Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #166
Pentaxian

By the way, I found on that other place a thread where people are discussing how Samsung might not be giving up on the NX, and Lytro is the future of the photography. Amazing.

04-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
By the way, I found on that other place a thread where people are discussing how Samsung might not be giving up on the NX, and Lytro is the future of the photography. Amazing.
I saw on the internet that aliens will be landing in 2020 and taking over. They will ban all forms of photography at that point. Various reasons for this are being discussed but no firm conclusion for the aliens implacable hatred of all forms of photography has been agreed on.
04-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #168
Pentaxian

It might have been on the same thread I was reading
04-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #169
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Samsung enigma is a bit strange,an official statement about no more compacts and their Indian plant confirming that.However,nothing about ceasing the NX range?
Nikon NX was denied immediately, Pentax NX has a nice sound though.

04-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #170
Veteran Member

I've been watching light field photography and I think it has amazing potential.. it's just the simple fact that Lytro has about 3 or 4 years more of development to bring it to fruition to actually compete.. still a nice gimmick/toy for now.
With the K-1 being closer to actual launch, things have seemed to die down on the media front when it comes to this camera.. what in the living hell does Ricoh put all the R&D and time in to a product and seemingly have a $5 marketing budget to get these camera's out there and having people lining up to grab them?

Smart marketing as Canon did back in the day to grab dominant market share.. Sydney Australia's summer Olympics came around and Canon GAVE pro photographers their new top of the line camera's and lenses to shoot with.. while Canon marketing photogs took pictures of "The Pro's use Canon".. smart marketing which bolstered their sales in a huge way.

In today's granola/backpacker/hiker/outdoors lifestyle of people who drop wads of cash at places like MEC and Outdoor outfitters and such, how hard would it be to find leading people in those types of area's and set them up with Pentax rugged weather sealed gear. It just seems that no matter what great gear Pentax has on the market, their advertisements seem to be word of mouth from users bases like these forums. I don't even have a Pentax digital in any form anymore (looking at re-aquiring a K-5 or newer) but I love their gear and wish the K-1 came out when it could have competed with my D800.. now it competes and beats the D810 IMHO, but I'm vested in glass and I do enjoy the larger (new) lens selection and higher flash sync speeds. To make my D800 compete with an D810 or K-1 I'm simply going to send it out and have it's Filters pulled.

As for the original thread topic
Jared Polin is a Nikon fanboy at heart, respects the efforts Canon is making in video and in the past year is broadening his thoughts on other gear IMHO. I watch some of this stuff because it can be entertaining while makin' dinner etc..
Always take any you tube streamer or any review site with a grain of salt..
04-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #171
Pentaxian

The problem with Lytro is that it's a solution looking for a problem. And limited exactly in what a camera should do. Anyway:
Lytro CEO confirms exit from consumer photography business, focus on VR: Digital Photography Review

I see some good marketing with the K-1's launch. The pentax.com website is an excellent step up, for example. As for giving up equipment, don't they have the Ambassador program? Isn't one of them - kenspo - a frequent poster on this forum?
It's not like they can outdo Canon and Nikon on the marketing department; overspending there isn't an option (who do you think would pay for it?), and can increase sales only to a point. Let's be reasonable about that.
04-16-2016, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #172
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Wally Styles,did I read this correctly?....you don't actually own a NX1?
Embarrassing, isn't it?

Or a Pentax.

And yet he drops in to this forum from time to time with the latest tidbit he's learned from Ken Rockwell or Tony Northrup.

The latest thing he's gushing about - the Samsung NX system - is a walking corpse, and both he and Osv have been unable to come to terms with that.

Last edited by clackers; 04-16-2016 at 02:16 PM.
04-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
With the K-1 being closer to actual launch, things have seemed to die down on the media front when it comes to this camera.. what in the living hell does Ricoh put all the R&D and time in to a product and seemingly have a $5 marketing budget to get these camera's out there and having people lining up to grab them?
Latest Pop Photo mag has a two page spread. Inside front cover and page one. Plus a full page on page 84, all on the K-1. Just saying...........
04-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
With the K-1 being closer to actual launch, things have seemed to die down on the media front when it comes to this camera..
How more reviews can be done on a camera not released yet I think once it is released there will be more media coverage.
04-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
with the nx1 you can just touch the screen

Ive seen your other thread Styler(nx1 or $#ny a6300), Y don't you go to YT(fro knows)and get their opinion....apparently all the big gun know it alls are there too.

It should fit in with you, they haven't owned them(well some have, at a discount).
04-16-2016, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #176
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just for the record: I only need one accurate focus point. I usually only use the centre point. And, I've only shot video once with my DSLR, so it's safe to say that I don't believe what Pentax are doing or not doing with/for video is going to have an effect on whether I want a K-1 or not. My needs are simple. Good focusing ability, big enough for my big hands, K-mount and built strong and engineered to last. If it can shoot 7fps, I'd be very happy. I won't buy a NX1 (and apparently neither will neostyles) and that pretty much sums it up for me. I certinaly don't need "styling" and I have no need for connectivity beyond what I have now. I want it strong, and I want it to last.
04-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #177
Pentaxian

Everyone who likes photography is blessed in this modern age with choice,its only personal opinion that differentiates what's necessary for the individual.Same as choosing a colour of an item of clothing,said item is going to feel the same regardless of looks.
All modern cameras shoot stills and video,choose your desired direction.
04-18-2016, 02:58 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
... and the K-3 won TIPA's Best Digital SLR Expert award in 2014

In 2015, the KS-2 won the Advanced section award, and there are other Ricoh products in the awards list too
It has begun...
Best Full-Frame DSLR Expert: Pentax K-1
TIPA - TECHNICAL IMAGE PRESS ASSOCIATION - This year's awards

P.S. And also:
Best Design: Ricoh Theta S
Wow... Ricoh Imaging must know a thing or two about design
04-18-2016, 03:27 AM   #179
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed!
04-18-2016, 03:35 AM   #180
bxf
Veteran Member

Nope. The judges are all wrong and have no sense of style. After all, our resident expert was not on the judging panel.