Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #46
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Articulating back LCD
I doubt I'll seldom use all the angles, but if it makes taking a shot easier then I will... remember the K1 is just a tool to get the job done.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-11-2016 at 01:38 PM.
08-04-2016, 06:39 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With reference to reh321's post above,

As someone who is a fan of the MX-1, I like that I can tilt the screen up or down while it is still safely behind the camera. I will probably not use all the angles, but they are there if I need them. As an official old fart, I can't bend into near as many positions as I used to. But now I have a camera that can do that for me. Well actually the problem is not as much getting down and bending as in getting back up and unbending.

Last edited by gaweidert; 08-16-2016 at 05:44 AM.
08-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everything old is new again.

It's just a Refconverter, and I use it precisely the same way.

I use the flip out monitor on my snowball Vidcam sometimes - but I mostly use the VF.

Shoulder mount I always use VF.

08-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #49

Before I had the K1 I saw it mainly has a gimmick, could be useful, but hey I'm still in shape, I can bend, I can crawl, I can jump, whatever, now that I have the K1, I'm loving it, truly am.

08-11-2016, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Compare the K-1 LCD with the K-70 LCD. The K-70 LCD is a typical articulated unit; to get it facing upward, you have to rotate it on the vertical axis before you can rotate it on the horizontal axis to make it face upward. The result is that it can face upward only if it is completely to the side of the camera, completely sticking out from the side. With the K-1 system, the LCD may be a few degrees away from the optical axis, but it is still basically behind the lens, not completely off to the side.

added: Under the theory that "a picture is a thousand words", here is a picture from the Ricoh Japanese web-site showing the only position in which a K-70 LCD can be facing upward
Hmm, I guess from your POV this is a disadvantage. Personally, I think this type of articulating screens have great advantage over the tilt only or even the very innovative articulating screen found on the K-1. Vast majority of my shots on my Panasonic G2 was through the EVF but there were few instances where the type of articulating LCD found on the KS-2 and the K-70 was absolutely essential - when the shooter cannot be behind the camera.

A few years back, I was at a public garden (greenhouse)trying to shoot macro of tropical plants. The subject flower was behind another plant and in order to fill the frame with the flower, the camera needed to be placed in between the two plants. The greenhouse had just been misted, creating that steamy tropical jungle look and feel. I mounted the G2 on my tripod with the articulating screen sitting more or less parallel to the optical axis, I stood beside the camera while moving the tripod back and forth to get the magnification I wanted, then used the gearing on my Manfrotto 410 geared head to compose. I did fool around with the articulating LCD before but this truly was the first time to really take advantage of the articulating screen.

I am not knocking the K-1's articulating LCD, indeed I hope it is featured on the next flagship APS-C, Pentax DSLR but the type of articulation found on my G2 or the KS-2 and the K-70, has some distinct advantages as well.
08-11-2016, 06:03 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
A few years back, I was at a public garden (greenhouse)trying to shoot macro of tropical plants

For that kind of complex and specialized shooting, the K-1 can accommodate through the WIFI/remote function.
08-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
For that kind of complex and specialized shooting, the K-1 can accommodate through the WIFI/remote function.
I believe the discussion is about the articulating rear LCD. Also I wouldn't call that complex or even a specialized shoot, it's just shooting in tight quarters with a lot of obstacles - the foldout articulating LCD back allowed me to get the shot without becoming a contortionist.

08-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #53
Pentaxian

i used it more for reviewing pictures than for taking... but it's useful when you need it.
08-29-2016, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
i used it more for reviewing pictures than for taking... but it's useful when you need it.
I would love to have a flippy back of some sort.
It would help in street shooting type situations - my brother has demonstrated how people are more at ease if they think you're just fiddling with controls on your camera.
08-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #55
Veteran Member

The rotating base allows for tilting the screen a bit when shooting in vertical orientation. That is very good. Though I would certainly need more movement there.

I noticed the mechanism which moves the LCD base element gets a bit stiff in subzero temps. When I tested for white dots and put the camera in freezer, the articulation mechanism was kind of stuck at first. There is a danger it will freeze in place during the winter.

My A7R2 tilt screen froze to upright position once during the last winter:

It has only one axis for tilting. K-1 rotating base operates on four metallic rods which slide back and forth in their tracks. I suspect problems incoming.

Last edited by MJKoski; 08-29-2016 at 07:06 AM.
09-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #56
Forum Member

As you grow older, you may find that the screen is one of the best things ever invented. Being able to frame a low shot with Live View, with the screen articulated out is a huge benefit. When shooting in vertical mode for panos again invaluable. I had wished for years for this on Nikon or Canon, but they have never offered it.

Working at night, either with astrotracer or star trails, again a huge advantage as you are checking your shots. Not having to bend around to view the LCD is priceless.

Paul C
09-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@MJKoski Are you mature enough to know what a Refconverter is used for?
09-22-2016, 02:24 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I do not know why I would insert an inverted periscope behind viewfinder to see at bad angle. Do you drive a car and turn your steering wheel at 90 degree angles?
09-22-2016, 02:40 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I do not know why I would insert an inverted periscope behind viewfinder to see at bad angle. Do you drive a car and turn your steering wheel at 90 degree angles?
There are times when such a finder attachment is very useful.

a) Camera is at low elevation and it is not practical to squat or lie on your stomach to look through the finder.
b) Copy stand work where the camera is pointed down but too high for you to get your head over the set up to look down into the finder. In this case, the inverted image helps.
c) Astro or microphotography where the camera is mounted onto a telescope or microscope and orientation is less important.

On my Nikon F3HP when shooting film, I have and use not only my high point finder, but also a waste level finder (image is flipped) and a right angle finder too. An articulating back is essential if the camera does not have alternative viewfinders which the photographer values. For example, shooting candids in the street from ʻthe hipʻ is much more discreet with the camera held near your waist instead of raised at eye level to shoot.

The car steering wheel analogy.....you mean like the old VW microbus?
09-22-2016, 03:39 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Of course it has its use with a body with no articulating screen. K-1 has that daylight mode as well which allows looking at live view in bright light so not really necessary accessory with it.

I thought of getting a used 645D earlier this year and also asked for angle finder to go with it. It turned out to be really expensive item.