Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd say we've seen a lot sharper from reviewers that are more informed than John Aldred.

03-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I'd say we've seen a lot sharper from reviewers that are more informed than John Aldred.
Where did Aldred go wrong? He didn't offer a "review" of the camera, he just evaluated image samples which came straight from Ricoh. Toward that end, what should he have used to inform himself?

---------- Post added 03-21-16 at 07:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As I have written on numerous threads, Pentax releases finished sample images when the finished camera and finished Firmware are released. Recent cases in point are the studio shots released with the 645z and the finished studio samples released to demonstrate PixelShift with the K-3II. The floral arrangement posted to the K-1 Special Site is authorized by and posted by Ricoh - and it is a setellar demonstration of PS on the FF. Use that as your reference sample.

Uh, for the sake of argument, I'm going to assume that you're absolutely right: I'm going to accept that Ricoh doesn't have a camera body with final firmware available for their own use before the camera is released for sale to the public. Mind you, that seems strange to me, but I'm going to accept it.

The weaknesses of the sample photos aren't attributable to anything that can be effected by firmware. And, as shocking as it might be to some, "Pixel Shift" technology means next-to-nothing for me. If I decide to buy a K-1, that feature will be used rarely, if ever. I'm not going to evaluate a camera's image quality based on performance in a special operational mode.

Those who continue to criticize Ricoh regarding sample images know the camera and firmware weren't finalized when these shots were taken - and they know finalized cameras are only just now in production. They have read my replies and those of many others regarding this issue, yet they persist in this line of criticism. That they continue this shameful line of posting, under the guise of suggesting what Ricoh should do better, demonstrates nothing more than ill will toward Pentax. It can be nothing else.

I'll leave these accusations unaddressed as they don't apply to me. But those individuals who insists on bringing great shame upon themselves, their families, and their respective nations would seem to have a point: if you are right, and I will accept that you are, and Ricoh's sample images aren't representative of the K1's full capabilities then what purpose do the sample images serve?! Why post them at all?! Why not wait until the camera's firmware is finalized and provide samples which are representative of actual product performance? Exactly what is gained by posting samples that can only be appreciated by people who have to have all of this background knowledge about Pentax's historically poor marketing, about Ricoh's tendencies regarding final firmware, about the existence of this website, about your personal admonitions to critics on this site, all by way of understanding that the samples shouldn't be used as one would normally, logically use samples. A person can be forgiven for thinking that one is entitled to look at image samples from a camera, notice that they suck, and make a statement to that effect in a public forum without bringing shame to one's ancestors.

None of the 'samples' posted on these websites is from Ricoh. None purports to be from Ricoh. None was authorized by Ricoh. Those images authorized by Ricoh are limited resolution jpeg's (2000px) and must be stated as such. An authorized example set from the USA is contained in the DPReview article written during CP+ - 2000px limited resolution samples.
Again, this is obviously something addressed to people other than me, but this thread is about a blog posting which references official Ricoh K-1 samples. So I don't know what are "these websites" to which you refer.
03-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #48
osv
Veteran Member

Those who continue to criticize Ricoh regarding sample images know the camera and firmware weren't finalized when these shots were taken - and they know finalized cameras are only just now in production. They have read my replies and those of many others regarding this issue, yet they persist in this line of criticism. That they continue this shameful line of posting, under the guise of suggesting what Ricoh should do better, demonstrates nothing more than ill will toward Pentax. It can be nothing else.

None of the 'samples' posted on these websites is from Ricoh. None purports to be from Ricoh. None was authorized by Ricoh. Those images authorized by Ricoh are limited resolution jpeg's (2000px) and must be stated as such. An authorized example set from the USA is contained in the DPReview article written during CP+ - 2000px limited resolution samples.
this image looks like it came from an official ricoh site: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/ex/img/ex-pic04.jpg

it's 7360x4912, not limited to 2000px.

i criticized it because it was foolish of ricoh to post official k-1 images that were shot from a zoom, at 53mm f/4.5.

and indeed, the extreme bottom left corner, at the minimum, is blurry... it's a decent performance from a zoom, however it should have been stopped down further... but really, pre-release sample images that are purposed for selling a camera body should be shot with a prime.
03-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep - correct. I thought it was a different thread.

These are Ricoh-released Images, not the images from another website that were taken down. Can't be explained, but it is common for Pentax to do this before the actual camera is released. These have been out for a while - it is possible at the time they were shot there actually wasn't a finished FW. Who knows?

Last edited by monochrome; 03-22-2016 at 04:45 AM.
03-22-2016, 03:06 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
but really, pre-release sample images that are purposed for selling a camera body should be shot with a prime.
Not really, zoom is fine but they need to be good quality images, well composed, sharp, right aperture for the scene, correctly processed in post and output correctly for screen.

I think they hire mugs to take their sample images though.

---------- Post added 03-22-16 at 08:07 PM ----------

Actually, that applies for most brands though.
03-22-2016, 03:27 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The images that have been released are typical of a Pentax release. They aren't great, not poor, just middling. But in three-ish weeks there should be plenty of photos pouring out that will cover up any lack of solid images that exists currently. But I don't honestly know either, if you have super-top end photographers max your camera out, what it tells you about the camera. These sorts of images speak more for the photographer's skill than the camera.

I did think the pixel shift flower shot comparison was pretty interesting -- just seeing the richness of the colors and the extra detail. The rest of the photos just told me it was a camera that could take pictures. Which is what I want. The rest will be up to me.