Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 07:08 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No offense, but you're insisting on a marginal possibility. What if cards are not from the same production run? What if they are, but they don't exhibit "the same manufacturing fault"? What if the cards don't see identical usage? How many people had two of their cards failing simultaneously?
So you are wondering what happens if it doesn't break? Well, I guess it works as it is supposed to.

---------- Post added 02-28-2016 at 03:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If the reason to buy or not buy a K-1 comes down to whether the dual card slot does or does not use identical format cards, their work is done.
Personally I don't need two cards in the camera at the same time so I'm good. I just remarked on the statement that having two different solutions is the wrong way of doing redundancy, when it actually is the right way, if the best form of redundancy is the goal.

02-28-2016, 07:46 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I think the Adorama rationale regarding the K-1 as a wedding camera was fine. A listing of the K-1's rugged body build, it's excellent sensor, the availability of many fine heritage lenses, suitable for wedding photography. I've seen a few images...on the internet...of photographs taken with the K-1...so far so good.

But like any equipment ...no matter the brand...I'd still want to try, before I buy.

I don't see much of anything to get worked up about in the Adorama advertisement. In fact as a Pentaxian, it's nice to see the K-1 being promoted by a large retailer.
02-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The purpose of redundancy is not to account for every contingency, no matter how remote; it is to protect against the most likely causes of data loss. And, no system can protect against stupidity or carelessness. The cost of the solution is proportional to the likelihood of the failure for which it is designed. No in camera system can protect against total loss of the camera such as theft or catastrophic destruction. The problem is exacerbated if the memory cards are stored with the camera, and who doesn't do that at least some of the time? The safest redundancy, as someone else mentioned earlier, is the automatic transmission of the images to a cloud-based or other remote facility. With built-in Wi-Fi that is at least possible but I don't know how feasible it is. Currently, the K-1, the K-S2 and the K-3/K-3 II with flucard have that capability. Third party solutions exist but are not entirely satisfactory as far as I've seen.
02-28-2016, 08:03 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
But like any equipment ...no matter the brand...I'd still want to try, before I buy. I don't see much of anything to get worked up about in the Adorama advertisement. In fact as a Pentaxian, it's nice to see the K-1 being promoted by a large retailer.
+1.Of course the folks at Adorama have, most likely, had a chance to test the camera already at least informally. So I suspect they really do have a good idea of what the camera is capable of. Having it included in this list is very nice, and hopefully it arrives before wedding season

02-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Personally I don't need two cards in the camera at the same time so I'm good. I just remarked on the statement that having two different solutions is the wrong way of doing redundancy, when it actually is the right way, if the best form of redundancy is the goal.
Since you insist so much of you being right and me being wrong, I'll give up; it's pointless to continue. Believe what you want.
I've made my point - that having 2 card types is a bit more inconvenient as you can't have a single set of cards and mix them freely. Anyone else besides you can decide if it's valid or not.
02-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
Actually Adoroma saying it is one of the best wedding cameras before it is released is no worse than all the people on here judging the AF before it is even tested or claiming other things are not up to par. I am just glad to see someone being optimistic about the camera instead of all the negativity of so called fans of the brand.
being ignored is a sure sign that you're interrupting a good argument with common sense ... shhh!
02-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
So you are wondering what happens if it doesn't break? Well, I guess it works as it is supposed to.

---------- Post added 02-28-2016 at 03:13 PM ----------

The whole reason for having two cards is so that you have two copies of your images. The odds of having two SD cards fail can't actually be that much different from having one SD card and one CF card fail. As Kunitz says, it is awfully handy to have interchangeable cards. The big thing in general, is to keep track of your card's ages and stop using really old ones.
02-29-2016, 05:57 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The whole reason for having two cards is so that you have two copies of your images. The odds of having two SD cards fail can't actually be that much different from having one SD card and one CF card fail. As Kunitz says, it is awfully handy to have interchangeable cards. The big thing in general, is to keep track of your card's ages and stop using really old ones.
There's no "better" solution.
One is safer, the other more convenient.
I'd say that two different cards with two different controllers is better that two cards sharing the same controller.
I'd personally like two same-type slots (e.g. SD) each with a dedicated controller, but can't talk about the likelihood of that happening.

02-29-2016, 06:16 AM   #39
Pentaxian

One is safer, only after this was measurably proved. It's the same as with performance (in software development): you cannot use "common sense" and guessing; you must measure it in order to know. Otherwise you could make some very wrong assumptions.
02-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
One is safer, only after this was measurably proved. It's the same as with performance (in software development): you cannot use "common sense" and guessing; you must measure it in order to know. Otherwise you could make some very wrong assumptions.
Of course.