Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elementdtlop Quote
whats the zoom on a k3/k3ii in live view if the k1 is going to be 16x. i forget what the k50 is but im almost positive its less than that. how about the ks-2 or k5 iis
Seems to be 6x on my K-50

03-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #17
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by elementdtlop Quote
whats the zoom on a k3/k3ii in live view if the k1 is going to be 16x. i forget what the k50 is but im almost positive its less than that. how about the ks-2 or k5 iis
"Alternatively you can use manual focus in Live View mode(k3ii), with up to 10x magnification available via the OK button to help you fine-tune the focus (you can also use the OK button to magnify the subject by up to 10x when Auto Focus is on)." Pentax K-3 II Review | PhotographyBLOG

so if the k-1 16x magnification spec refers live view, as expected, it could be a big step up from the k3ii 10x mag... but is it 16x native, extrapolated, or ??

for example, the a7r evf is 36mp/14.4x, but the a7rii evf went backwards, 42mp/12.2x i think... sony tried to compensate on the a7rii with a different diopter in front of the evf tho.

note that magnification level chimping the shot after it's taken is not usually the same thing as live view, afaik most cameras chimp at higher mag levels than they can use in live view.

the other thing to look for with the k-1 is whether or not it's really a wysiwyg live view: "The K-3's live view display behaves just like it did on earlier Pentax bodies: it does not offer a real-time preview of the actual exposure. Instead, it always tries to keep the scene properly-exposed and this impacts the utility of the histogram and highlight alert features." Pentax K-3 Review - User Interface | PentaxForums.com Reviews

sony gives you a choice in the evf for both that kind of behavior, or true wysiwg, it's a menu setup item... both methods have their place, but wysiwg is far preferable for most shooting situations.
03-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Seems to be 6x on my K-50

Starts off at six, goes to ten.