Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 75 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The biggest advantage to the K1 full frame is you can still shoot crop if you want. So any advantages crop has the K1 has it

03-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #32
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
The biggest advantage to the K1 full frame is you can still shoot crop if you want. So any advantages crop has the K1 has it
Yes, but at a lower resolution than the K3 / K3II... still good, though, no doubt...
03-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #33
Pentaxian

The K-1 is crop is 15 MP, the K-3 is 24. Almost anyone who paid the big bucks to upgrade form a 16 MP K-5 to a 24 MP K-3 is not going to be happy with that, but, if you're still shooting with a K-5 or K-5II, yes it's true.
03-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The K-1 is crop is 15 MP, the K-3 is 24. Almost anyone who paid the big bucks to upgrade form a 16 MP K-5 to a 24 MP K-3 is not going to be happy with that, but, if you're still shooting with a K-5 or K-5II, yes it's true.
Well then it's not a full frame vs crop debate it's a k1 vs k3 debate. Not all full frame or all crop sensor cameras are made equal.

K3 has faster fps if we're comparing the K1 and K3 directly.

K1 has built in wifi/GPS. How much it affects battery life will be interesting to find out

03-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Well then it's not a full frame vs crop debate it's a k1 vs k3 debate. Not all full frame or all crop sensor cameras are made equal.

K3 has faster fps if we're comparing the K1 and K3 directly.

K1 has built in wifi/GPS. How much it affects battery life will be interesting to find out
So does the K-3II.
03-04-2016, 06:54 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I anticate that crop sensors will always be two years or so ahead of FF sensors in resolution density and frame rate as per the K3 and K1....given reasonable affordability..... it's just basic comon sense from a technology'n affordability perspective.
03-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Canon has a 51 MP FF that's equivalent, but it's about $7,000, almost 645z money.

03-04-2016, 07:34 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Why do I have this incredible sense of deja vu when I review this thread.

The big question might be:

What does this thread provide that its predecessors did not?
More words? Better phrasing? More convincing assertions?

Would the comments be more enlightening had the title been:
"K-3 So What Does APS-C Provide Over A FF DSLR?"
-or
"K-3 So What Does APS-C Provide Over Micro 4/3rds?"
-or-
"Hasselblad 500C So What Does 6x6cm Provide over 35mm Film"
-or-
"Murals So What Does Building Format Provide Over Hangable Canvas?"
-or
"Oranges So What Does Citrus Provide Over Pomes?"
There are many more variations on the theme complicated by the fact that my phone camera is superior to my K-3 because it will post to FB automagically and that I prefer to make my coffee in a French Press and don't own a Koerig.

Does any of the above make sense? Do we have to figure seed size variation in determining equivalence between apples and oranges and will it apply to naval oranges or Asian pears?

Rant over...

Steve
03-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #39
Pentaxian

What does the K-1 give us over the apsc bodies? All the goodies and great stuff that will show up in the next apsc body a year from now, except maybe noise and DR improvements.

For me, do I tolerate the frustrating K-3 AF for another year. I'm not certain yet whether it is worth the upgrade, we will see.

I would have to stop down one stop in exchange for two, maybe three stops better noise characteristics.

The full frame frame rate isn't much slower than the K3 AFC rate. If I can get twice as many in focus shots, then it is definitely a go.

The better SR is also worth it.
03-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If Pentax puts 5 axis in-body stabilization in its next generation APS-C camera, keeps it the size of the K-5/K-3, and offers it at a lower price point, it will be a tough choice. If the K-1 eventually reaches the $1300 - $1400 price range, used, it would be tempting though...
03-04-2016, 11:27 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do we get pixel shift in crop mode on the K-1? If so, that may get me using the crop mode on the K-1 sometimes instead of the K-3 despite the lesser pickles...
03-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #42
HYS
Veteran Member

The FF pictures look creamy. I won't mention the the rich of details and possibility to enlarge.
03-05-2016, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the biggest improvements for me will be: better viewfinder, better high iso, better dynamic range for a given iso. Shallow depth of field is something that I don't really care about a whole lot. APS-C is pretty capable of shallow depth of field and I have found that to be my enemy more often than my friend (bad deal when you take a group photo and only half the people are in focus). Of course, you can stop down and that's what I'll do. Having a wider angle of view with a given focal length is neither here nor there either, it just is.

I still think that for the majority of photographers (myself included) APS-C is probably "good enough." But if you have the money and the desire for full frame, you don't really need any other reason to get one, do you?
03-05-2016, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the biggest improvements for me will be: better viewfinder, better high iso, better dynamic range for a given iso. Shallow depth of field is something that I don't really care about a whole lot. APS-C is pretty capable of shallow depth of field and I have found that to be my enemy more often than my friend (bad deal when you take a group photo and only half the people are in focus). Of course, you can stop down and that's what I'll do. Having a wider angle of view with a given focal length is neither here nor there either, it just is.

I still think that for the majority of photographers (myself included) APS-C is probably "good enough." But if you have the money and the desire for full frame, you don't really need any other reason to get one, do you?
Your saying what I’m thinking. For me not only the quality of the resulting images is important. It’s also the experience in using a camera - something like „The journey is the destination“. This camera just promises to give me some ad-on compared to my K5 without loosing anything. I don’t really need this camera, I just want it.
03-05-2016, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

For me it's the other way around, I don't want the camera, I need it.

No wait.
It is the same reason, I just want it.