03-10-2016, 04:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How does the K-1 meter with M lenses?

Same as with the K-3?

03-10-2016, 05:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you asking about the method used to meter with them ("green button"), or are you asking whether camera's metering with this method is consistent and/or comparable?
03-10-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Are you asking about the method used to meter with them ("green button"), or are you asking whether camera's metering with this method is consistent and/or comparable?
Green button. I was hoping Pentax had created some mechanism to use them natively, as they work on film bodies.
03-10-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Sadly, no. Some of us (me included) had been hoping for restoration of the aperture reporting arm right until the moment they let us look inside the mirror box. I have a forlorn hope that they will reintroduce it on a second-generation body, but those in the know have already strongly hinted that Ricoh aren't in any great hurry to try to put it back. There are apparently space considerations inside the mount and surrounding structures, and the engineering decision early in development was to do everything in the design team's power to make the camera as small as possible.

From what I have read, they had enough on their hands just getting the camera out at last. I really don't blame them for not putting it back this time.

03-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sadly, no. Some of us (me included) had been hoping for restoration of the aperture reporting arm right until the moment they let us look inside the mirror box. I have a forlorn hope that they will reintroduce it on a second-generation body, but those in the know have already strongly hinted that Ricoh aren't in any great hurry to try to put it back. There are apparently space considerations inside the mount and surrounding structures, and the engineering decision early in development was to do everything in the design team's power to make the camera as small as possible.

From what I have read, they had enough on their hands just getting the camera out at last. I really don't blame them for not putting it back this time.
Thank you for that very detailed explanation. Knowing the details makes it easier to understand.

For me, that's really the nail in the coffin, as to whether I'd be an early adopter. I'll wait until the body is selling near $1000 to use my old full frame lenses on. I wasn't lusting for a digital Pentax full frame in the first place, so waiting won't be hard. My MX and KX still take very nice FF pictures.
03-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh aren't in any great hurry to try to put it back.
I think you are being optimistic there. They are in NO hurry to put it back.
03-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
With the dearth of Pentax-brand FF zoom lenses, it might have helped stem the tide of migration to 3rd party glass, giving Pentax a chance to catch up a bit.

03-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

There is a wealth of Pentax FF kit lenses out there at cheap prices. 35-80 type lenses. I own one myself. I'm not sure even that logic holds together, but it's probably the best I've heard.
03-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
With the dearth of Pentax-brand FF zoom lenses
Dearth? And that is just the F series, I've never bothered to take a portrait of the FA series.
03-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dearth? And that is just the F series, I've never bothered to take a portrait of the FA series.
Interesting lineup, but aren't there only 7 zoom lenses there, with significant range overlap?
03-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

We are saying the same thing, albeit in different ways.
03-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting lineup, but aren't there only 7 zoom lenses there, with significant range overlap?
I think the argument that we have to hunt down old K and M glass to find a decent FF zoom is ... pretty weak, with all due respect, Wolfeye! ☺

There were a lot (more than seven) made since then, with 'A' setting aperture rings and/or electronic control. I won't even begin on the advances in design.
03-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think the argument that we have to hunt down old K and M glass to find a decent FF zoom is ... pretty weak, with all due respect, Wolfeye!

There were a lot made since then, with 'A' setting aperture rings and/or electronic control. ☺
Never even implied that. I was saying if our old M lenses worked fully, we might be less inclined to go buy new glass from 3rd party manufacturers. Most 3rd party glass happens to be zooms. Pentax itself released only 3 new zooms for FF.
03-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have a portrait of my FA glass but here are the zooms: Pentax FA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

How good these are and whether anyone would prefer them over new glass is hard to say. But I just do not get your point about about 'old M lenses'. There are lots and lots of lenses out there much newer than the M series with all contacts and auto-focus. If cost is a factor people are more likely to buy old F or FA zooms than they are to buy third party. If 'new' is a consideration then there are not that many third party lenses still in production either.

Not trying to argue anything, I just don't understand what you are trying to say.
03-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Never even implied that. I was saying if our old M lenses worked fully, we might be less inclined to go buy new glass from 3rd party manufacturers.
You're not making sense.

If you were in the category of being very comfortable with forty year old glass, why would you jump to buying new lenses instead of the A35-105 or FA 70-210 or whatever?

BTW, the K-1 hasn't been released yet but if you did want an upgraded zoom you will be able to get it with a new Pentax 15-30, 24-70, 70-200, 28-105 or 150-450.

That's just to start with.

So that's everything covered from landscape to wildlife, what else did you have in mind?