Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
The biggest change for me to get used to will be field of view on lenses. I am used to grabbing one thinking of the field of view I am used to, and now my 12-24 on the K1 will have the same field of view my 8-16 does on my K3. The focal lengths are still whatever is on the lens, and the apertures are still the same too, just the field of view will be the biggest change with the lenses I have.
Yes and know. Technically it becomes the view and handling of the 8-16... practically it will be a 16-24 because you cannot really use the 12mm on FF because of the crazy vignetting. This stops at 16mm in the corners. But it's still a pretty lovely wide angle

03-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

And to put an answer to this threads question:

K-1 So What Is Full Frame Going To Provide Over A Crop Frame DSLR?

what will it provide, what will it provide...

Given the fact, that you have FF lenses: app 36MP resolution and dead slow burst framerates. like 4.4fps

Given the fact, that you have only DA lenses(which are not FF capable): 16MP resolution photos at a still very low framerate.
Even compared to K-5! Yes the K-5 is still faster...*facepalm*

a very small mono-LCD display, so if you want to save energy while doing street photography, and dont need the big LCD for reviewing, cause ya now what you are doing and turn off the big screen, you gain the "Ahrgh-I-can't-read-anything-of-this-small-sh...-Arhg-argh"-moment
---->
Honestly? an e-ink display would have fitted in here, because of the possibility to show loads of different info on such a screen compared to screens that where in use when things like the walkman were invented.

Given the fact, that you like to do video: ahm... not really a difference to the nearly 3 years old K-3... hm.

funky funky display, funky funky wheels.

OK, the real dealbreaker could be that it actually is a FF body, so this gets you back to the sensing you had on analog film bodies like the ESII, Z-bodies etc., but that does only mean something for a very few people...

5-axis stabilization... yes. good point.

WiFi with... with... with... hold on... actually we often saw PP-body pictures of a body, with an NFC emblem on it? Didn't we?... hm. wonder, where this one has gone.

all those are reasons for me to surely NOT buy it new.

I would rather consider a K-S2 to have a little display and wifi(hey...what?with NFC?yes with NFC!) fun.
at least this one shows its funky attitude as a whole...
and offers 21MP APS-C resolution with nearly the same framerate as the 15MP mode on the *cough**cough*"brand new" K-1....

I hope i dont score the next point Godwin with this posting. At least i spared out the capital letters this time.
03-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

The biggest change for me to get used to will be field of view on lenses. I am used to grabbing one thinking of the field of view I am used to, and now my 12-24 on the K1 will have the same field of view my 8-16 does on my K3. The focal lengths are still whatever is on the lens, and the apertures are still the same too, just the field of view will be the biggest change with the lenses I have.
Most of my photography experience (such as it is!) has been with APS-C cameras. I only recently added a FF camera (non-Pentax, obviously) to my kit. I haven't found it difficult to mentally visualise the difference in field of view and pick the necessary focal length accordingly - that has come pretty much automatically. Strangely, though, what I'm still getting used to is judging what aperture to use for the required depth of field. I'm so used to knowing in my head what f/2.8 or f/5.6 looks like on my DA lenses... But when I'm shooting my FF, I find myself having to think about stopping down further. Several times I've found myself taking a shot at f/2.8 on FF and - after the fact - realising that I have the same shallow depth of field as f/1.8 on my usual APS-C cameras... It's not a big problem, but it's curious
03-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #19
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
Yes and know. Technically it becomes the view and handling of the 8-16... practically it will be a 16-24 because you cannot really use the 12mm on FF because of the crazy vignetting. This stops at 16mm in the corners. But it's still a pretty lovely wide angle
I'm actually using the Sigma 12-24, which is a FF lens since I didn't think the Pentax version would work other than in crop mode.

---------- Post added 03-04-16 at 04:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Most of my photography experience (such as it is!) has been with APS-C cameras. I only recently added a FF camera (non-Pentax, obviously) to my kit. I haven't found it difficult to mentally visualise the difference in field of view and pick the necessary focal length accordingly - that has come pretty much automatically. Strangely, though, what I'm still getting used to is judging what aperture to use for the required depth of field. I'm so used to knowing in my head what f/2.8 or f/5.6 looks like on my DA lenses... But when I'm shooting my FF, I find myself having to think about stopping down further. Several times I've found myself taking a shot at f/2.8 on FF and - after the fact - realising that I have the same shallow depth of field as f/1.8 on my usual APS-C cameras... It's not a big problem, but it's curious
I can only imagine how that will feel. When I first went from my old Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 to the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 it was crazy how much that DOF makes a difference.

03-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ACG Quote
I predicted that the demand for the manual pentax legacy glass would increase once pentax released their first FF camera. I will watch the second hand websites with interest!!
I think you are right. So excited to see the performance of these older ASAHI lenses I have, but I always have this itchy feeling in my head, that I won't to get the manual focus managed. Are there any ressources here how to effectively learn to use manual focus? I remember how disappointed I was when I first got the 50er 1.7 and messed up literally all shots open wide on my K-x back then.

I'm actually using the Sigma 12-24, which is a FF lens since I didn't think the Pentax version would work other than in crop mode.
Ah Ok, we are talking about different lenses then. I assume that the K1 will work like the K1000 in regards of the viewfinder and vignetting. And on my K1000 the vignettes disappear at 18, so I thought that the K1 will have a nice 18-24mm when it arrives

Last edited by i5_david; 03-04-2016 at 02:37 PM.
03-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am looking forward to being able to crop more deeply into my images while still maintaining respectable IQ.
03-04-2016, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Emperor and Senpai

I really do think the K1 and K3 are going to be the perfect companion cameras. different tools for different things.
03-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I really do think the K1 and K3 are going to be the perfect companion cameras. different tools for different things.
I couldn't agree more. What a kit bag... K1 + K3... It'll be a few years before I can justify a K1 - a tough choice I already made - but until then, I'll work with my existing FF plus my K3/K3II. Not unexpectedly, I curently find myself still gravitating to my Pentax cameras day-to-day, and using my FF on a more considered basis when the situation is right

03-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote

I hope i dont score the next point Godwin with this posting. At least i spared out the capital letters this time.
And still you missed the obvious:

(1) Large photo sites mean less noise, more dynamic range, more color depth

(2) If you use the entire frame, you have more detail.

(3) If you are photographing moving stuff {like BIF} you have a bigger net to throw around it, and thus a better chance of something you can crop down to.

(4) Based on my time at a more generic photo discussion forum, much of the photography world is noticing Pentax {and not laughing}
03-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote

Given the fact, that you have FF lenses: app 36MP resolution and dead slow burst framerates. like 4.4fps

Given the fact, that you have only DA lenses(which are not FF capable): 16MP resolution photos at a still very low framerate.
Even compared to K-5! Yes the K-5 is still faster...*facepalm*

a very small mono-LCD display, so if you want to save energy while doing street photography, and dont need the big LCD for reviewing, cause ya now what you are doing and turn off the big screen, you gain the "Ahrgh-I-can't-read-anything-of-this-small-sh...-Arhg-argh"-moment
---->
Honestly? an e-ink display would have fitted in here, because of the possibility to show loads of different info on such a screen compared to screens that where in use when things like the walkman were invented.

Given the fact, that you like to do video: ahm... not really a difference to the nearly 3 years old K-3... hm.

funky funky display, funky funky wheels.

OK, the real dealbreaker could be that it actually is a FF body, so this gets you back to the sensing you had on analog film bodies like the ESII, Z-bodies etc., but that does only mean something for a very few people...

5-axis stabilization... yes. good point.

WiFi with... with... with... hold on... actually we often saw PP-body pictures of a body, with an NFC emblem on it? Didn't we?... hm. wonder, where this one has gone.

all those are reasons for me to surely NOT buy it new.

I would rather consider a K-S2 to have a little display and wifi(hey...what?with NFC?yes with NFC!) fun.
at least this one shows its funky attitude as a whole...
and offers 21MP APS-C resolution with nearly the same framerate as the 15MP mode on the *cough**cough*"brand new" K-1....

C'mon, Pat... You get banned, you come back and at the first opportunity you're back to all the negative stuff? Is that how it's going to be?
03-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
C'mon, Pat... You get banned, you come back and at the first opportunity you're back to all the negative stuff? Is that how it's going to be?
Banned again - called it!
03-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I don't think there is any magnification going on, rather you are recording a smaller section of the viewed image onto your sensor.
That is the kind of thing purists can argue all night about. Frankly, I don't care what words are used to describe the following phenomena:

(1) In the viewfinder {or LCD}, regardless of the size of the sensor, the entire image is shown at a fixed-size that a human eye can take in. If the pixels are taken from a smaller sensor, then that smaller area of light is displayed over the same area of display that would be used to display a larger area of light from a larger sensor, so it has the same effect as would using a lens of a longer focal length.

(2) Any final display does the same sort of thing as in (1); regardless of the size of the sensor, the final image is "normalized" to a given size.

Thus, regardless of how you view the image, a certain area of reality received by a smaller sensor takes up more linear space in the image/display than it would if it were captured by a larger sensor. For many of us, that is a good working definition of "magnification" ... but you can choose to use whatever word you want to.
03-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I've been looking at a lot of images here from a lot of sensor sizes lately, and I have to say that the bigger the sensor, the more space there seems to be in the image - even in identical views.
I don't even know what this means.

---------- Post added 5th Mar 2016 at 11:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Banned again - called it!
?? Why banned?
03-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #29
Pentaxian

For me, the coolest part of FF is getting nice ISO 12800 and the 24mm being wide
Especially fast 24mm lenses...24mm f1.4 shot wide open on a full frame is a look I like (subjective, I know).
03-04-2016, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
?? Why banned?
Something about not adhering to the conditions of his parole...

Steve