Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, this seems like a comedy of errors. Errors in releasing files that are not the very best representation of the camera output to begin with. Are people going to compare the K1 to the D810; of course they are. All the more reason to have well exposed controlled samples or the bad ones will be all over the internet like these ones. Also the Pixel shift examples are nowhere near as good at the ones on the K3ii, again looks like sloppy work all round.

Pentax needs to release pictures taken with excellent prime and new zoom lenses under controlled circumstances to show how this camera will really perform. A camera can easily get a bad rap before it's release and then it's all about damage control. I recently purchased a Leica X Vario, a camera slammed at the time of it's release by many non-experts. It has turned into a great bargain as a result, producing beautiful results.

Pentax wants to lure non-Pentax uses to the platform with this camera so they should be careful how and how they release pre-production output to pontificate about. At the end of the day the image quality is what we all buy when shelling out $2K on a new camera body.

03-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Wow, this seems like a comedy of errors
Not really, more like a reflexive knee jerk reaction to another brand introducing hardware that is competitive with everything else.
03-19-2016, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

if you like you can compare the D810 and the K1 in High ISO... I think the K1 makes an incredible performance.
03-19-2016, 04:49 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
I think the K1 makes an incredible performance.
Have you noticed that in the Pixel shift example, the camera fails to account for movement in a hanging twig half way up on the RHS - not saying the system isn't amazing - just not perfect

(http://www.cyberphoto.se/info.php?article=K-1)

03-19-2016, 05:01 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Pentax wants to lure non-Pentax uses to the platform with this camera so they should be careful how and how they release pre-production output to pontificate about. At the end of the day the image quality is what we all buy when shelling out $2K on a new camera body.
Definitely. And Pentax' marketing department has traditionally been fairly poor. They need to invest more in marketing, which isn't just adverts on television, but includes websites (we know Pentax websites often had errors, wrong information), sample images (need to be perfect), reviews (hey, everybody is doing it), social media, giveaways/contests..
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Have you noticed that in the Pixel shift example, the camera fails to account for movement in a hanging twig half way up on the RHS - not saying the system isn't amazing - just not perfect
a) the sensor alone is the same as D810. 36MP, no AA filter. But it allows SR and AA-simulation, two things the Nikon sensor doesn't. b) On top of 36MP you can use HDR or Pixel shift, or whatever else you want. None of those are perfect, by definition. But all of those are tools that can help the photographer. And PS is unique to Pentax among the FF DSLRs. So you have the potential to get even more detail in a faster, more automated way than with a Nikon or Canon FF.
c) I have seen a thread about PS which says that there are special options that you can enable, where the PS will try and fix the movement. The given example was a moving ferris wheel, which is quite impressive IMO (though, as with any feature, you need to have it in hands to see what you can actually get out of it). I don't know whether this feature was activated in the above sample photo. That said, the photo isn't that great to begin with. With the Sigma 35mm art, even at f11 and 1/60, I feel like the photo could have been better. I think some landscape photographers on this forum could do better without the Sigma Art and without PS. Maybe that's just how the Sigma renders? Not sure, but the photo seems flat and oddly sharp without much true detail.
03-19-2016, 05:24 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Their full-res studio shots - only released when the 645d, 645z and K-3II (demonstrating PS) were released - have often been stunning. They must use talented photographers for those. I don't understand why they fall down on the pre-release photos.
03-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Marketing is a muddy business, I believe. To reach the most eyes you must publish on the most traveled web paths, those sites have more people so they compress images more ruthlessly, and so more grumpy 'experts' who aren't allowed camera access or keep any images vent on their sites. The early images did not really play to 36/24 sensor's strengths and the 36Mpx resolution was downsized to 1.5M.. but I agree, ranters will rant regardless.

03-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #38
Banned

What to do if you want to sell your product...

Sigma just presented some images for their 50-100mm/F1.8 lens. So this is for aps-c, but just look at that image. This is how you do it.

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_50_100_18/gallery/original_img02.jpg

It's not rocket Science. You just hire a good photographer.
03-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is how you do it.
Sure, but as the 'sister' lens to the 18-35 f1.8, one has to ask: can it focus reliably on anything other than Sigma or Canon.
03-20-2016, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Nothing new, just another guy like Ken Rockhead, born with his mouth at the wrong end of his body. Causes chronic diarrhea and bad breath in the worst of ways.
03-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nothing new, just another guy like Ken Rockhead, born with his mouth at the wrong end of his body. Causes chronic diarrhea and bad breath in the worst of ways.

LOL! Funny. True.
03-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sigma just presented some images for their 50-100mm/F1.8 lens. So this is for aps-c, but just look at that image. This is how you do it.

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_50_100_18/gallery/original_img02.jpg

I want that lens

Randy
03-21-2016, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #43
Forum Member

I came here several weeks ago to see if anyone was commenting about the quality of the K-1 samples which have been mentioned in this thread, but the only photos being discussed were photos of the camera, not photos taken with the camera.

The K-1's image quality will be just fine, but I know that in spite of Ricoh's official samples, not because of them. The whole point of providing samples is to demonstrate the best of what the camera is capable. If the samples are unimpressive, why is someone like this Aldred person supposed to bend over backwards offering mitigation for the results? Ricoh provides samples; people use those samples for their intended purpose and find themselves unimpressed; some of the good folks at Pentaxforums.com call those people idiots for not accounting for all the many the reasons why Ricoh's official samples shouldn't be taken as examples of the camera's capabilities. If the K-1 sample images aren't meant to be indicators of the camera's capabilities, then what purpose are they supposed to serve?

As you suggested I looked at Sigma's sample photo.

I expect to regret asking, but could you describe what about that photo indicates to you that it was shot by a "good photographer"? If I didn't know the source, my guess would be that it was shot by a novice shooter who had been using a kit lens for several months and had just bought his/her first wide-aperture prime.

And I'd say that the photographer(s) who shot the official K-1 samples bear(s) the least responsibility for those photos being used to promote what is arguably the most important Pentax-branded product of the digital era.
03-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #44
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by XMACHINA Quote
As you suggested I looked at Sigma's sample photo.

I expect to regret asking, but could you describe what about that photo indicates to you that it was shot by a "good photographer"? If I didn't know the source, my guess would be that it was shot by a novice shooter who had been using a kit lens for several months and had just bought his/her first wide-aperture prime.

And I'd say that the photographer(s) who shot the official K-1 samples bear(s) the least responsibility for those photos being used to promote what is arguably the most important Pentax-branded product of the digital era.
That image communicaties what needs to be done. The lens is sharp, wide open, it has bokeh and brings this in a pleasing shot. Not something you find in a gallery, but they probably want the lens to be bought by people that are impressed by the lens and not overwhelmed by it. It's a lens for aps-c, so many pro's use fullframe and are not the target (to some extend).

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 03-21-2016 at 12:24 PM.
03-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera is not yet released.

As I have written on numerous threads, Pentax releases finished sample images when the finished camera and finished Firmware are released. Recent cases in point are the studio shots released with the 645z and the finished studio samples released to demonstrate PixelShift with the K-3II. The floral arrangement posted to the K-1 Special Site is authorized by and posted by Ricoh - and it is a setellar demonstration of PS on the FF. Use that as your reference sample.

I think it noteworthy that the 'comparison shots' made with FW 0.38 referenced in this thread have been taken down. I wonder why?

Those who continue to criticize Ricoh regarding sample images know the camera and firmware weren't finalized when these shots were taken - and they know finalized cameras are only just now in production. They have read my replies and those of many others regarding this issue, yet they persist in this line of criticism. That they continue this shameful line of posting, under the guise of suggesting what Ricoh should do better, demonstrates nothing more than ill will toward Pentax. It can be nothing else.

None of the 'samples' posted on these websites is from Ricoh. None purports to be from Ricoh. None was authorized by Ricoh. Those images authorized by Ricoh are limited resolution jpeg's (2000px) and must be stated as such. An authorized example set from the USA is contained in the DPReview article written during CP+ - 2000px limited resolution samples.

Just be patient - the good stuff is right around the corner.