Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it'll be awesome for waist level shooting, and the struts will allow that to happen in landscape and (to a lesser extent) portrait orientation.

03-08-2016, 05:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Waist level shooting is the attractive feature for me too. Street scenes and the like. I am wondering how easy it will be to compose that way though; will the screen be bright enough in full daylight? Will somebody need to produce a hood for it?
03-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
will the screen be bright enough in full daylight?
The K-1 has a special 'Outdoor View Setting' rear LCD brightness level control, so they seem to have that covered.
03-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #19

Sure it is one of the unique differentiation opportunities for Pentax, but I'm confident it will prove to be quite useful (e.g. for all the uses cited thus far). Otherwise I don't think Pentax would have bothered to following through with it for series production- given the fact that they also wanted to differentiate by offering a camera at an incredibly competitive low price point.

(Assumes of course that its implementation cost more than the typical arrangement presently on the market.)

03-09-2016, 12:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Doing a lot of macro photography with bellows the bellows can wind up in all sorts of crazy angles to get at the subject. The tripod and focusing rails can make it difficult to look through the viewfinder even with a refconverter or even the rear LCD. Liveview via tethering would be a help but being able to articulate the screen in the manner available will be a great help
03-09-2016, 12:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I think waist level will be my most used mode for it too.. I just hope the struts hold up over time and don't get loose to where they don't hold the screen in place...
03-09-2016, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I've noticed that when a camera has an extra feature, I automatically start looking for opportunities to use it. And "when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

So, as well as all the good reasons identified so far, I suspect I will take photos that I might not even have considered without that screen, just "because I can". So I don't really know all the ways I will use it, but it will be interesting to find out!
03-09-2016, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
So I don't really know all the ways I will use it, but it will be interesting to find out!
A NEX-5 was my first taste of a camera with a flippy screen. Some of my useful discoveries were the ability to shoot waist level sometimes while doing street, shoot with the camera resting on my knee for stability whilst crouched down, more easily set up long exposures on a low set tripod, and shoot unobtrusive family snaps without bringing the camera up to my face.

03-09-2016, 03:59 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it will be useful. Macro or tripod shooting are the most obvious situations. Looks pretty durable, which was probably the biggest question. For folks who don't really want it, it is easy enough just to leave it in place and never move it.
03-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Vincent's last sentence is likely the use case for most K-1 buyers. It's a target feature for Pentax doubters looking for an objection, like the certainty that the FA Limiteds will be disappointing. I was skeptical of the hinge on articulating screens, even though I'd used one on a small DAT Vidcam for 15 years, because it was unfamiliar. I suspect very, very few users will exercise the rods enough to test the long term durability.
03-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suspect very, very few users will exercise the rods enough to test the long term durability.
One situation that might test the durability of the K-1 flippy screen would be holding the screen whilst the camera body was in vigorous motion for sustained periods. Like one might do when filming, perhaps - attempting to hold the screen stable with one hand whilst the camera body moves around on a vibrating tripod or camera mount. I could imagine that happening in some action sports shooting.

But as the mechanism is apparently rated to bear a 20kg load, I don't think it's going to fall apart easily, even after some vigorous shaking.
03-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #27

I use a K-S2 and the articulating screen is enormously useful, I really would not want to buy one without it ever again. However that said, the screen on the K1 is one of many reasons I won't be buying it. I don't understand why they didn't go with the same kind of screen as the K-S2., where you can if you need to, view it from the front, and you can also turn it inwards to protect the screen when closed.
03-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose the K-1 target user doesn't often shoot from in front of the camera; Pentax makes another body targeted to such users. I personally fail to see the value of facing the LCD inward as a primary feature. Certainly on the K-s2 it is a secondary benefit of the single, fully-articulating hinge.

The K-1 hinged LCD design is intended to benefit the use case for nature and landscape shooters, and tripod in-studio, such as product (with PixelShift). Certainly others can use it, such as street. I don't envision the K-1 as a primary selfie camera.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-09-2016 at 02:27 PM.
03-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scottmasterton Quote
I use a K-S2 and the articulating screen is enormously useful, I really would not want to buy one without it ever again. However that said, the screen on the K1 is one of many reasons I won't be buying it. I don't understand why they didn't go with the same kind of screen as the K-S2., where you can if you need to, view it from the front, and you can also turn it inwards to protect the screen when closed.
As I commented in another thread {there have been so many going over the general area, that I kind of forget where, but not what, I say things}, I had a Canon with an articulating screen. Yes, it was nice to be able to turn the screen towards the body for protection, but I'm not sure I remembered to do it very often. More importantly, I found the facing-upward position to be awkward, because the LCD was completely to the left of the camera {and I don't need a facing forward position, because I never take pictures of myself}. Personally, I'm sure I'd find this kind of screen much more convenient to use, especially if they put it on a camera more within my usual price range.
03-09-2016, 12:35 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scottmasterton Quote
...I don't understand why they didn't go with the same kind of screen as the K-S2..
The reason why is because, had they done that, I would not be buying the K-1.