Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2016, 07:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Are the extra dollars worth the upgrade to the full frame sensor?

Are the Extra Dollars Worth the Upgrade to the Full Frame Sensor? | ilovehatephotography

03-22-2016, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is one terribly written article. There are many blatantly false statements in it as well. The author doesn't appear to have a clue.
03-22-2016, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The author doesn't appear to have a clue.
"Depth of field and the F stop marketing lie" was the worst howler of all. You're standing further away with the crop sensor for the same framing, you nitwit - of course your DOF is going to change. Not to mention that he's playing on the conspiracy theory mentality - "They are lying to you but I know the truth!" Sunshine, you can't handle the truth.

The author can't even spell properly ("descent" instead of "decent"). I could get into more personal stuff - such as the author bio dripping with hipster and so saccharine sweet it had me injecting insulin directly into the left ventricle of my heart - because IMO it tells me a great deal about the way he approaches his trade, but that's getting too much into inference and I'm not a qualified professional profiler.
03-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hate the phrase "that being said." It appears within the first paragraph. Has much even been said?

03-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

In the context of what comes after, yes. Not of great volume, sure but of relatively great importance within the frame of reference of the article.
03-22-2016, 11:07 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

I wish folk would stop calling FF an upgrade from APS-C. It's not. It's a different format. K-7 to K-3ii, that's an
upgrade. Spotmatic to K2DMD, that's an upgrade. MX to 6x7 or K-5 to K-1, that's a change of format, which may
or may not include upgraded features. It may include downgraded features.

Change for format, not an upgrade.
03-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I wish folk would stop calling FF an upgrade from APS-C. It's not.
ff is most certainly an upgrade in pq, for all of the obvious reasons.

next you'll be telling us that mf isn't an upgrade from aps-c either.

03-22-2016, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

I have no idea what pq is, but mf is not an upgrade from APS-C, it is a totally different fish. With my Bronica ETRs I lose autoexposure, any sort of meter, auto-focus, carry ability.
03-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I wish folk would stop calling FF an upgrade from APS-C. It's not. It's a different format.
In probably most ways that matter to photographers, it's an 'upgrade', in that it provides all the shooting options you had with the smaller format and some new ones the smaller format doesn't provide. **

It provides the potential for less noise, more DR, more DOF control in the majority of shooting situations. How much of an upgrade it is depends entirely on the photographer and her use cases.

For a lot of people, the level of 'upgrade' it provides for their shooting scenarios isn't worth the cost. Knowing how to apply equivalence helps you figure that out - helps you manage expectations before you lay down the $$. There's a good example of this with a PF member I can provide.

** and this is without taking the 'upgrades' that the manufacturer may put in the top-line body, like better AF module, bigger VF, other options that go into the flagship.

Last edited by jsherman999; 03-22-2016 at 11:48 AM.
03-22-2016, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
ff is most certainly an upgrade in pq, for all of the obvious reasons.

next you'll be telling us that mf isn't an upgrade from aps-c either.
Upgrade implies 'better'. But what if you're goal is portability, or fps? Then upgraded
picture quality may not matter and APS-C > FF not an upgrade.

In all cases it is a change of format. But it may offer upgraded or downgraded features
depending on the models in question and your needs.
03-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #11
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john.margetts Quote
I have no idea what pq is, but mf is not an upgrade from APS-C, it is a totally different fish. With my Bronica ETRs I lose autoexposure, any sort of meter, auto-focus, carry ability.
pq is picture quality, and you are trying to compare a film camera that came out in 1976 with a digital camera.

this isn't about film vs. digital, look at the thread title.
03-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I had a hard time reading the article, I am guessing it was translated from another language?
"Most professional photographers work with full frame cameras, most likely almost all of them actually." Yikes.
It might have been helpful for someone to proofread it first.
03-22-2016, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

K-7 to K-3ii, that's an upgrade.
That's not an upgrade to everyone either. The k3ii is bigger, heavier, and lacks mechanical SR in video mode.

"Better" is subjective. So unless they explicitly state otherwise whenever someone says "object A is an upgrade compared to object B" just append "for me" or "for my use" after the word upgrade.

Alternatively, chug a beer whenever you see 'upgrade' used in a way you wouldn't and the problem will go away very quickly.
03-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #14
osv
Veteran Member

Upgrade implies 'better'. But what if you're goal is portability, or fps? Then upgraded

In all cases it is a change of format. But it may offer upgraded or downgraded features
i do see that with the certain aspects of the a6300 being better than the same functionalities in the a7rii.

but no one in their right mind is going to categorize an a6300 as an "upgrade" over an a7rii, just like the k3ii will never be an "upgrade" over the k-1.
03-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Yes. You have to know WHY you are buying the camera; i.e. what are you buying it to do, where will you be going with it, and so on. If you buy a camera solely on the numbers, it might be "the best camera" but still utterly the wrong choice for you. The K-1 is in my future because telephoto work is not the be-all-and-end-all of what I photograph; if it were, then based on everything I've read here I would go with one of the K-3 models or await a K-3 successor with K-1 advances.