Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Well, not all of them actually.
you claim to know otherwise? short telephoto lenses tend to be great performers optically. The FA77 at f/5.6 performs better across the frame than the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 at f/5.6 - and you don't hear many canon photographers complaining about that lens, some even go as far as suggesting it should be classed as an L lens.

03-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #17
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
you claim to know otherwise? short telephoto lenses tend to be great performers optically. The FA77 at f/5.6 performs better across the frame than the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 at f/5.6 - and you don't hear many canon photographers complaining about that lens, some even go as far as suggesting it should be classed as an L lens.
Never mind then. It was unknown chinese or japanese lens. I don't even remember what kind of brand was it.
03-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

https://pixelpeeper.com/lenses/?lens=1047&perpage=25&is_fullframe=1&res=1&p=1
03-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope that answers his questions.

03-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I hope that answers his questions.
He will probably complain that the apertures aren't in the EXIF. He was looking for samples taken at f/8, which is pretty pointless since just about every lens ever made will perform well at that aperture.
03-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He will probably complain that the apertures aren't in the EXIF. He was looking for samples taken at f/8, which is pretty pointless since just about every lens ever made will perform well at that aperture.
I saw what looked to my Latin alphabet eyes like Hiragana, Katakana or kanji characters on the website. Maybe he'll find his unremembered lens if he digs deep enough.
03-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

You are very tolerant....

03-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
You are very tolerant....
I'm on a no-caffeine weekend, after the coffee binge I have been on over the past month don't expect me to be the usual ray of sunshine.
03-11-2016, 10:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm on a no-caffeine weekend, after the coffee binge I have been on over the past month don't expect me to be the usual ray of sunshine.
I was being complementary .... I'm a bit over some of the questions and attitudes some posters have at the moment.... . K1 pending has seemed to increased lazy/stupid posts........ anyway.....are you still roasting your coffee beans? I've migrated from popcorn roasting to hot air gun with bread machine.
03-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #25

Gotta love a lens to beat all lenses… with performance so amazing that the lens is, well… un-memorable.
03-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

are you still roasting your coffee beans?
Yes I am, my housemate and I have figured out the disturbing heat variations in our oven. We now get a consistent roast...but we still haven't gotten the grind quite right for our espresso machine: we have been getting substandard extractions which I will chalk up to the increased humidity due to the weather conditions present and too fine a grind.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-12-2016 at 12:33 AM.
03-12-2016, 12:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Yes I am, my housemate and I have figured out the disturbing heat variations on our oven. We now get a consistent roast...but we still haven't gotten the grind quite right for our espresso machine: we we have been getting substandard extractions which I will chalk up to the increased humidity and too fine a grind.
I was waiting for a connection to be established on PF between coffee geeks and camera geeks. And lo and behold.

Still, you have some way to go to beat my coffee geekery effort of about 10 years ago, when I used to run an Australian coffee web site:

QuoteQuote:
A coffee taste quality formula...
On the basis of all the variables identified above, one could produce a formula mathematically represent the contribution of these variables to coffee taste quality, like so:
QuoteQuote:
Taste Quality or TQ =
[{{ S for Species (1 or 2) / C for Cultivar (1-15) * H for how it was grown (7 key variables) * W for where grown (5 variables) * P for harvesting and processing (3 key variables) } - D for storage and distribution (5 variables) } + { B for how it was blended (4 variables) * R for how it was roasted (5 variables) * E for how it was prepared for end-user consumption(10 variables) }] / TP for the taste preference of the target consumer or market.
So if we were assessing the taste quality of a particular cup of espresso, one could score it by the following simplified formula:

TQ = [{{S/C *H*W*P}-D}+ {B*R*E}]
03-12-2016, 01:58 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Yes I am, my housemate and I have figured out the disturbing heat variations in our oven. We now get a consistent roast...but we still haven't gotten the grind quite right for our espresso machine: we have been getting substandard extractions which I will chalk up to the increased humidity due to the weather conditions present and too fine a grind.
I just tend to reduce my tamping pressure to accomodate moisture variations (such as humidity or as the beans dry out a bit).... to try and keep the extraction time consistent.....I use a old Pavoni expresso maker.

---------- Post added 12-03-16 at 07:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I was waiting for a connection to be established on PF between coffee geeks and camera geeks. And lo and behold.

Still, you have some way to go to beat my coffee geekery effort of about 10 years ago, when I used to run an Australian coffee web site:
....the formula is missing a couple of things......price of the beans (cheaper always has a head start)......secondly....life status....everything tastes better now I'm retired......and lastly....the view you have when drinking your coffee.
03-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #29
Pentaxian

if you line a baking sheet with bread, you can create a heat map of your oven by finding out how evenly it toasts.

i use the behmor 1600 plus roaster... although preheating is necessary, and it smokes a lot depending on the bean, and the chaff tray is ridiculous, and the safety timer is a bad idea... but i expect it to last a long time, and it has no problems doing a little over a pound at a time. the little nesco roasters only last about 4 years. i use a rancilio silvia for cappuccino... if you don't grind the beans immediately before brewing (can't be sitting around already ground... even for an hour) then it's never as good. i don't have a pid installed (i did install a pressure gauge), but it 's worth it to run water through it after steaming the half and half.... too much pressure = no crema.
03-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I just tend to reduce my tamping pressure to accomodate moisture variations (such as humidity or as the beans dry out a bit).... to try and keep the extraction time consistent.....I use a old Pavoni expresso maker.

---------- Post added 12-03-16 at 07:31 PM ----------

....the formula is missing a couple of things......price of the beans (cheaper always has a head start)......secondly....life status....everything tastes better now I'm retired......and lastly....the view you have when drinking your coffee.
Not to mention food pairing. I've found that a bean burrito from a proper taqueria can bring out some amazing caramel notes in a good dark roast.

What's the 'hot air gun with bread machine' roasting?