Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focus peaking

Does anybody know anything about the focus peaking feature in K-1?

I hope that Ricoh has made some improvements like changing color, quick zoom in, split screen etc. That would be great using manual lenses. If not I hope they will in new firmware. They should be inspired by Sony/Fuji/Olympus because their peaking is far better than the peaking in current K-3.

03-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't you need an EVF for the quick zoom function? If Pentax managed this, Id drop Sony in a heartbeat as Im addicted to the zoom in to focus aids - it's the only reason I have an a6000
03-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
Don't you need an EVF for the quick zoom function? If Pentax managed this, Id drop Sony in a heartbeat as Im addicted to the zoom in to focus aids - it's the only reason I have an a6000
They've had auto quick zoom while manually focusing for a while. My Q-S1 has it. Its on the LCD and not in the viewfinder, though.
03-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure the K-1 will have focus peaking as good as or better than on the K-3 cameras. Edgedemon, my K-x has a quick zoom feature on the rear LCD while using Live View. I'm sure this will also be present on the K-1, since its on every camera since the K-x. Therefore, my NEX will be for sale as soon as I take delivery of the K-1.

03-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The focus peaking works just like on all other Pentax bodies. There's definitely room for improvement since even the GR has had multiple zebra patters for a while.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Don't you need an EVF for the quick zoom function?
Ummmm, no...

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
They've had auto quick zoom while manually focusing for a while.
What he said. There is nothing special about the quick zoom in the various EVF cameras except that several models feature magnification greater than the native sensor resolution using extrapolated (best guess) data to even out the display.

As for the K-1 focus peaking implimentation...I hope it has higher sensitivity (less slop) than the system used on the K-3 or perhaps maybe even tuneable?

Steve
03-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by x-country Quote
Does anybody know anything about the focus peaking feature in K-1?

I hope that Ricoh has made some improvements like changing color, quick zoom in, split screen etc. That would be great using manual lenses. If not I hope they will in new firmware. They should be inspired by Sony/Fuji/Olympus because their peaking is far better than the peaking in current K-3.
the k-1 has 16x(!) magnification, if you are serious about accurate mf, that's the only way to fly.

03-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Then you should have switched several years ago, Edgedemon - even my K-30 (no spring chicken) has this.
03-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by x-country Quote
They should be inspired by Sony/Fuji/Olympus because their peaking is far better than the peaking in current K-3.

I use manual lenses quite a bit.

The only real difference I appreciate is that my Sony will let you change the colour. The Pentax white doesn't suit when the scene contains bright elements - yellow or red are much nicer.

Having said that,

1. If you turn on the flashing red highlight warning, this can work in conjunction with the focus peaking in a bright scene - you look for where they coincide and fine tune appropriately.

2. Magnification is more dependable anyway. In a high contrast scene, the focus peaking can be optimistic, and in a low contrast scene, it may not display at all!

Ultimately, the split prism focus screen in my K-30 is faster and more reliable than either Live View method, but unfortunately/understandably, the new Heads Up Display stuff in the K-1 means its screen can't be swapped out.

Last edited by clackers; 03-02-2016 at 01:15 AM.
03-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
They've had auto quick zoom while manually focusing for a while. My Q-S1 has it. Its on the LCD and not in the viewfinder, though.
Yep, I use it on my K3II all of the time
03-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
Forum Member

whats the zoom on a k3/k3ii in live view if the k1 is going to be 16x. i forget what the k50 is but im almost positive its less than that. how about the ks-2 or k5 iis
03-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
2. Magnification is more dependable anyway. In a high contrast scene, the focus peaking can be optimistic, and in a low contrast scene, it may not display at all!
Yep!

Steve
03-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elementdtlop Quote
whats the zoom on a k3/k3ii in live view
8.3x is full resolution. It will go to 16x.

Steve
03-02-2016, 12:00 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm talking peaking using the display of course.

For quick manual focus I'd like to see the whole frame and an enlarged part at the same time. It would also be sweet with a quick way of getting there, one button push and a preset enlarged scale.
03-02-2016, 12:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

i am pretty thrilled with the focus peaking feature on both my 645Z and the K3II and use it on both routinely. I do not know what features the other brand may have so maybe I do not miss what I do know about.

Not sure what you mean by quick zoom but i recall when i press 'OK' I am fully zoomed in to the center of the field which is good, but to navigate around in larger steps, i zoom out a couple of clicks to move the cursor quicker. I find it very useful but perhaps you are referring to something else?