Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the performance

if the performance of the next model of crop sensor matched the K1 (example high ISO noise, auto focus etc) would you still purchase the K1?

all opinions welcomed

Thanks

Randy

03-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
if the performance of the next model of crop sensor matched the K1 (example high ISO noise, auto focus etc) would you still purchase the K1?

all opinions welcomed

Thanks

Randy
hehe, good question...
I have so much use for the longer end of my lenses, I am having a difficult time finding myself wanting the K1 with the wider field of view.
But that the price point, I will probably get the K1 as a backup for when wider angle of view is helpful.
A crop body with the other specs would be quite tempting, and would probably be purchased before the FF K1.

Last edited by amoringello; 03-19-2016 at 07:58 AM.
03-19-2016, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I'd nominate Ricoh for a Nobel Prize for reinventing the laws of physics. But on the other hand, it might be the strongest evidence that we live in the Matrix.
03-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Of course. Its FF.

03-19-2016, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I'd nominate Ricoh for a Nobel Prize for reinventing the laws of physics. But on the other hand, it might be the strongest evidence that we live in the Matrix.
comparing the K3 to the old K10 I would have never thought they could brings things this far

Randy
03-19-2016, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Both formats will keep getting better over time, but FF will always continue having the advantage of a sensor with more than twice the surface area.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Screen tab says it's already matched by k5!

all opinions welcomed

Thanks

Randy
According to some folks hanging out here, the K5 already matches the K1 ( or at least matches the D800, and likely the K1)

03-20-2016, 01:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
crop sensor matched the K1 (example high ISO noise, auto focus etc)
A small detail: AF performance isn't much related to camera sensor size. It's not the same sort of choice as crop vs FF sensor for image quality.

The AF system usually has it's own optical sensor (and even mirror system) within a camera, so it works independent of sensor size. Sometimes cameras of vastly different sensor types - eg 645Z and K-3 - can even share the same AF hardware.

Only in mirrorless systems, and when focussing in LiveView for DSLR's, does the camera sensor make focus (manual focus, human intervention aside).

But yeah, why would anyone buy a D5 or 1Dx when a D500 or 7D2 will do the job, except for a few features.

03-20-2016, 04:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter

The next generation APS-C camera will almost certainly be better than the K-1 in terms of frame rate and AF sensor coverage of the viewfinder image.

But that won't stop me enjoying my K-1.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-20-2016 at 04:52 AM.
03-20-2016, 04:48 AM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

would you still purchase the K1?
Yes... as I've been waiting for many years for my "Ladies" to behave the same as they did during the dark old days of film.
03-20-2016, 05:47 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

all opinions welcomed

Thanks

Randy
Always wait for the next camera. It will be a lot better and it will save you a lot of money. That plan works well for people who don't need a camera.