09-01-2017, 06:20 PM - 2 Likes   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
cough*depth of field control*cough

09-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #197

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
No one 'needs' fast, modern primes.
Yeah and no one "needs" a dslr. Just break out your old pinhole camera from photography class in high school...
09-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No one 'needs' fast, modern primes.
Exactly!
Thats why I vote for the 28-300 Idea. (A modern silent-high-speed-driven 28-300mm, that is also weathersealed will find its buyers for sure.)
Easy to make,
and will sell like hotcake i guess.

I also have a copy of the old Tamron version... already performs very good for a zoom that reaches out from 28mm up to 300mm focal length.(at least my copy does)
09-04-2017, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who is the target customer for a 28-300? The guy with a crop body like the K-70? Eh, no, 28mm is like 43mm on a full frame, so kind of tight to start for an all-purpose zoom. He's better off with lenses like the 18-135 or the 16/17-50 zooms available today, never mind the 18-55 kit zoom which is nothing to sneeze at if you remember what it costs and who it's aimed at.

So, then, the full frame shopper? Does he want a 10x super zoom? Er, probably not. He's paid quite a bit for that K-1 on the shelf and probably has money for a pair of lenses if that's what he wants to do. And he's not going to want to give up the image quality afforded by that big sensor he paid good money for.

Maybe they'd sell some but it doesn't seem worth the engineering time to get a super zoom onto shelves when other lenses are in the wings and need completion. I think in film days a 28-300 made sense because everyone had full frame at their disposal, sometimes for not much cost at all. People trying to be economical with their camera kit budget could rationalize the trade-off in IQ for how that big zoom range (if they even thought about it). Online reviews and brick wall charts would kill this thing even before the crop buyer with his first 'real' camera thought about the implications or went out with the thing and realized he had no width to work with.

My two cents.

09-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #200
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To properly answer the question we first need to know
  • who actually buys Pentax flagship cameras (and mid-range)
  • of those, who actually buys new lenses (I buy nearly exclusively used)
  • and what for what purposes do Pentax people buy Pentax gear
Only then can the question be correctly answered. It might more properly be stated, "Which legacy lens designs could Pentax profitably* update and sell today?"

Appealing though the idea might be, could they really do a D FA*200/4 Macro? OTOH, would a D FA 35/2 DC WR HD sell for $499?
09-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #201

I guess full frame compatible lenses are the main priority now.
If not Ricoh should stop full-frame production and call it a mistake.
If you step into a market you should deal with it.

Despite the fact that I dont know, if you misunderstood something pres...
28-300 is 28-300mm.
And is a very desirable focal range for a walkaround zoom everyone would like to have.
For me 28mm is more or less the same 28mm on APS-C.
Feel, dist., dimens., ... Same. therefore wide angle. Smaller DoF on APS-C , and the pic is cropped but it still feels "wideish" in the same way on both ff and crop.
Since i started with film I may see things differently...
Nonetheless ... You either have to make a sacrifice at the long or the short end, when you design a walkaround zoom ...
If you want to see what a walkaround zoom looks like, that starts at 24mm, then look at sonys fe 24-240...
Neither a good lens, nor what one would call pocketable.

The Tamron 28-300 is a neat little thing and in many ways better than sonys monstrosity. IQ is good.
And its the best compromise between APS-C and Full-Frame range you will be able to produce at a reasonable size.
A DA 18-135 is already there, Af-speed is quite good .. Silent, WR.
Why for Petes sake do you think Ricoh-Imaging shoulf revisit that lens?

A reminder to the title of this thread:

New glass - old glass. Which lenses should Pentax revisit?... Got it?
09-04-2017, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #202
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Superzooms ... (ugh) ... I will have to wash my hands after merely reading about them!

I'm with this guy:

https://photographylife.com/the-question-of-18-300mm-lenses

Last edited by clackers; 09-04-2017 at 04:09 PM.
09-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote
I guess full frame compatible lenses are the main priority now.
If not Ricoh should stop full-frame production and call it a mistake.
If you step into a market you should deal with it.

Despite the fact that I dont know, if you misunderstood something pres...
28-300 is 28-300mm.
And is a very desirable focal range for a walkaround zoom everyone would like to have.
For me 28mm is more or less the same 28mm on APS-C.
Feel, dist., dimens., ... Same. therefore wide angle. Smaller DoF on APS-C , and the pic is cropped but it still feels "wideish" in the same way on both ff and crop.
Since i started with film I may see things differently...
Nonetheless ... You either have to make a sacrifice at the long or the short end, when you design a walkaround zoom ...
If you want to see what a walkaround zoom looks like, that starts at 24mm, then look at sonys fe 24-240...
Neither a good lens, nor what one would call pocketable.

The Tamron 28-300 is a neat little thing and in many ways better than sonys monstrosity. IQ is good.
And its the best compromise between APS-C and Full-Frame range you will be able to produce at a reasonable size.
A DA 18-135 is already there, Af-speed is quite good .. Silent, WR.
Why for Petes sake do you think Ricoh-Imaging shoulf revisit that lens?

A reminder to the title of this thread:

New glass - old glass. Which lenses should Pentax revisit?... Got it?
Yeah, and I posted why it doesn't make sense to revisit this sort of lens, the 28-300 superzoom. Were we not supposed to write comments as to why a certain idea maybe doesn't work?

If we can't critique then this thread ain't no fun at all.
09-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Yeah, and I posted why it doesn't make sense to revisit this sort of lens, the 28-300 superzoom. Were we not supposed to write comments as to why a certain idea maybe doesn't work?

If we can't critique then this thread ain't no fun at all.
You wanted to say:
Why it doesnt make sense in your oppinion.

And keep in mind that the answer for sure wasn't meant offensive, someone just wanted to underline his point/oppinion.
BTW: This thread is kept in the Full-Frame section. ... just sayin.

---------- Post added 09-06-17 at 04:15 PM ----------

To properly answer the question we first need to know
  • who actually buys Pentax flagship cameras (and mid-range)
  • of those, who actually buys new lenses (I buy nearly exclusively used)
  • and what for what purposes do Pentax people buy Pentax gear
Only then can the question be correctly answered. It might more properly be stated, "Which legacy lens designs could Pentax profitably* update and sell today?"

Appealing though the idea might be, could they really do a D FA*200/4 Macro? OTOH, would a D FA 35/2 DC WR HD sell for $499?
Yes they could. If a lens is not too wide angle, i guess not too much revision will have to be done.

And, oh yes it would!! At least one unit, since i am really hot after a full-frame capable 35mm thats weather sealed.

Not that i would have bought a K-1 already(I plan ahead...>), but I still feel hope for me, that Ricoh-Imaging once will offer a fast FF DSLR instead of a "pixeldense" one... and the sharpness on such a "D FA 35/2 DC WR HD" will be good across the whole frame on APS-C anyway, if its actually made for a FF sensor...

Last edited by patarok; 09-06-2017 at 03:58 PM.
09-07-2017, 05:12 AM - 3 Likes   #205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
For example, two of the newest and best Zeiss Milvus lenses have front elements that have a concave front surface! Pentax has not yet discovered this new lens design enhancement as all of their lenses have convex front lens surfaces.
I'm sure these lenses are impressive. And I'm sure it's fun to own a concave lens. But as an optical designer, I can tell you that beginning your lens design by diverging the beams is not something that is commonly done, and for good reason. In fact, part of me doubts that the front element really is concave, I've never seen it.

Calling a concave surface a "new design enhancement is preposterous.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
What makes you think that Pentax can come "out of no where" and start making world class designs that are huge leaps above and beyond their old lenses?
Because they do. Witness the 70-200, 16-85, 28-105, 150-450, 60-250, 31, 43, 77, 21, 15, 70, etc.