Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2016, 04:54 AM   #31
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
I hadn't heard of zeiss lenses for pentax. I'll google and see...
Yes there are still a few floating around. I don't imagine they will last long. Mine arrived. The 35mm f2 and the 85mm f1.4. They are Stella. Before I got these, I was torn between the HD DA 35mm limited and the FA 31mm and after considering every review and trying them out, I went with the 35mm macro. It hardly left my camera. It was 10 out of 10 in my mind. Without any shadow of a doubt, this Zeiss smokes it. I wouldn't rate the 35mm macro more than a 8.5 now. The combined colour, contrast, clarity and sharpness of the 35mm Zeiss leaves it for dead. I'm still to this day to see a FA 31mm shot that looked as good as what I've seen from this Zeiss either. Well worth it. The 85mm is fantastic as well, albeit I've mostly had the 35mm on my camera since receiving them both. Highly, highly recommended. They handle well on the Nikon 36mp cameras also. So they'll be great on the k-1 no doubt!

Last edited by Unregistered User; 04-09-2016 at 05:36 AM.
04-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Focus confirmation uses the PDAF system so has the same 'slop' involved - microadjustment applies.

Magnified view, focus peaking or my favourite - split prism screen - are more accurate.
I agree. A split screen surrounded by a microprism circle is even better. I would gladly spend good money on a non auto focus FF DSLR with an old film style camera focusing screen. I have been using manual focus for 45+ years and it is not the labourious task that some would make it out to be.

I have to admit that some of the Samyang lenses have attracted my attention too. Aperture rings are important to me.
04-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
The 85mm is fantastic as well, albeit I've mostly had the 35mm on my camera since receiving them both. Highly, highly recommended. They handle well on the Nikon 36mp cameras also. So they'll be great on the k-1 no doubt!
hey mate, of you have a split screen in your camera? If yes... the K-1 doesn't allow the change so I think the manual focus will be better but still far from the beautiful screens I have in my ME, P30 or K1000... which I look on all manual lenses with one sad eye.
04-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Yes there are still a few floating around. I don't imagine they will last long. Mine arrived. The 35mm f2 and the 85mm f1.4. They are Stella. Before I got these, I was torn between the HD DA 35mm limited and the FA 31mm and after considering every review and trying them out, I went with the 35mm macro. It hardly left my camera. It was 10 out of 10 in my mind. Without any shadow of a doubt, this Zeiss smokes it. I wouldn't rate the 35mm macro more than a 8.5 now. The combined colour, contrast, clarity and sharpness of the 35mm Zeiss leaves it for dead. I'm still to this day to see a FA 31mm shot that looked as good as what I've seen from this Zeiss either. Well worth it. The 85mm is fantastic as well, albeit I've mostly had the 35mm on my camera since receiving them both. Highly, highly recommended. They handle well on the Nikon 36mp cameras also. So they'll be great on the k-1 no doubt!
I have FA31 and Zeiss 35/1.4, albeit the Sony Zeiss. Yes, I believe a Zeiss Distagon 35/2 would easily smoke an FA31.

Very few ZK's left on ebay. If I'd had time to rationalise all the gear (i.e., sell most of it) I'd be up for those ZK beauties. Very expensive learning curve is this lens thing. By the time you learn that Zeiss is something above and beyond the rest, it's too late, the budget is blown.

EDIT: I can't see a Zeiss ZK lens club in the Lens Club fora. Would be a good one.

Last edited by HopelessTogger; 04-09-2016 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Can't find ZK lens club.
04-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #35
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
hey mate, of you have a split screen in your camera? If yes... the K-1 doesn't allow the change so I think the manual focus will be better but still far from the beautiful screens I have in my ME, P30 or K1000... which I look on all manual lenses with one sad eye.
Hi.

No split screen. I've kind of taken to using live view magnification to focus and it works a treat. I'd prefer looking through, but its ok. I've thought about getting one for the K-3. None available for the k-1? really? I thought it would still be possible. Are you aware why? I assumed it was possible as it is possible other branded cameras that have a similar viewfinder set up/digital overlay.

---------- Post added 04-10-16 at 09:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
I have FA31 and Zeiss 35/1.4, albeit the Sony Zeiss. Yes, I believe a Zeiss Distagon 35/2 would easily smoke an FA31.

Very few ZK's left on ebay. If I'd had time to rationalise all the gear (i.e., sell most of it) I'd be up for those ZK beauties. Very expensive learning curve is this lens thing. By the time you learn that Zeiss is something above and beyond the rest, it's too late, the budget is blown.

EDIT: I can't see a Zeiss ZK lens club in the Lens Club fora. Would be a good one.
Hi

Well it is a matter of personal preference. The 31 is a decent lens. One only needs to look at the following it has received to see that and yes, it takes great pics. Optically though, as mentioned, I'm yet to see a shot taken by it (on pentax or other branded FF cameras) that renders colour, detail, contrast, sharpness (as a whole package) quite like this 35mm zeiss does. I'm so so glad I bit the bullet and got one while they were still available. They will soon be hard to find. I can't see many other people wanting to give theirs up. I've been trying to find a 50mm f2 100mm f2 and 135mm and I've concluded defeat with those! Get in with whats left whilst you can!!!

Last edited by Unregistered User; 04-09-2016 at 07:36 PM.
04-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We've been past this station several times already. Both Pentax users and users of other brands feel that the "focus confirmed" signal provides a reliable way of nailing MF.
Not this user. Focus confirmation using PDAF is no more reliable than the AF system and with lenses faster than f/2.8 the misses start to catch up with the hits very quickly even when using the higher sensitivity center column. There is a reason why my K-3 has a Katz Eye screen and it is not just because it makes me feel cool.

That being said, it is unknown at present how well the stock focus screen on the K-1 will work for manual focus. The overall frame magnification is higher than on the APS-C camera and it may well work just fine, even without focus aids or an optimized matte field.

Steve
04-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
If the "focus confirmed signal" is not working properly... can one adjust the "autofocus" in the customization menu? Even if its not auto focus?
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I'm not sure, either. I think if you add a global adjustment it will affect manual lenses, as well.

The focus confirm can be okay for primes. You can couple it with Catch in focus and possibly with burst mode. Yes, its not the most effective way of doing things, but its a possibility
You can only do per-lens AF fine adjust with AF lenses. Global adjustment will affect both focus confirm and regular AF.

As for using focus confirm in conjunction with CIF, the two are fully equivalent except that CIF releases the shutter for you. I have never tried combining with burst mode.

Steve

04-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There are several lenses that are missing from this discussion that probably should be included.
  • The FA 50/1.4 is still an active product and is a decent example of an f/1.4 normal lens
  • The FA 35/2 is also still active product. I shoot mine on 35mm film and it is no slouch on that medium.
  • Since people are talking Zeiss ZK, Voigtlander SL and SLII lenses tell much the same story, but at a lower price point
Any of the above is a step above the Samyang product, IMHO and I am a fan of Samyang (if not of their QA).

Steve
04-10-2016, 05:25 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Hi.

No split screen. I've kind of taken to using live view magnification to focus and it works a treat. I'd prefer looking through, but its ok. I've thought about getting one for the K-3. None available for the k-1? really? I thought it would still be possible. Are you aware why? I assumed it was possible as it is possible other branded cameras that have a similar viewfinder set up/digital overlay.

---------- Post added 04-10-16 at 09:05 AM ----------

Hi

Well it is a matter of personal preference. The 31 is a decent lens. One only needs to look at the following it has received to see that and yes, it takes great pics. Optically though, as mentioned, I'm yet to see a shot taken by it (on pentax or other branded FF cameras) that renders colour, detail, contrast, sharpness (as a whole package) quite like this 35mm zeiss does. I'm so so glad I bit the bullet and got one while they were still available. They will soon be hard to find. I can't see many other people wanting to give theirs up. I've been trying to find a 50mm f2 100mm f2 and 135mm and I've concluded defeat with those! Get in with whats left whilst you can!!!
Wish I could, but I've imposed a moratorium on camera kit buying until a lot of the existing is sold. Too much to cart around. Too much money.
04-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have actually been pondering this very subject. I already have a couple of Samyangs. I have a M4/3 fisheye lens for my Olympus, and I have the 35mm for my Pentax. I adore the fisheye. On Pentax, however, the Samyangs have fully working aperture control, including the "A" setting, which I don't think they do on any other system.

The lenses seem to be optically outstanding -- barring a few duds, which every factory turns out once in a while. The two I've got are outstanding. Hard to put a finger on, but some of the shots seem downright lustrous, if that makes any sense. The build quality is pretty good by today's standards, too. The feel solid, the focus and aperture rings move with the right smoothness and tension. And the prices are also very good. As long as you're OK with manual focus, of course.

But. . . Here's the thing. Some of these lenses are LARGE. That 35mm is a giant. Yes, it's f/1.4 so you don't expect it to be tiny. And yes, the IQ is great. But man. . . If you care about size (and weight) at all, you can get old Pentax-A manual lenses from eBay that are much more compact.