Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 04:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax k1 weather resistance

Funny video on YouTube

For those who don't speak Korean, just cut to 8-9 minutes.

Don't get these guys wrong.
These guys love Pentax.

03-28-2016, 04:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

These videos are getting kind of boring. They are great PR for Pentax, but have zero validity in regard to making claims about the quality of weather sealing. a) weather sealing is supposed to protect against dust, splashes and water hitting the camera at low pressure, not a directed stream of water, b) Pentax (and no other DSLR manufacturer) covers water damage under warranty, and c) just because the camera works fine ten seconds after, doesn't mean there couldn't be some water that entered and slowly makes its way past the seals, leading to corrosion and problems in the future.
03-28-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
b) Pentax (and no other DSLR manufacturer) covers water damage under warranty, and c) just because the camera works fine ten seconds after, doesn't mean there couldn't be some water that entered and slowly makes its way past the seals, leading to corrosion and problems in the future.

Though I do agree that the long term affects have not be shown when doing these kinds of stunts with Pentax camera's, Pentax is thus far the only brand that I have heard of that routinely survives such stunts. A quick google search of "pentax in water", "canon in water", and "Nikon in water" show that, aside from the Nikon D500, the pentax camera line is the only line that can survive this type of treatment.

So I agree, there is only anecdotal evidence of the long term survivability of these cameras, however, being able to immediately turn on and off and function correctly after being exposed to such extreme conditions, is a testament to the pentax's sealing a build quality as no other camera has been demonstrated (in my searches) to be able to survive such stunts on a regular basis.

And honestly, that is all these fine video making folks are trying to prove. Also didn't popular photography magazine wash a K-30 with soap and water and it came out fine too?
03-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
Though I do agree that the long term affects have not be shown when doing these kinds of stunts with Pentax camera's, Pentax is thus far the only brand that I have heard of that routinely survives such stunts. A quick google search of "pentax in water", "canon in water", and "Nikon in water" show that, aside from the Nikon D500, the pentax camera line is the only line that can survive this type of treatment.

So I agree, there is only anecdotal evidence of the long term survivability of these cameras, however, being able to immediately turn on and off and function correctly after being exposed to such extreme conditions, is a testament to the pentax's sealing a build quality as no other camera has been demonstrated (in my searches) to be able to survive such stunts on a regular basis.
Say what?

03-28-2016, 07:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Do people really do these tests with their own cameras, or have they gotten hold of a lender for review purposes?

Whatever the source, or intent, I still think these demonstrations are exciting to see. It is as yet not boring to see Pentax getting
some exposure other than ridicule.
03-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

... as no other camera has been demonstrated (in my searches) to be able to survive such stunts on a regular basis.
I am pretty sure any Canon 1Dx or Nikon D5 would pass the same tests

Pentax' weather sealing is not better than that of other manufacturers in absolute terms, it is just better relative to competing cameras of the same category. The K-1 is probably better sealed than any 5D Mk III or D750/D810, but it won't be any better than a 1Dx or D5. The same applies to the K3, which is probably ahead of the D7200 or 70D in weather sealing.

The second advantage is the existence of weather sealed lenses at a low price point. What use is a sealed 70D if all the affordable Canon lenses are not weather sealed, and even many L lenses need a filter to complete the sealing

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Do people really do these tests with their own cameras, or have they gotten hold of a lender for review purposes?
Considering the K-1 cannot yet be bought, this must be a review sample.
03-28-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Say what?
This was about "long term survability", not "please, work until the end of the video" which is what that Canon did (it can't be blamed for not resisting deliberate attempts at destroying it)
And of course, a K-1 would similarly get water into its mirror box - thanks to the non-weather sealed body cap.

I dislike such "tests", because precision equipment should be treated with care and respect IMHO. However, I like these kind of tests:
03-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sjyoon20904 Quote
Funny video on YouTube

https://youtu.be/HfO6_ohZ7nM

For those who don't speak Korean, just cut to 8-9 minutes.

Don't get these guys wrong.
These guys love Pentax.
Didn't understand a single word, but enjoyed the video anyway. Especially loved the surprise and laughter after the power had timed out and he restarted the camera after a bit of anxious silence.

03-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax's biggest advantage is offering weather-sealing in entry-level cameras and lenses. Pentax also markets weather sealing more clearly, whereas it's actually quite hard to tell which Canon and Nikon lenses are sealed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that is pretty crazy and impressive, though I think it would be a little more expected of a camera that costs approx 2X what the comparable pentax version is.
03-29-2016, 12:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

that is pretty crazy and impressive, though I think it would be a little more expected of a camera that costs approx 2X what the comparable pentax version is.
My initial comment was addressed to this comment of yours "...aside from the Nikon D500, the pentax camera line is the only line that can survive this type of treatment." Yes, Canon 7D Mark II and Nikon D500 costs more than Pentax K-3 II. But they all are in the same category: best current crop sensor cameras from Pentax, Canon and Nikon. And they are all built like a tank.

Pentax on the other hand has a lot better construction when comes to entry level and middle range cameras. And Pentax has also those cheap but decent performance lenses which are weather resistant. This combination makes Pentax suitable for people on tight budget but with the desire to take photos in tough weather conditions.

---------- Post added 03-29-16 at 07:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
This was about "long term survability", not "please, work until the end of the video" which is what that Canon did (it can't be blamed for not resisting deliberate attempts at destroying it)
And of course, a K-1 would similarly get water into its mirror box - thanks to the non-weather sealed body cap.

I dislike such "tests", because precision equipment should be treated with care and respect IMHO. However, I like these kind of tests:
Pentax K-5IIs Ž溫測試影‰‡ - YouTube
I also like this kind of "tests". Cracking Open the 7D Mark II, The Most Thoroughly Weather Sealed Camera I've Ever Seen

As I said, Pentax has some of the best bodies in terms of construction. It can't be beaten in the entry level and middle range APS-C range. But that doesn't mean that Nikon and Canon don't have bodies as tough as Pentax's. They have, but are just more expensive.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 03-29-2016 at 12:44 AM.
03-29-2016, 01:55 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To claim that Canon 7D II is built like a tank is definitely an exaggeration. It feels very plastic and not so robust in comparison with cameras from Pentax (which is well known) but even medium Nikon models.
03-29-2016, 03:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
To claim that Canon 7D II is built like a tank is definitely an exaggeration. It feels very plastic and not so robust in comparison with cameras from Pentax (which is well known) but even medium Nikon models.
If you say so... 7D Mark II has a full magnesium alloy body. And take a look at this photo in order for you to see how well the body is sealed. If you think Pentax K-3 II is better in terms of construction then you are not being objective.

But enough with the off topic.

[IMG][/IMG]
03-29-2016, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you say so... 7D Mark II has a full magnesium alloy body. And take a look at this photo in order for you to see how well the body is sealed. If you think Pentax K-3 II is better in terms of construction then you are not being objective.

But enough with the off topic.

[/url][/IMG]
I've seen the photos and I know it's Canon top APS-C model. I transfer my and my best friend's subjective opinions. He is a Canon 7DII user along with the 100-400II mainly that we go shooting together on a weekly basis... I also have the older K-5IIs and he admits that the feeling of the Pentax camera in the hands is much better than his Canon (though he finds it small to be taken seriously). Anyway I can tell you anytime with blind eyes the Canon camera from a mix of various DSLRs from Pentax and Nikon just by feeling the plastic cover and scratching the surface...

But once more I notice It's just mine perception of things, not an objective general opinion that I express here
03-30-2016, 06:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My initial comment was addressed to this comment of yours "...aside from the Nikon D500, the pentax camera line is the only line that can survive this type of treatment." Yes, Canon 7D Mark II and Nikon D500 costs more than Pentax K-3 II. But they all are in the same category: best current crop sensor cameras from Pentax, Canon and Nikon. And they are all built like a tank.

Pentax on the other hand has a lot better construction when comes to entry level and middle range cameras. And Pentax has also those cheap but decent performance lenses which are weather resistant. This combination makes Pentax suitable for people on tight budget but with the desire to take photos in tough weather conditions.

---------- Post added 03-29-16 at 07:43 AM ----------

I agree. Perhaps my statement was a little to broad and lets face it, kinda biased dues to brand loyalty

However, and this is my own personal opinion so its very subjective, I have held the Nikon and Canon equivalents of the K-3 and even some of their full frame models, and I just couldn't get past the solid feeling of the Pentax. It's what I thought the others should feel like given the price point. They aren't bad but just don't have the same feel.