Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I had the 8mm fe for awhile and was quite happy with it. Would buy Samyang again.

One concern is that Pentax says the focus screen is not changeable on the K-1. What that means for manual focus is unknown.
We've been past this station several times already. Both Pentax users and users of other brands feel that the "focus confirmed" signal provides a reliable way of nailing MF.

03-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

If the "focus confirmed signal" is not working properly... can one adjust the "autofocus" in the customization menu? Even if its not auto focus?
03-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Both Pentax users and users of other brands feel that the "focus confirmed" signal provides a reliable way of nailing MF.
I certainly don't. There is way too much slop in that to be reliable at anything below f/5.6 at least on the k-5 or k-3 series. On the k-1? Who knows?

---------- Post added 03-27-16 at 04:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But do they mean just... "officially not interchangeable", but you can still do it if you don't mind possibly losing warranty..
Not sure, though I believe that question was asked and the answer was no because of the new overlay system in the k-1. It could turn out to be just "officially" of course, but I don't think so.
03-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
If the "focus confirmed signal" is not working properly... can one adjust the "autofocus" in the customization menu? Even if its not auto focus?
I'm not sure, either. I think if you add a global adjustment it will affect manual lenses, as well.

The focus confirm can be okay for primes. You can couple it with Catch in focus and possibly with burst mode. Yes, its not the most effective way of doing things, but its a possibility

03-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

We've been past this station several times already. Both Pentax users and users of other brands feel that the "focus confirmed" signal provides a reliable way of nailing MF.
It's definitely useful, but only at the center point. (And depending on your lens's field curvature characteristics and the DoF you're going for, focus-and-recompose may not keep the subject in focus dependably.)

Also an aftermarket focusing screen can have the additional advantage of accurate DoF previewing at wider apertures.
03-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
Samyang 135mm!! It is stella! if you are after superb optics, then its a must, especially for the price. Here is but one of the many good reviews of it....

Samyang 135mm f/2 ED UMC lens review with samples (Full-frame and APS-C) - YouTube
Thanks for this link. This guy seems to be have done most of the youtube reviews for samyang lenses! They seem to be universally good if not great. Food for thought...

---------- Post added 03-27-16 at 08:44 PM ----------

I wasn't particularly concerned with this anyway as I wanted these lenses for landscape photography. I just use a tripod and magnified live view and manual focus anyway even on AF lenses.
03-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I own the Samyang 10mm and the 7.5mm fisheye for m43. They're nice lenses (particularly the fisheye); but having said that, I don't find them to be in the same league as Pentax glass. My Pentax limiteds (DA, not FA) are sharper, significantly contrastier, with punchier, richer colors and significantly better flare control. I was planning on taking the Samyang 10mm on my February trip to the Southwest for ultra-wide angle work, but after looking at a few score of images from it, I ended up buying the DA 12-24 instead -- and I was glad I did. Just better all around real image quality (as opposed to just sharpness) with the Pentax zoom! While the Samyang is sharp (although no sharper than the 12-24), the images I get out of that 10mm lens were consistently less crisp, more flat, less colorful than what I got out my Pentax zooms and primes.

The Samyangs strike me as a better fit for those who need f1.4 primes for narrow DOF work. Due to their size and weight and poor flare control, they don't strike me as optimal for landscape work, and I would definitely take any higher end Pentax lens, zoom or prime, over the Samyangs for mid-aperture photography.

03-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #23
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
Okay assuming I am going to buy the K1 (looks likely at the moment) I am going to need lenses for it. My usage would be mostly landscapes in conjunction with my 645Z/28-45. I'm trying to decide if I just get the 2.8 zooms (15-30, 24-70) or whether I do something different and go for a nice set of primes. I am aware of the three amigo's but have no personal experience with them. I know they were designed for film a long time ago but they seem to have a good reputation. There is also the new irix 15mm that will soon be available, so that and the three amigo's would fill my most used focal range. There is also the sigma 35mm which is very tempting but bigger and sigma don't seem to have any other new generation primes for K-mount (yet).

However I was looking at the samyang website today and realised they actually have an outstanding range of primes available for K mount. I think they have a A setting on the aperture ring which lets them work as well as pentax lenses albeit without the AF? So I could get the 14, 35, 50, 80 and 100 macro and have a great set of primes for landscapes and nature. I don't mind manual focus as it would be a tripod based shooting and I will keep some Canon gear for when I need AF.

Again I have no experience with the Samyang gear so was wondering what people think of them - particularly sharpness and CA. The 14 seems popular.

Thoughts? I realize no one has tried these lenses on a K1 but they work similarly on Nikon or APS-c pentax.
Oh! You've mentioned that you are considering the FA's or the Samyang's. But what about Zeiss?! There are still Zeiss lenses on ebay. the 35mm f2, 85 1.4. I'm pretty sure there are still some 25 2.8's and a 28 floating around also. I've bought the 85mm and 35mm myself. Beautiful glass. Some other options for you.
03-29-2016, 02:59 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I would say that if you are OK with manual focusing and are interested in saving quite a bit of money, then the Samyangs are probably the way to go. I would put the FA limiteds ahead of the similar focal length Samyangs -- purely based on the images I have seen from both. I own the FA 31 and the FA 77, but have not used any of the Samyangs, so take that with a grain of salt...
04-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Focus confirmation on my K5 and K5-IIs is not reliable at all. Here is a shot taken with my K5-IIs and 300 F4.0 A* lens at Yellowstone in 2013. I don't know if the heat form the thermal features affected the focus sensors or not. But several of my manual focus lenses showed the same thing. The two autofocus lenses I had at the time worked fine. I did a quick stop at Yellowstone and relied on my eyes. This time the shots were much better using the same lenses and cameras, My K3 seems to have much better focus confirmation.

The Samyang lenses have intigued me for some time too. For me it is the 24, 35, 100 Macro and 135 that interest me the most.

I would love a Pentax manual focus DSLR with a nice bright full size view screen and optical focusing aids.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by gaweidert; 04-05-2016 at 03:31 PM.
04-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Focus confirmation on my K5 and K5-IIs is not reliable at all. Here is a shot taken with my K5-IIs and 300 F4.0 A* lens at Yellowstone in 2013. I don't know if the heat form the thermal features affected the focus sensors or not. But several of my manual focus lenses showed the same thing. The two autofocus lenses I had at the time worked fine. I did a quick stop at Yellowstone and relied on my eyes. This time the shots were much better using the same lenses and cameras, My K3 seems to have much better focus confirmation.
Focus confirmation uses the PDAF system so has the same 'slop' involved - microadjustment applies.

Magnified view, focus peaking or my favourite - split prism screen - are more accurate.
04-08-2016, 06:52 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I have sy 85/1.4 and FA 77(43 too) have to say, 77 is such a treat. MF bigger size and not so constant metering with 85/1.4 drives me away from that. I'll buy 31 too, eventually when I get that kind of money. I'll keep my samyang 14/2.8 thou.
04-08-2016, 11:56 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
Oh! You've mentioned that you are considering the FA's or the Samyang's. But what about Zeiss?! There are still Zeiss lenses on ebay. the 35mm f2, 85 1.4. I'm pretty sure there are still some 25 2.8's and a 28 floating around also. I've bought the 85mm and 35mm myself. Beautiful glass. Some other options for you.
I hadn't heard of zeiss lenses for pentax. I'll google and see...
04-09-2016, 02:33 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A couple available for sale on this forum from members, Gyroscope.
04-09-2016, 03:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

They're no longer manufactured but you can find them on ebay, new, unsold units.

ZEISS ZK | eBay

Distagon 25/2.8, Distagon 28/2, Distagon 35/2 and Planar 85/1.4 mostly.

Last edited by HopelessTogger; 04-09-2016 at 03:14 AM.