Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
I am hoping for this to work too. Would like to get the 15-30 but not keen on having to buy a whole new giant filter system to deal with that giant rounded lens. The 12-24 is an underrated lens IMO. Not the sharpest at the edges and some variance between copies (I've had 2, the 2nd was noticeably less sharp in the left corners) and not very sharp at f4 but decent enough at f8-11. What I like about this lens is that it is very tolerant of bright light, only an 8 point star but can get some pretty great sunstars with it. My Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art is way sharper (when focused properly ) but shooting in to direct sun makes a complete mess.
I have used the 12-24, and I did enjoy it, but I did like the Tokina 11-16mm as well. I used the Tokina on my D800 and it has some heavy vignetting at 15mm but is usable.. Not sure at what focal length the 12-24 would be usable at on FF. I'm trying a few different DIY rear filters on my Rokinon to see how much they hurt IQ.. hope something works well enough, I won't want to use a 5"x5" or bigger filter setup.

04-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I have used the 12-24, and I did enjoy it, but I did like the Tokina 11-16mm as well. I used the Tokina on my D800 and it has some heavy vignetting at 15mm but is usable.. Not sure at what focal length the 12-24 would be usable at on FF. I'm trying a few different DIY rear filters on my Rokinon to see how much they hurt IQ.. hope something works well enough, I won't want to use a 5"x5" or bigger filter setup.
Do the rear filters even work?
I placed one my K-FE mount adapter and it was a real mess.
The image formed on the filter instead of the sensor.