Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 06:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Nope. It is vibration caused by the shutter mechanism. SR hasn't compensated for that up till now. And SR is turned off in situations where you would use it, mirror up, delayed shutter release. Long lenses, long exposures.
Its says mirror vibration in the text I quote, so I would say it would after compensate that effect to degree. Yes?

02-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #17
Pentaxian

If so that is a new and welcome development. I have my doubts though.
02-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #18
osv
Pentaxian

this is what shutter shake looks like on the a7r, the k-1 in live view/mup mode would be some variation of it?? http://www.kasson.com/ll/a7R_shutter_annotated.png

it looks like fairly high-frequency stuff, i wish that they would have quantified the frequencies, but i have to wonder if any ff shake reduction system can flap around to match those variable pulses... maybe if the frequencies were pre-programmed in first, instead of having to sense it in real time? efcs just seems so much easier.

maybe focus the dslr in mf live view, at full magnification, then immediately turn off live view to take the shot? less shutter shake, and mirror flap vibration could give less distortion.

live view mag on this camera is higher than the 14.4x on my a7r: "Field of View approx. 100%, Magnified view (up to 16x)" ...very cool for mf use!

" Electronically controlled vertical-run focal plane shutter
* Electronic shutter when using Pixel Shift Resolution"
Specifications | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING

nothing in there about efcs for live view.
02-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The A7r is known for its harsh, loud shutter release; I would be surprised if the K-1 won't be significantly better. And, more mass helps here.

02-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #20
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The A7r is known for its harsh, loud shutter release; I would be surprised if the K-1 won't be significantly better. And, more mass helps here.
agree with all that, if you need to quantify k-1 shutter shake artifacting, the d810 link i posted would probably be more accurate... but that's not why i posted the a7r ss photo.

the a7rii has basically the same shutter as the a7r, the shutter shake measures out to be nearly the same... nobody talks about it because of the xlnt efcs implementation on the a7rii.

canon also redesigned the 5ds/5dsr shutter, but they still warn against mirror flap:

"Minimize any slight vibrations from mirror movement
Canon engineers have taken the first step here with a mirror system that’s now motor driven and cushioned at the upper and lower ends by a sophisticated mechanical system (not a simple foam pad or similar “solutions”). Regardless, especially at those critical slower shutter speeds like 1/125th down to perhaps 1/2 or 1 full second, EOS 5DS and 5DS R users can help. Consider trying Live View (especially with Silent Shooting Mode 1 or 2 active).
Or, use conventional Mirror Lock, ideally with a Remote Control switch (electronic cable release). Mirror Lock now also has delay settings, from 1/8th to 2 full seconds, for shooters who want to continue to use the eye-level viewfinder, but achieve the benefits of letting the camera “settle down” from any fine harmonic mirror vibrations before the shutter opens"
https://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2015/eos5ds-eos5dsr-files.htmlp

that entire link is interesting reading.
02-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The shutter and mirror are different things, albeit both contribute to exposure shake

Point taken re. the A7 series. But, there the shutter shake really was a problem from what I see, thus a solution was "desperately" needed. EFCS is one such solution.

The K-1... we'll have to see about it, how well the new mirror's dampening mechanism works. If it has the Live View Electronic Shutter option, that would be its solution. If it doesn't, well, it's MLU + let's see if the shutter does induce some shake or not.

Checking back, in the Ephotozine's video where I've seen the K-1 with this option, it had firmware v0.38. Another video had it also shown, though it appeared grayed out. The Pentaxforums' video shows a K-1 without the option, they don't say which firmware version - just that it's "beta".
At this point, I can't say if it was removed (as derekkite suggested) or added.