is rarely the best. 4 years ago, we had 1080 and now 4k has become the standard. I mean, seriously dude?
Non mirrored cameras are the future even if DSLRs aren't going away anytime soon. Most people want more for less money, I guess you are content with less for more money. If you can't see how they have changed the market I can't help but ask if you think putting your feet in a bucket of holy water cures measles. Mirrorless just came onto the scene 5 years ago and since then demand and increased dramatically. Pros everywhere are switching. The D5 and D500 from nikon were HUGELY influenced by mirrorless. The D5 has 200+ af point pulled from it's non mirrored cousins where as the K-1 has a measly 33, even less than the 800.

Pentax has some cool tricks up it's sleeve, I never doubted that and Im sure neither have most people. But they seem to be cutting corners to keep the price down. 1080p is starting to become a dated standard, no sense in including it. Even $500 bridge cameras like the fz300 are now including 4k. Nearly 100% coverage in a $1700 camera?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-09-2016 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Insults removed.
04-08-2016, 02:07 AM   #85
Veteran Member

I did not compare a cellphone to mirorless I actually went back and read a lot of your idiotic post you seem to want all the features of a cellphone on a camera.
Still wondering why you are wasting yours and every one else's time bashing Pentax we understand it is not for you so go away. Just because a camera has 425 AF points does not automatically make it better if they do not really improve it Pentax only lags in tracking focus they have proven time and again that they are just as accurate if not more than the others.
You claimed that the A6300 would beat the pants off any Pentax and most Canikon I just stated that I have seen no such proof.
04-08-2016, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #86
Veteran Member

K1 is not the camera for best AF tracking but it the camera for best IQ IMO.
04-08-2016, 03:33 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Best to do an ignore on Neostyles..... has worked for me.
04-08-2016, 03:52 AM   #88
bxf
Veteran Member

The a6300 kicks the crap out of every pentax dslr when it came to autofucus
Any evidence for this?

And, does it apply to all AF functions or just AF tracking?
04-08-2016, 04:33 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Any evidence for this?

And, does it apply to all AF functions or just AF tracking?
I have an A6000 and have to say the AF tracking is remarkable apart from when the subject is coming towards or away from you at speed, then it does skip a beat. I'd say that yes, it is better than Pentax AF tracking (I have the K-3, in fact I have way too many cameras and need to figure out how to sell a bunch of gear).
04-08-2016, 04:56 AM   #90
bxf
Veteran Member

I was specifically trying to distinguish between "better AF tracking" and "kicks the crap out of every pentax dslr when it came to autofucus". These statements are not equivalent, and imply that Pentax AF is poor in all situations. This has already been demonstrated in several publications to be incorrect.