Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
The Light At The End Of The Tunnel May Not Be An Oncoming Train.

Super encouraged to read this on the forum today... bring it on.

"While existing Pentax literature suggests that the K-1's focusing screen is not interchangeable, after a look at the screen itself, it appears to be mounted just like the interchangeable focusing screen in other Pentax DSLRs. The use of a focusing screen better suited for manual focusing is therefore conceivable."

03-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first photos of the camera mount showed what appeared to me to be a screen latch (some people, ever-hopeful, saw other things in it, but, like with Nessie and alien beings, the evidence for their visions appears to be scant) so I was surprised that the first announcement from Ricoh told us quite firmly that it didn't have an interchangeable screen. I took that to mean "non-user interchangeable" as there's no such thing as a mechanical object that can't be changed - it just depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it.

I'd assume the LCD overlay stays fixed to the prism housing, but if it doesn't then that could prove a challenge, especially if the two are bonded together in some way. Still, nothing's impossible when it comes to mechanical devices. Let me know how you get on.
03-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Let me know how you get on
Damn... I was hoping someone else was going to be the "Guinea Pig".
03-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Who dares to be first to void their warranty?

03-12-2016, 06:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why would they make it not be? Or were they implying it wouldn't be like the LX, but like every other pentax DSLR - not the easiest thing to change, not intended to be changed regularly, possible, but not officially recommended?
03-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Why would they make it not be? Or were they implying it wouldn't be like the LX, but like every other pentax DSLR - not the easiest thing to change, not intended to be changed regularly, possible, but not officially recommended?
The general feeling is that it's due to the transparent LCD. I suspect that such a display may need to be in contact with the focusing screen to prevent ghosting, so it may be glued on using the optical adhesive used in lenses. If that's the case it would be tricky for the layman to get it apart without damaging the LCD.
03-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
The general feeling is that it's due to the transparent LCD. I suspect that such a display may need to be in contact with the focusing screen to prevent ghosting, so it may be glued on using the optical adhesive used in lenses. If that's the case it would be tricky for the layman to get it apart without damaging the LCD.
Ahh, now that makes sense. I must have missed the bit about the transparent LCD.

03-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ricoh has this feature list for the K-1: Optiical viewfinder and cusamization

It does state that the focusing screen is fixed to the body and not interchangeable.
03-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I suspect that such a display may need to be in contact with the focusing screen to prevent ghosting
The very similar LCD display on the Nikon D810 does not prevent support of interchangeable screens on that camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
It does state that the focusing screen is fixed to the body and not interchangeable.
I saw that statement, but noticed too that the English translation was fairly clumsy in some other areas in ways that might give rise to misconception. I personally have a wait and see on this one. The quote Kerrowdown uses in the original post is from Adam's "hands-on" viewfinder front page article. The quote again with emphasis supplied by me:

QuoteQuote:
While existing Pentax literature suggests that the K-1's focusing screen is not interchangeable, after a look at the screen itself, it appears to be mounted just like the interchangeable focusing screen in other Pentax DSLRs. The use of a focusing screen better suited for manual focusing is therefore conceivable.
I don't want to read any more into it than makes sense, but I truly doubt that Adam would make such a statement if there was any ambiguity as to what he observed. I do know this; if I have a chance to see a K-1 at a show or in a shop, I may "accidentally" give that little retainer a flip and see what falls out.

Steve

(...this duck looks, quacks and walks...hard telling if it swims...)
03-13-2016, 12:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most likely the focusing screen does not touch the "indicator plate". They do tend to be easily scratched, however. Canons and Nikons that work the same way don't have user interchangeable screens either. That being said, it isn't that hard to remove the screen for cleaning (remove two screws and do minor dis-assembly with tweezers) . Nobody makes screens for Canon 5D's, for example. That probably means that nobody will make screens for the K-1. Maybe we could suggest to Pentax that a they offer viewfinder customization ( more useful than different colors). At least that would make the parts available.
03-13-2016, 01:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Most likely the focusing screen does not touch the "indicator plate". They do tend to be easily scratched, however. Canons and Nikons that work the same way don't have user interchangeable screens either. That being said, it isn't that hard to remove the screen for cleaning (remove two screws and do minor dis-assembly with tweezers) . Nobody makes screens for Canon 5D's, for example. That probably means that nobody will make screens for the K-1. Maybe we could suggest to Pentax that a they offer viewfinder customization ( more useful than different colors). At least that would make the parts available.
K-series film bodies had several focusing screen options but they were permanently installed at the time of purchase. While you could have the screen changed (and still can), the operation was not a user change - it required taking the camera to a technician who disassembled the camera to make the change.

The same might technically be feasible and might eventually be the case, but - understanding they don't have the support network available to make such a delicate change professionally, under warranty - Ricoh might have simply decided to call the screen permanently attached to the body.

Think about it. What would we do in the USA for a factory-authorized screen change - send it in to Precision?*

* Yeah, that's gonna work.
03-13-2016, 06:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am less bothered now than I was at first about the prospect of not being able to swap in another screen. As much nostalgic longing as I might have for split prism and microprism screens, I've got the feeling that those little LCD indicators for focus might just work OK.

Still, I feel a strong need to get my hands on one and try it for myself.
03-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I am less bothered now than I was at first about the prospect of not being able to swap in another screen. As much nostalgic longing as I might have for split prism and microprism screens, I've got the feeling that those little LCD indicators for focus might just work OK.

Still, I feel a strong need to get my hands on one and try it for myself.
Iown far too many manual focus K-mount lenses - intentionally. Thinking seriously about how I use them, versus how I use my small kit of FF autofocus lenses I've realized I comparatively rarely focus manual focus lenses through the viewfinder. I understand this borders on Asaheresy, but -
  • I often use hyperfocal on wide lenses
  • I often use LiveView on a tripod - I shoot from a tripod most of the time anyway. (Macro and landscape)
  • I sometimes use an LCD loupe for focus peaking handheld outdoors
I suspect the K-1 viewfinder will be brighter than the K-3 viewfinder and that it will be fine for most manual focus applications