Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
36mp be careful what you wish for!

a lens that used to be sharp on my K5iis has a slight blur on the K3 due to being able to zoom into the details closer with the higher resolution. I would think that the K1 will be brutal for focusing errors. thoughts?

Randy

03-06-2016, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The pixel density is higher on the K-3 since the APSc 'crop' on the K-1 is just under 16Mpix.
Edges of course will be the story with the K-1 since all of the glass is back in play!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 03-06-2016 at 10:37 AM.
03-06-2016, 10:29 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

If you use the correct lenses for the cameras, there isn't a issue at all.
03-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
a lens that used to be sharp on my K5iis has a slight blur on the K3 due to being able to zoom into the details closer with the higher resolution. I would think that the K1 will be brutal for focusing errors. thoughts?
No, APSC (typically K-3) require more AF accuracy than FF having less pixel density.

03-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's back to the same "resolution" as on the K-5 in terms of pixel densitiy. The K-1 Sensor is just larger, thus adding more of the same size pixels on more area. The K-3 in contrary squeezes a larger amount of smaller pixels on the same area as the K-5.
03-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #6

I am really not sure how old lenses will go on the k1 to be honest. I think that these new dfa lenses are far far far more sharper than anything previously made by Pentax (tamron) as they are made for the needs of these high resolution sensors, not film. I am hoping that my old fa 35 f2 will do well on the k1 (as it does a great job on the k5) but at this resolution I am very pessimistic. For who is serious about modern day photography in the digital world and who obsesses over sharpness I think you'll find all your old k mounts will be sold off.
03-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
I am really not sure how old lenses will go on the k1 to be honest.
For who is serious about modern day photography in the digital world and who obsesses over sharpness I think you'll find all your old k mounts will be sold off.
Those two statements seem contradictory. If you don't know anything, how can you say something like that?

Curious on what your thought process on this is? How can a lens do worse on a better sensor? That makes no sense to me. The lens does not change. If the sensor can provide better then a better lens can help it do that. But in no way is an old lens going to perform worse, the sensor is just going to use all that the lens can provide.

03-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It's the old "sensors out resolve lenses" argument rehashed for the 18 bazillianth time. Under that theory, new increase in sensor technology won't produce any more resolution because the old sensor already had maxed out the lens. The only problem with this theory, is, it's never happened. Old lenses keep producing higher res, on newer more compact sensors in a relatively linear fashion.

The corollary to this line of thinking is lenses are so closely matched to seniors that a TC won't do any good. You'll get the same subject resolution if you just use the lens by itself and increase the size with software.

Both these notions have been repeatedly dismissed by actual real world testing. IN fact Imaging Resources tested a bunch of lenses on the 7000 and 7100 to see if lenses started failing under the stress of the more compact sensor. They found the exact opposite. The cheaper lenses, often gained about 60% resolution while the best lenses gained about 20%. SO in fact the opposite to the "common wisdom" is true. Your bad lenses area actually more likely to benefit from increased pixel density than your sharpest lenses.

So to summarize...
This whole thought process has not one bit of data to support it. Even the average lens can benefit from a tighter pixel density, and even more than the good ones.

To date no one has come up with any kind of theory to explain why this would be true, so the "the sensor will out resolve your lens" nonsense continues to be repeated.
03-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I heard two reviewers say that old lenses are not going to be sharp on K-1, but I don't know authoritative they are, and whether they spoke from experience, or theory
03-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I heard two reviewers say that old lenses are not going to be sharp on K-1, but I don't know authoritative they are, and whether they spoke from experience, or theory
That's such a generalised comment for them to make - pay them no attention. An old lens with good resolving capability will produce sharp photos on the K-1 - period. That's not down to experience or theory, it's just plain fact. Of course, there are a number of older lenses that won't get the best out of the K-1's high resolution sensor... but that doesn't mean the photos won't be acceptably sharp. How sharp will be down to each individual lens. Also, there's a lot more to image quality than sharpness alone.
03-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
To date no one has come up with any kind of theory to explain why this would be true, so the "the sensor will out resolve your lens" nonsense continues to be repeated.
Question Norm? If I use the crop factor on the K1 with APS-C lenses will I get any benefit ......or loss .....over my current K5IIs? I think I know the answer, but hesitate to trust my meager knowledge.

Regards!
03-06-2016, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Early adopters of the D800 had the same surprise: they need to up their technique to take advantage of the improved precision instrument they were using. And much of it was indeed technique and less the lenses they were using.

Michael
03-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
How is there any sense to that statement? Please just look at what they are saying. "old lenses are not going to be sharp on the k-1". Does the lens magically change because you put it on a newer camera? Of course not. The lens will be just as 'sharp' on the k-1 as it ever was. On film, on the k-x, on the k-5, on the k-3. How this nonsense keeps getting perpetuated is beyond me.

Every time a new sensor is released it is pronounced that "old lenses will not be sharp anymore". And each time photographers just go out and keep taking sharp pictures with them.
03-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Question Norm? If I use the crop factor on the K1 with APS-C lenses will I get any benefit ......or loss .....over my current K5IIs? I think I know the answer, but hesitate to trust my meager knowledge.

Regards!
What crop lenses are you intending to use? Your Bigma is a full frame lens
03-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am really not sure how old lenses will go on the k1 to be honest. I think that these new dfa lenses are far far far more sharper than anything previously made by Pentax (tamron) as they are made for the needs of these high resolution sensors, not film. I am hoping that my old fa 35 f2 will do well on the k1 (as it does a great job on the k5) but at this resolution I am very pessimistic. For who is serious about modern day photography in the digital world and who obsesses over sharpness I think you'll find all your old k mounts will be sold off.
I'll take all your worthless old lenses off your hands. I'm quite certain my FA35/2 will perform very well on the K-1. Any lens that was good on film will be good on K-1. Any llens was average on film it will be average on K-1. Any lens that was soft on film WU=I'll be soft on K-1. It's really that simple.

Some may prefer modern lens rendering because they never have seen a great lens on film, but that's an entirely different discussion.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-06-2016 at 01:01 PM.