Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Yeah, after this thread I upgraded to firmware 3.1 from 1.01, but no option for uncompressed raw. The notes do say "improved image quality" as a claimed benefit from the upgrade. I don't know what that means.

From what I have read, it is mostly highlight noise that gets dropped in the lossy raw files, but there may be some minute posterization effects at the borders in the shadows. Since we have no other option, we will not be able to see the difference.
It is a terrible contraption of clonk whichever way you look at it.

04-02-2016, 08:17 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Terrible performance hit if you did, Gene:

https://youtu.be/tnFLZcGgerU
Interesting that the there are 17% more pixels in the A7RII sensor than the A7R, but the lossy raw files are 29% bigger even before adding the new uncompressed format. I wonder how much bigger the buffer is between the two models.
04-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Oppps wrong person.
04-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #19
Site Supporter

The photos from the A7R, lossy Raw or not, look pretty darn good. I'll be very interested to see how they compare to the K1, when it is available. But then the photos from the K3 are barely behind them.

Like the discussion of FF vs. cropped formats, you have to make decisions about what you really need. If you need fast action, FF is really not ideal yet, anyway, FPS rates on the Sony or the Pentax that are about half that of their APS-C siblings. The 11fps on the A6000 feels like video, and makes the A7R shutter seem even more clunky than usual.

04-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The photos from the A7R, lossy Raw or not, look pretty darn good. I'll be very interested to see how they compare to the K1, when it is available. But then the photos from the K3 are barely behind them.

Like the discussion of FF vs. cropped formats, you have to make decisions about what you really need. If you need fast action, FF is really not ideal yet, anyway, FPS rates on the Sony or the Pentax that are about half that of their APS-C siblings. The 11fps on the A6000 feels like video, and makes the A7R shutter seem even more clunky than usual.
I keep the A6000 to 6 frames per second so the tracking AF set to high can keep up. It's a great spray and pray machine with the 70-200/4. It could lose the AA-filter though and I notice an AA-filter remains in the A6300.
04-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
I keep the A6000 to 6 frames per second so the tracking AF set to high can keep up. It's a great spray and pray machine with the 70-200/4. It could lose the AA-filter though and I notice an AA-filter remains in the A6300.
I agree, though I haven't dropped the bucks for that lens. The absence of the AA filter puts the K3 noticeably ahead of the A6000. It is one big improvement in the A7R. I probably won't upgrade the A6000 until there is a model which includes IBIS. My camera body money this year will end up in the K1,anyway.