02-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-1 INTERFACE-FIRMWARE-FIASCO

So, the FULL FRAME camera is here
and leaves us all:
STUNNED.

From what i have seen until now:

Most features are highly appreciated, like the Pixel-Shift-Resolution, 5-axis stabilization, a Display that can finally be moved a bit.
Headphone jack. Better stabilization in video-mode, the fact that it finally really is a FF-DSLR..., WiFi, GPS, NFC finally integrated into the body itself...
Better Live-Mode, enhanced Viewfinder, better AF.C...(*thumbs up*), wind noise reduction in video,
Real-Time-Scene-Analysis with Artificial Intelligence that keeps on learning along as you use it.. WOW!

On the other hand some funny things keep us part laughing, part smiling and leave question marks to people who know,
that just ONE button could be used for several functions in a lot of way and there are a
lot of options that could have replaced the wheel jungle.
H.264 instead of H.265???

(How? I am not willing to explain that here. As it is not my job. )

Still the question is unanswered: "Why the hell did we move so far away from the superior design of the K-5IIS?"

and: "What should all these wheels, that crippled my beautiful LCD and took money that was to go into more CPU power, BE ACTUALLY GOOD FOR?"

THIS IS WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD! PLZ EXPLAIN WHAT THOSE WHEELS ARE GOOD FOR AND WHAT THE NEW FIRMWARE CAN DO!

If you posses a Pre-Production-Model with up to date firmware, PLZ be so kind and explain the firmware a bit, whats new, whats hot, whats not etc., what moved...
A youtube video that shows every menu entry would be very welcome. How are the haptics of the interface elements? do the wheels stop? soft stop? clunky? good?

If you can contribute, plz feel free to do so and explain what all those wheels are good for in detail and what the camera teases us with, so "wheel" cool down a bit.

Do not try to kill my criticism that i wrote in another threads and you may read out of the facts i listed here...
That does not belong here, and this is not the Soviet Union and you are not KGB.

BTW, RICOH IS ACTUALLY HAPPY TO GET CRITICAL FEEDBACK. I WROTE THEM A LETTER AND THEY ANSWERED.

02-26-2016, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I must have missed something - what's the "interface firmware fiasco"?

Fiasco meaning "a complete failure, especially a ludicrous or humiliating one" - is that what has happened?
02-26-2016, 09:08 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Huh? This looks like some weird right wing newsletter my aunt would share on facebook. Why so many fonts and such strange formatting?

I'm am really looking forward to the function dial on top. I need/want as much manual control as possible so I don't have to menu dive all the damn time. This does it elegantly by replacing a camera covered in tiny individual buttons, with a much more flexible 2 wheel system. Why is that bad?
02-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Because he doesn't have a point, and tries to compensate for that by shouting? He and Ron Hendricks should start a club...

L.E. I'll form an opinion about the new interface elements after trying the camera myself, with an open mind (i.e. making it work to my advantage, instead of complaining about every little change). So far, it seems OK, I can see a few settings I might use.

Last edited by Kunzite; 02-26-2016 at 09:15 AM.
02-26-2016, 09:12 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Hum, this thread feel pretty aggressive and doesn't say much except "I'm not able to search YouTube to watch one of the several menu go-through video".
02-26-2016, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This reads like something from the tinfoil hat brigade. It actually makes me think the K-1 is better than I did before seeing that wall of nonsense text that started this thread.
02-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh are the Borg... Resistance is futile
Really, I think you should try out the K-1 and the new interface first before going off on one. Your post is quite eye catching though

02-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Firmware fiasco? Manifested in a new customizable wheel?

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
(How? I am not willing to explain that here. As it is not my job. )
Wait, you know the answer, but are asking the question? What is the question? Did a firmware
fiasco generate a new customizable wheel? I'll go out on a limb and say "No". Now, deep breath...
02-26-2016, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Big Font - Capital Letters!

so it must be important
02-26-2016, 09:28 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think what @Patarok is trying to say is:

(1) The K-1 seems to have some great features, but...
(2) ... he's disappointed with the video specs and...
(3) ... he's not too keen on that new wheel

Sorry, my summary is only three lines long and doesn't benefit from large fonts / bright red colouring / underlining - but I think I pretty much covered it, right?
02-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I think he's trying to jump ship to Nikon, leaving as much damage behind as he can...
02-26-2016, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

FIASCO ??? why?? because you dont like it?? most of us i believe that actually love it.. this camera have a lot of things that makes it unique.. and yes, it also have some things that could get better in the future.. but that doesnt make it a FIASCO as he call it.. but for $1800 this is a really really really impressive camera.
02-26-2016, 09:47 AM - 11 Likes   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

sigh_
Closed

Last edited by Parallax; 02-26-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Closed Thread