Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote

---------- Post added 03-29-16 at 07:43 AM ----------

I agree. Perhaps my statement was a little to broad and lets face it, kinda biased dues to brand loyalty

However, and this is my own personal opinion so its very subjective, I have held the Nikon and Canon equivalents of the K-3 and even some of their full frame models, and I just couldn't get past the solid feeling of the Pentax. It's what I thought the others should feel like given the price point. They aren't bad but just don't have the same feel.
I have a Canon 6D and it's a toy camera in terms of built quality if I compare it with Pentax K-5 II or with Pentax K-3 II (those were my Pentax bodies before I switched to Canon). As a Canon shutter I agree with you that only top cameras from Canon can compete with Pentax in terms of built quality.
For example, when I had K-3 II, I had enough confidence in the built quality of the camera to provoke a few photographers with Canon and Nikon to shoot with me in the rain. Only a photographer with canon 7D had the guts and I knew he will accept the challenge with a smile on his face. The ones with D7000, D7100, 6D, 70D probably have heard about Pentax built quality and didn't accept my challenge.

What I want to say is that I know very well how good are Pentax cameras in terms of built quality, but now (because I shoot with Canon) I know also which Canon cameras can handle a lot of abuse. I don't like the idea of paying a lot more money for the same built quality I can get even with Pentax entry level cameras, but with Canon I have a few things which when I was shooting with Pentax I didn't. So I did a compromise: I've lost some good stuff from Pentax and I gained some other good stuff from Canon. If Pentax will continue in this manner then maybe in 3 or 4 years I will be looking again at Pentax cameras.

10-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #17

K10d -> K-7 -> K-1 all survived Burning Man just fine, been in the rain, taken to the beach, in the snow, never an issue. I'm not going diving with them but I don't worry when it starts to rain. The weather sealing was one of the main selling points for me since I go to Burning Man and don't want to have to worry about the camera. I'm rough with my cameras but I try to be careful but they do get knocked around a bit when traveling and shooting. But everything I have has lasted over the years and still works. Even my ME Super still works great which I love and got me into photography to begin with. So from my personal experience while maybe not quite as solid as a top end canon if you respect the camera they will last. I got 7 years out of the K-7 before I upgraded to the K-1. Just getting to know the K-1 but it's already been to Burning Man and Japan and I really love it.
11-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tibsfox Quote
K10d -> K-7 -> K-1 all survived Burning Man just fine, been in the rain, taken to the beach, in the snow, never an issue. I'm not going diving with them but I don't worry when it starts to rain. The weather sealing was one of the main selling points for me since I go to Burning Man and don't want to have to worry about the camera. I'm rough with my cameras but I try to be careful but they do get knocked around a bit when traveling and shooting. But everything I have has lasted over the years and still works. Even my ME Super still works great which I love and got me into photography to begin with. So from my personal experience while maybe not quite as solid as a top end canon if you respect the camera they will last. I got 7 years out of the K-7 before I upgraded to the K-1. Just getting to know the K-1 but it's already been to Burning Man and Japan and I really love it.
Epic photo ops, Burning Man. How do you get tickets? Any chance you'd post some pics, I think it's incredible, but probably never get the chance to go.
11-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
This year was my K-5's fourth trip to Burning Man. It comes out a mess but all it requires is a wipe down. I did have the sensor cleaned before this year though. It's amazing it does not get ruined.
Tickets to the Burn? Lots of options and we've never had a problem but it takes some ingenuity and such. If you want to go, there is a lot more involved than just getting a ticket!
I use my K-5 for daytime and a pocket Canon for nighttime as I like to be very mobile at night and do not want to haul around a DSLR. Lots of dancing and other wild stuff to get involved with.
Here is a link to my Flickr album from this year (take a look around and you will find my other BM albums). Very camp specific but you'll get an idea of the great opportunities for fun photos.
Burning Man 2016 | Flickr

11-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #20

Nice pics eddaytona *bunnies are awesome

The best way to go to Burning Man is to get involved with the nearest regional group and go from there. As eddaytona mentioned there is a lot more to it then just getting a ticket.

These are all from the K-1, also very camp specific.
2016 Burn

I did manage to get water into the front element of the D FA 24-70, it's been really wet in California. I left the camera out over night to take a time lapse but it got rained on. Since it was pointing up the water pooled on the front element and wicked inside it. It dried but left water marks =( I really don't fault the lens for this though because it was an extreme condition. Normal rain, even heavy rain isn't an issue.

Went to Halloween in Santa Cruz and it poured rain, was out all night in it.