Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #76
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And give 1.5x more weight to the threads with APS_c in the title as opposed to those with FF in the title.
When applying weight*, it is important to account for the position of the sun and moon and attendant tidal forces. The needed corrections may be small, but are additive across all comments read within a given time period.

Steve

* ...as opposed to mass...

03-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
When applying weight*, it is important to account for the position of the sun and moon and attendant tidal forces. The needed corrections may be small, but are additive across all comments read within a given time period.

Steve

* ...as opposed to mass...
And people just don't do that. That's why I never pay much attention to these threads.
03-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #78
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And give 1.5x more weight to the threads with APS_c in the title as opposed to those with FF in the title.
Um, I think that's bass-ackwards, Norm. You have to multiply APS-c by 1.5 to get the equivalent of FF because FF is 50% bigger than APS-c. Therefore, obviously, anything said in a FF thread has 50% more credibility as anything said in an APS-c thread.

Last edited by Parallax; 03-24-2016 at 09:50 AM.
03-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Um, I think that's bass-ackwards, Norm. You have to multiply APS-c by 1.5 to get the equivalent of FF because FF is 50% bigger than APS-c. Therefore, obviously, anything said in a FF thread has 50% more credibility as anything said in an APS-c thread.
Well you could look at it that way, but then you'd be ignoring the inverse square rule and all the laws of macro-rational physics. (This is the internet, if you have no idea what you're taking about, be sure and try and make it sound like you do, even claim to be an expert.)

" I know a guys who's smarter than the guy you know and he said "You've got it backwards".

03-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #80
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

but then you'd be ignoring the inverse square rule
That inverse square rule trips me up every time. I never was very good at geometry.
03-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #81
Pentaxian

That inverse square rule trips me up every time. I never was very good at geometry.
Is that geometry? Who knew?

On the internet you don't have to know what it is to invoke it.
03-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #82
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Is that geometry?
Yep, geometry.
.....or is it geology?
Maybe it's geography?
I get confused sometimes. I think it's due to reading too many FF threads.
Or Scotch.
Or.....
What were we talking about?
04-01-2016, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #83
Pentaxian

Not speaking for myself, but rather for those who have come far closer to mastering photography than I, it's the same way a chef "knows" how much salt, or garlic to add. The same way an Indy car driver "knows" how much throttle to give in turn 3. The same way a composer "knows" whether or not a G minor 7th will sound better than a G minor.
It's the difference between art and science.
I think equivalence is more important to people who are more concerned with the science of photography than with the art.
But again, the chef or the Indy car driver doesn't deny the underlying reasons why too much salt will ruin the dish, or too much FP of force will pull him into the wall - they just apply knowledge gained from experience that maps to the underlying science. They don't actively deny that science exists, they just use they're own ad-hoc interpretation of it.

(BTW the composer example does not apply - there is no underlying mathematical and physical rule that describes in more detail what he/she does - a musical composition is purely art, purely subjective. I suppose one could come up with a mathematical formula that describes a cadence and chord change that would be most pleasing to most people based on a lot of data and surveys, but IMO music will always just elude an underlying quantitative order. Maybe. I hope. We'll see how they re-task the OK-Go cluster.)

Equivalence is actually very practical and probably makes itself most useful in the planning/buying stage - it allows you to set expectations about how buying anything might help or hurt you. It helps you figure out if someone is trying to sell you a bunch of BS. That's it. After the purchase, you're free to add your pinch of salt, and if you chose wisely, you'll find that you're a happier, less frustrated chef.

04-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #84
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
probably makes itself most useful in the planning/buying stage
Absolutely and is also most useful if the potential purchaser has fairly deep experience with at least of one of the formats being compared. I have found it interesting to consider and watch the "equivalence movement" as it developed and as some of its fringes became, well, very "fringie". Equivalence is a product of the digital/Internet age where close comparison is easy and a ton of technical information is available at our fingertips and online discussion brings a handful of like thinkers together.

In simpler times, this kind of thinking was pretty much absent. I have several books on photography with a few dating back to the mid-70s and while most discuss multiple types of cameras and formats, only one (Steve Simmons' "Using The View Camera") has any discussion of equivalence. Even then it is limited to a table showing FOV for common formats vs. focal length with no mention of comparative DOF. Back then, I guess it was assumed to be immediately obvious in the viewfinder and less people were buying sight-unseen.

I like your examples of chef and race car driver. Regardless of theory and available "recipes", both involve intuitive application of experience in actual practice. As for music composition...the people I know in that business will quickly point out that mathematics form the basis for music theory and theory drives the art of composition. Performance is where art see fruition.

Steve