Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Peter Hurley loves the macro and gets great shots. He's now using cannon ff and 100 2.8L. I think the macro lens for portrait is to clinical argument is over rated. Still that FA 77mm really has a lot of amazing photos made with it.

03-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #17

Original Poster
Some great suggestions here! Having looked at some images from the 77mm Limited I have definitely short listed it now, wow this is exactly the character I was lacking when using my Canon kit. You / us Pentax guys have some really great lenses to choose from.

---------- Post added 03-09-16 at 01:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
As a 645Z owner, have you considered using an adapter for your current lenses with the K-1?

Ultimately it's a decision between cost, convenience, and quality. If cost and convenience are paramount, then the soon to be released PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens for $500 is the way to go.

If convenience and quality are paramount, then the Pentax-D FA 24-70mm f/2.8ED SDM WR Lens for $1300 is a great first lens.

Personally, quality is paramount for me, more than convenience or to some degree cost, so I would work on building toward 3 primes. In order of my acquisition stages:

1) Pentax SMCP-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited ($460)
2) Waiting for the FF 20-21mm prime. Until then, Pentax HD D-FA 15-30mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR ($1450)
3) Pentax SMC D-FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro ($370) or Pentax SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited ($700)
I'm able to find little information regarding the 645 adaptor so may have to sit on that until its available. Essentially someone on here put it perfectly, the K-1 will be for weekdays and the 645Z will come out on the weekend! I'm liking what the 77 Limited seems to offer but I always like to own a macro also.
03-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One thing I have noticed, prices on the SMC-A prime lenses have gone up 30-40% since the announcement. Glad I kept mine
03-09-2016, 09:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
Some great suggestions here! Having looked at some images from the 77mm Limited ... wow this is exactly the character I was lacking when using my Canon kit.
Now you know why Pentaxians love Pentax glass...

03-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #20
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/287896-whats-first-...ntax-dslr.html

Get at least one of the FA Limited primes (31, 43, and 77). They are unique and special.

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
For portraiture, check out the FA77 f1.8 LTD. If ever there was a lens made for portraiture, this is it! It's superbly sharp (in a way that favours portraiture), has lovely bokeh, gorgeous colours, superb micro contrast.
Not a word of exaggeration here. It's truly remarkable. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/313861-what...7-limited.html

Last edited by Des; 03-09-2016 at 11:19 PM.
03-15-2016, 04:31 AM   #21

Original Poster
Thank you all for the suggestions! Update, yesterday I attended a touch and try at a store near where I live and tried the K-1 with several lenses including the 100mm Macro WR and the 43mm Limited. I have pretty much decided to go for these two lenses to start. BUT! I have seen some great images taken with the DA 55*! As I mainly shoot people would this be a good swap form the 43mm Limited?
03-15-2016, 05:12 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I know you like primes, but my first choice would be the new Pentax D-FA 2.8/70-200. I have the Sony FE 4/70-200 for both the A6000 and A7r and it's a really versatile range, good for portraits the lot. Lots of bokeh too.

Other than that, the FA 1.8/77 Ltd is a wonderful lens (I have a superb copy that exhibits no purple anything, not fringing, not longitudinal . . . nothing). Go careful with the FA 1.9/43, it's a lens designed for character wide open, but mine shows terrible purple fringing, although stopped down it's great. The 100WR Macro is a macro lens and shall remain so, it hunts a lot like macros do and has no focus limiter. Also suffers from the dreaded purple I've found with mine.

Also consider these older FA Limited lenses may likely be updated with new coatings optimising them for digital at some point in the future.

Yup, I'd go with the new 70-200 zoom.

Last edited by HopelessTogger; 03-15-2016 at 05:18 AM.
03-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Go with the 43 Limited and look to get a 77 next. If you want something wide, the new 15-30 zoom might be just fine...you will want to use all the capabilities of the K-1...otherwise an FA 31 might be just the ticket. I have never heard anyone who did not love all three of the FA Limited lenses. I use a K-3 but have no particular plans to get a K-1 and love the three DA limited lenses I own (15,35,70).

03-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I mainly shoot people would this be a good swap form the 43mm Limited?
43mm seems a bit short for portrait, doesn't it? Great lens, but does it suit the purpose? Ultimately I guess it depends on exactly how you shoot people & what your routine composition is - given how happy you were with it, perhaps it's just what you need for your purposes. 55mm is designed to reduplicate or approximate the 85mm FF field of view on APS-C; on the K-1 it's just a slightly tight normal lens. You'd need to keep that in mind when you look at DA55* shots taken on APS-C cameras.
03-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Thank you all for the suggestions! Update, yesterday I attended a touch and try at a store near where I live and tried the K-1 with several lenses including the 100mm Macro WR and the 43mm Limited. I have pretty much decided to go for these two lenses to start. BUT! I have seen some great images taken with the DA 55*! As I mainly shoot people would this be a good swap form the 43mm Limited?
As I see it, the main differentiator between the 43 and 55 is not the focal length, which isn't that far different, but rather the respective lens' style of rendering, so try to look at many examples of portraits taken using both lenses to see what suits your wishes.

As to whether 43mm (or for that matter 55mm) is a suitable focal length for portraiture as compared to 77mm, yes it's true that neither the 43 nor the 55 will give the sort of effect that a 77 would. The 77 is of sufficiently greater focal length that one can perceive a greater amount of depth compression effect using it, and the latter is an effect more or less associated with what people normally expect of portrait shots.

Having said that it all depends on what sort of portraiture you do. Not all portraiture work needs as much depth compression as given by 77mm. The 43/55 focal lengths can yield great results depending on what you're after.

Also, the rendering character, the "look", of the 43 and 77 has subtle differences. I've taken portraits with the 43 that not even the 77 could have done. And vice versa, of course.

---------- Post added 03-16-16 at 12:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
55mm is designed to reduplicate or approximate the 85mm FF field of view on APS-C; on the K-1 it's just a slightly tight normal lens. You'd need to keep that in mind when you look at DA55* shots taken on APS-C cameras.
Yes, this is a very valid point, and must be borne in mind. Also true of the 43, which is a normal FOV on Full Frame.

That being said, I rather suspect that in those shots taken on APS-C gear, the photographer would have (perhaps subconsciously?) stepped backwards as appropriate, to recover a proper FOV for the portrait; so maybe it's not as big a problem as we might imagine....?

Or conversely, a photographer using these lenses on FF might "step closer", again to get a desired FOV...?

---------- Post added 03-16-16 at 12:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Other than that, the FA 1.8/77 Ltd is a wonderful lens (I have a superb copy that exhibits no purple anything, not fringing, not longitudinal . . . nothing). Go careful with the FA 1.9/43, it's a lens designed for character wide open, but mine shows terrible purple fringing, although stopped down it's great.
My 77 has some purple fringing at larger apertures, which is what people commonly report.

Same is true of my 43, but the amount is significantly less than the 77, such that I quite rarely see it, and even then, it's seldom severe.

I find the rendering character of the 43 at larger apertures (including wide open) something truly special. This is certainly a "character" lens - that's for sure. Sheer Hirakawa magic!

Last edited by KDAFA; 03-15-2016 at 10:35 AM.
03-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #26
Site Supporter

These lenses are going to be used with a K-1? Or mostly APS-C? For a FF, I think the 43mm is a better street photography lens, with the DA*55 having better AW qualities. But the 100mm Macro WR would be a better portrait lens on FF.

If this is for your APS-C, then the 55mm is better for portraits and the 43mm as a great walkabout lens. Ideally, I agree with other posters that the 70mm or 77mm would be better for portrait work (than either the 43, 55, or 100).
03-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #27
edo
Forum Member

Hi!
Congrats on the pre order! I wish I had the funds to do so.

People and portraiture?
I say 85mm takumars, maybe K mount if you wanna invest.

Lots of normal lenses our there. I have such a blast when I used to shoot with 50mm 1.4, 55mm 1.8, 35mm f2.0...

I always lusted for the the 85mm 1.4 a*, but that price with that fringing is not cool. I just bought a mint K85mm 1.8 instead and I can't wait to use it on k1!

From my past experience shooting legacy lenses on APS Pentax bodies is that at a particular shooting I prefer not to mix takumars and k mount because it's annoying to put the ring adapter.

But I love takumars, they really are special and can be had cheap. Beware of the yellow glasses, it's not worth getting unless you live in a very sunny places and ready to cure them.

In a nutshell, get a 35mm f2, a 85mm and a 50mm. You have a very wide range to choose from.

For me I will use A 50mm f1.2 the most I think.

K1 to finally come after all those year of keeping gems in drawers is Christmas for us!
03-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Personally, I'd go with a 77 ltd. if I had nothing else. I never liked a 50 for portraiture on film. But the DA 50-18 and DA 35 2.4 are good cheap choices to help fill other focal lengths while using the 77 for everything important. The 100 macro is also a very nice lens.
03-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edo Quote
But I love takumars, they really are special and can be had cheap. Beware of the yellow glasses, it's not worth getting unless you live in a very sunny places and ready to cure them.
I understand the "yellow glasses" part of your post {I own a Super Takumar 35mm f/2}. I suppose there should be a White Balance "fix" to the yellowed images, but what do you mean by being able to "cure" it if you live in a sunny place? {I know that being in the snow capital of Indiana is not a good start towards being "sunny"}
03-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I understand the "yellow glasses" part of your post {I own a Super Takumar 35mm f/2}. I suppose there should be a White Balance "fix" to the yellowed images, but what do you mean by being able to "cure" it if you live in a sunny place? {I know that being in the snow capital of Indiana is not a good start towards being "sunny"}
Get a UV-C bulb and expose the yellowed glass to it. Don't expose your eyes to the bulb and do it outside because these things generate a lot of ozone. I know. I did it inside once and spent the whole weekend blind with watering eyes which was agony.