Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
rlatjsrud

Pixel shift with K-1

I don't know exactly about Pixel shift in technical way but I hope K-1 to have pixel shift feature without using the tripod. But since AA simulator always work, won't it be possible to use pixel shift without the tripod for this time since K-1 have better SR?

02-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the pixel shift function has been improved in the K1 so you don't have to use a tripod...
02-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I think the pixel shift function has been improved in the K1 so you don't have to use a tripod...
Do you have any infos about pixel shift with K-3ii?? If that's possible, it should be awesome.

Btw does it provide almost 16 color bit?
02-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Plenty of threads about this, you still need a tripod or something solid to sit the camera on. The "motion compensation" thing refers to small moving areas in an otherwise static scene, such as rustling leaves or wave/cloud motion that might otherwise spoil a PS photo. K-1 has this "motion compensation" thing, K-3II doesn't IIRC.

02-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
I don't know exactly about Pixel shift in technical way but I hope K-1 to have pixel shift feature without using the tripod. But since AA simulator always work, won't it be possible to use pixel shift without the tripod for this time since K-1 have better SR?
I have not seen the user manual for the K-1, but on the K-3II, pixel shift cannot be used at the same time as digital filter, HDR, astrotracer, or AA filter simulation.

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I had not heard that. The feature notes on the Ricoh Japan Web site say this:

* When using this system, the user is advised to stabilize the camera firmly on a tripod during shooting by setting the drive mode to self-timer or remote control, or using the mirror lock-up function.

* When the subject is on the move or camera shake occurs, the desired effect may not be obtained.

Translation? For full effect, the new system works much the same as the old. The difference for the K-1 implementation is that for sections of the frame where motion is detected between exposures, the processing will default to the 1st (default) image. If the whole frame has motion, you get no image enhancement.

Steve
02-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Btw does it provide almost 16 color bit?
No, though it does provide true, non-interpolated, 14-bit color.

Steve
02-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, though it does provide true, non-interpolated, 14-bit color.

Steve
I heard that pixel shift provide similar color to foveon sensor. Foveon sensor use 100% RGB. What is the different between providing 100% of RGB and 16 bit?

02-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Think about it- the pixel shift feature works with adjacent pixels. Any movement in the scene will cause data in those adjacent pixels to differ from what's expected- hence you'll always need a tripod

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Think about it- the pixel shift feature works with adjacent pixels. Any movement in the scene will cause data in those adjacent pixels to differ from what's expected- hence you'll always need a tripod
But AA-Simulator also works with adjaceyting pixels.
02-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But AA-Simulator also works with adjaceyting(sic) pixels.
AA filter simulation is fundamentally different from Pixel shift. AA filter simulation works with a single shot, shifting the sensor slightly during exposure to mimic the birefringent crystals employed in AA filters to prevent moire. Pixel shift takes multiple shots at different sensor positions, and compositing each image so that each pixel in the resulting image has true uninterpolated R,G,B data at each pixel position.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-24-2016 at 07:39 PM.
02-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard that pixel shift provide similar color to foveon sensor.
Curious where you heard that, news to me and I would like to research that can you provide a link please?

As to tripod use I think they were clear on that. It is tripod only and the new functionality allows for small motion such as leaves moving slightly. How well that works remains to be seen.
02-24-2016, 08:21 PM   #12
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Curious where you heard that, news to me and I would like to research that can you provide a link please?

As to tripod use I think they were clear on that. It is tripod only and the new functionality allows for small motion such as leaves moving slightly. How well that works remains to be seen.
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/pixel-shifting-53190
02-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, interesting reading.
02-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #14
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Thanks, interesting reading.
Well I'm still curious about Sigma's sensor since it has great image quality that almost similar to medium format camera. Im not sure about 14 bit or 16 bit for Foveon sensor since it has different idea of sensor I think. It already provide 100% RGB while medium formats have 16bit sensor but normal type.
02-24-2016, 08:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too complicated for me, maybe someone who understands this can comment. I think the specs say 14bit but does that apply to pixel shift? It is not clear to me that they are doing anything but combining 4 images into one with a slight shift between shots. I do not see how that translates into 16bit color, but as I said too complicated for me.