Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 07:17 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
For the newcomers to Pentax....

Hi there guys and girls.....nice that you come to Pentax K-mount and purchased the new K-1!

Here are some first guidelines to stay happy with your K-1.

- What is that buzzing noise?
Don't worry that is the Shake Reduction system that gives you nice stabilised images!

- Wow what noise makes it when I press the shutter button halfway?
You have a lens that is driven by the motor inside the camera with a screw to focus and gives you nice sharp images!

- Why does it go click-slap-clack?
Congratulations, those are the mirror and shutter, you just made your first image!

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 02-26-2016 at 01:13 PM.
02-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LOL,

The first two may actually freak out a Canon or Sony shooter. I switched from Canon 60d to K-5ii and thought mine was broken at first. Then I realized it was just the camera using SR.

Also, I used thought the screw drive was a bit noisy, but after some time I realized it really isn't that bad at all. I became quite accustomed to it and when I use my SDM or HSM lenses I feel like the focus isn't as fast (just feelings of course).

Anyways.... We welcome you Pentax new comers and we hope you love the gear and community as much as we do.
02-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had likewise been thinking about starting up a sort of resource centre to help newcomers to Pentax. Many things we long-time Pentax users take for granted will seem new and a bit confusing to those just coming in.

Not sure what direction this will go, but maybe we could start by listing down stuff a new Pentax user might find helpful to know.

Kind of like an FAQ thing.

I'll throw in a few suggestions.

1. How do I make sense of Pentax lens names, eg. D-FA, FA, FA Limited, FA*, DA, DA Limited, DA*, M, K, A?

2. What about grips? And available flashguns?

3. What is PEF format?

4. What are all these Bright, Normal, Portrait, Bleach Bypass, etc. settings?

5. How do I adjust the ISO parameters?

6. What is Hyper Program? What is TAv?

7. What's that green button do?

etc etc etc etc etc....

I know that the answers to all the above are already in the forum.

But I thought it might be real helpful if these basic things were all "brought under one roof". Easy and fast to use. Would make for a nice "welcome gift " for our new friends, no?
02-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tsk, everyone knows Pentax cameras rattle when shaken because there are some loose screws inside...

02-26-2016, 08:58 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
everyone knows Pentax cameras rattle when shaken because there are some loose screws inside...
No, you misunderstood. It's not the Pentax cameras that have loose screws; it's the Pentax users.
Didn't you read Ken Rocksforbrains' blog?

Last edited by Parallax; 02-27-2016 at 08:57 AM.
02-26-2016, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
02-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PEF is a good reminder - switching to the Adobe standard makes life easier.

02-26-2016, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, you misunderstood. It's not the Pentax cameras that have loose screws; it's the Pentax users.
Didn't you read Ken Rockwell's blog?
Yep, the most dangerous part of a Pentax camera is the loose screw behind the viewfinder.
02-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Putting together a little FF FAQ is a great idea. Don't forget about the clunk noise when the camera is moved around when powered off (which is normal).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I was blown away as I turned from PEF to DNG... LR was so much faster on my windows machine!!!
02-26-2016, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Hi there guys and girls.....nice that you come to Pentax K-mount and purchased the new K-1!

That's me--a Pentax newbee. Since 2000 I've been shooting Canon (mostly, and all the way up to a 5DS) with side trips to Sony (a7r, A99, and then a7R2*), Samsung NX1, etc. The features and especially body shape drew me to the K-1, and I've preordered it along with the Limited 43 and 77. We'll see!

* IMO, the best thing about the Sonys is that one can get lots of Zeiss lenses for them. There are not many Zeisses made for the K-mount, altho I'd sure like to have 35mm and 50mm ZKs.
02-27-2016, 01:28 AM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffreybehr Quote
That's me--a Pentax newbee. Since 2000 I've been shooting Canon (mostly, and all the way up to a 5DS) with side trips to Sony (a7r, A99, and then a7R2*), Samsung NX1, etc. The features and especially body shape drew me to the K-1, and I've preordered it along with the Limited 43 and 77. We'll see!

* IMO, the best thing about the Sonys is that one can get lots of Zeiss lenses for them. There are not many Zeisses made for the K-mount, altho I'd sure like to have 35mm and 50mm ZKs.
Get the 31mm. I think it will do more for you.
02-27-2016, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Didn't you read *censored* blog?
Bad mistake there. You forgot to use the alias Ben Bouldergood...now the guy gets a few more google hits, a few more clicks on his site to feed his family

Last edited by Rorschach; 02-27-2016 at 01:51 AM.
02-27-2016, 01:48 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
Bad mistake there. You forgot to use the alias Ben Bouldergood...now the guy gets a few more google hits, a few more clicks on his site to feed his family
And you did the same mistake by quoting his name.
02-27-2016, 01:51 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
And you did the same mistake by quoting his name.
You are right....fixed now