Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2016, 06:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, not exactly a credible list this. As nice as it is for K1 to be on there, to have something untested and unavailable on there doesn't exactly inspire me with any confidence in Adorama's recommendations. I for one HATE it when I find the perfect XYZ online and it's only available on preorder or it's out of stock.

02-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think it's premature, but it is from Adorama, and they are in the business of selling cameras, so....
02-27-2016, 07:18 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Credible or not... does it really matters?
The thing here is that Pentax was mentioned (as Zafar Iqbal said), without a full frame camera it would not be on that list (despite having the 645z - the list ignores medium format).
02-27-2016, 07:55 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

I'd think having an integrated, portable flash system with capabilities beyond what Ricoh offers in their system would be a very useful feature for a professional wedding photographer. But of course there are work-arounds that let you get by but I'd think that would a significant feature.

02-27-2016, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
pixel shift for portraiture... really?
After the reception- when guests are passed out drunk.

Or maybe Adorama is going to bring back those old Victorian-day posing stands with the neck clamp to help keep you from moving.
02-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, not all cameras have two slots.
- Canon EOS 5Ds has two slots, one CF and one SD. IMO that's the wrong way of doing things (for redundancy), as you'd need to have two card types.
Actually that is the right way of doing redundancy.
If you have two identical systems and a situation arises that causes a fault in one of them, chances are high that the identical system next to it will get the same fault.
02-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Actually that is the right way of doing redundancy.
If you have two identical systems and a situation arises that causes a fault in one of them, chances are high that the identical system next to it will get the same fault.
Is that chance high? I suspect if that were the case, RAID 1 storage would be a bit more complicated in practice.

I do understand the concept that an unforeseen event might affect all similar devices in the vicinity. (Didn't the Space Shuttle have a number of computers, one of them independently programmed?) But if the aim is to protect against the "common" problems of a drive writing nonsense, or a card being lost or damaged, having the same type won't matter. (And if the problems is within the camera, before the data is sent separately to the drives, having two types of card won't solve the problem).

02-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Is that chance high?
No, not until it happens. However, that is the right way of doing it.
02-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Unless you can prove it with statistical data, I'll disagree
"Chances are high"? That's just an assumption, you don't know that. What we do know are the limitation of having to work with two types of cards. You would have to have enough of both types, and can't flexibly use a card in either slot.
In the end is not a big deal and can be solved by buying more cards, however this kind of solution is designed to allow you to use either SD or CFs, not for "extra" reliability.
02-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
however this kind of solution is designed to allow you to use either SD or CFs, not for "extra" reliability.
I suppose the intent is also to allow owners moving from previous models that only used CF to gracefully transition to SD. Not a problem for Pentax, I think they have always been SD. But for users with a pocket full of CF cards it might make a difference.
I'm not sure I follow the logic on using two different card types for redundancy. Two different cards, yes. Unless the thought is the controller dies and thus either destroys one of the cards or just refuses to work. But surely if that happened it would affect both cards. From a theoretical view yes, having independent and different systems makes sense. But in this case we are talking about pretty much the same thing, two different media types but still the same thing. CF and SD readers on my computer are integrated on the same controller and USB port.
Now if you had a system that writes to the local memory card and also over WiFi sends the file to the cloud or a computer then maybe I see that as redundant.
02-28-2016, 02:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Without a tried and tested focus system yet I find that hard to believe. I can't see the K-1 matching the performance of my D810 just yet in regards to focus.
Not all wedding shooters shoot D810, or even D750. Many wedding shooters happily use the Canon 6D. All that the 6D's 11-point AF has going for it is it's -3EV sensitivity, and the Canon AF algorithms. I feel confident that the K-1 will be able to do better.

The K-1 may even give the Canon 5DIII, (the camera most wedding shooters world-wide use, I suspect) a run for it's money, just on the AF specs.

However I agree that the most direct and interesting comparison will be between the D810 and K-1. I await those reviews and comparisons with great interest.
02-28-2016, 04:12 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm not sure I follow the logic on using two different card types for redundancy. Two different cards, yes. Unless the thought is the controller dies and thus either destroys one of the cards or just refuses to work.
Two different card types also means that you will not put in two identical cards from the same production run with, possibly, the same manufacturing fault. Still a smal chance that that will happen, but that is what redundancy is all about, making sure that one fault will not kill the system. Having two identical systems that will fail with the same fault is a weaker type of a redundancy.
02-28-2016, 05:17 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Are you saying that RAID is the wrong solution?
No offense, but you're insisting on a marginal possibility. What if cards are not from the same production run? What if they are, but they don't exhibit "the same manufacturing fault"? What if the cards don't see identical usage? How many people had two of their cards failing simultaneously?
02-28-2016, 06:01 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the reason to buy or not buy a K-1 comes down to whether the dual card slot does or does not use identical format cards, their work is done.
02-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Actually Adoroma saying it is one of the best wedding cameras before it is released is no worse than all the people on here judging the AF before it is even tested or claiming other things are not up to par. I am just glad to see someone being optimistic about the camera instead of all the negativity of so called fans of the brand.