Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what is pentax benfit from releasing k1

Hi there
as many are waiting the k1 shipping i have a simple but complex question to kill time untill we hold the k1 on our hands!
it is: what the benfit will pentax/ricoh gain from releasing k1!when we are knowing that:
the sensor,the engine,the motherboard the shutter unit are not pentax made
the new lenses are also tamron rebadjed.
pentax only has the name and the black box!
note: i pre ordered k1 and i have k200d./k5+2k5sii+k3+k3ii+k01.

03-27-2016, 01:37 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
what is pentax benfit from releasing k1
One word:

Money.
03-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Same is true with Nikon.

Tamron is an OEM supplier for Sony and Nikon as well. Sony is the largest owner in Tamron.

what the benfit will pentax/ricoh gain from releasing k1!
Money.
03-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wish them better reputation and being able to get more sections of the camera market through the K-1

03-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
One word:

Money.
money!
what money almost the camera parties are third party components !
even the new lenses are tamron rebadjed!
03-27-2016, 01:42 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Ricoh's engineers extensively re-worked the post-sensor circuitry for superior noise reduction, redesigned the shake reduction, completely redefined the control system to assist in photographer workflow, and are ultimately responsible for the programming which turns photons on the sensor into pictures on your SD card.

To say that Pentax has only the name and the black box is to dismiss, diminish or insult the efforts of every engineer who worked so hard to weld all these bits into a cohesive whole (both hardware and firmware). Ultimately a camera can be more than just the sum of its parts.

Since you have already pre-ordered, it is quite clear that what Pentax had to gain from making the K-1 was YOUR MONEY, and they were successful. And that's before we get to the gratitude of all the Pentaxians who have stuck around this long - they successfully got that too.
03-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

money!
what money almost the camera parties are third party components!even the new lenses are tamron!
Make camera for $1000 sell for $1700.
$700 profit per camera.

Lots of orders x $700 = lots of money.

03-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

it is: what the benfit will pentax/ricoh gain from releasing k1!when we are knowing that:
I think it is a bit more subtle than just money - as part of the project they are also developing and test-bedding a range of sensor handling, SR, and image development technologies that they can also adapt and apply across their entire range of imaging products.

More importantly they will be developing and holding patients that give then a competitive advantage in image stabilisation and noise reduction etc.
03-27-2016, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Credibility and also something for aps-c shooters to upgrade to.

A bit of a crazy question though. Most electronic goods comprise of multiple parts of which most are from contract suppliers. Do Apple contract parts for their I-phones? Yes. Do people question they should be making phones?

Howie Be
03-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi there
as many are waiting the k1 shipping i have a simple but complex question to kill time untill we hold the k1 on our hands!
pentax only has the name and the black box!
note: i pre ordered k1 and i have k200d./k5+2k5sii+k3+k3ii+k01.
What's the benefit to HP in making my laptop? The screen is (I think) a Samsung, the processor is an Intel, the hard drive is Seagate, most of the other components are made by other companies too...

Every, and I do mean EVERY camera manufacturer uses components manufactured by other companies. It's how you bring all the components together to make the complete product that's important, and that takes a huge amount of product design and development.

Ricoh will sell a lot of K-1s. They will make a lot of money by doing so, and they will strengthen the Pentax brand in the process. That's the benefit to them. The Pentax community will benefit by having access to one of the most rugged, robust full frame digital cameras available, with familiar Pentax ergonomics and functionality, and compatibility with a fantastic range of legacy K-mount lenses offering the field of view and depth of field originally intended. That's something that hasn't been available since Pentax entered the digital camera market.

If you really feel that the K-1 and its new lenses are nothing more than badged products, I really wonder why you've ordered one.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-27-2016 at 01:54 PM.
03-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Ricoh's engineers extensively re-worked the post-sensor circuitry for superior noise reduction, redesigned the shake reduction, completely redefined the control system to assist in photographer workflow, and are ultimately responsible for the programming which turns photons on the sensor into pictures on your SD card.

To say that Pentax has only the name and the black box is to dismiss, diminish or insult the efforts of every engineer who worked so hard to weld all these bits into a cohesive whole (both hardware and firmware). Ultimately a camera can be more than just the sum of its parts.

Since you have already pre-ordered, it is quite clear that what Pentax had to gain from making the K-1 was YOUR MONEY, and they were successful. And that's before we get to the gratitude of all the Pentaxians who have stuck around this long - they successfully got that too.
ok theغ got my money to divid it among sony ,fujistu and others.!
in the past when the whole camera system was mechanichal yes all the benfite went to pentax or to the others photography company but now. pentax will get less!
03-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

ok theغ got my money to divid it among sony ,fujistu and others.!
in the past when the whole camera system was mechanichal yes all the benfite went to pentax or to the others photography company but now. pentax will get less!
Kodak did very well on selling the film and services.
03-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
What's the benefit to HP in making my laptop? The screen is (I think) a Samsung, the processor is an Intel, the hard drive is Seagate, most of the other components are made by other companies too...

Every, and I do mean EVERY camera manufacturer uses components manufactured by other companies. It's how you bring all the components together to make the complete product that's important, and that takes a huge amount of product design and development.

Ricoh will sell a lot of K-1s. They will make a lot of money by doing so, and they will strengthen the Pentax brand in the process. That's the benefit to them. The Pentax community will benefit by having access to one of the most rugged, robust full frame digital cameras available, with familiar Pentax ergonomics and functionality, and compatibility with a fantastic range of legacy K-mount lenses. Something that hasn't been available since Pentax entered the digital camera market.

If you really feel that the K-1 and its new lenses are nothing more than badged products, I really wonder why you've ordered one.
no wonder i mentioned that the question is a mixed complex and simple.
i pre ordered one to use my k mount lenses.
i didnt mean that k1 is not a good camera but i want to know is it worth for ricoh!
03-27-2016, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Well, why is anything ever sold? For money, profit
A certain % goes to Pentax.
And don't forget that sensor has to be tweaked by Pentax. And Pentax has to configure chip and CPU and card reader and motherboard to all work together. And with Pentax lenses. Pentax has a lot of influence on those parts.

There is also reputation. For years some people said that they don't try Pentax gear because Pentax has no FF. This takes away that excuse. K-1, if it is good camera, will raise the value of whole brand. Even of the APSC gear.

Its like asking, why someone would sell cake, when they buy eggs and flour and sugar from farmers, and oven from store. Ingredients, recipe, final product! There is a potential for profit margin on every step
03-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

i didnt mean that k1 is not a good camera but i want to know is it worth for ricoh!
They are making a profit.