Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
besids what you mentioned Jimr
k1 is a double camera with a double shutter life.
it is a full frame with crop mode. it has 300000 clicks and it is only 1800$
so no need for more aps/c at least to me.

04-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The bulk is the only real issue, and I won't know how much of an issue until I lug one around. I'll probably rent one once they become available.
04-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #18

For sure the next month or so will be very interesting on the forum, finally it will arrive !!!!
04-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote

My second favorite feature is the PENTAX logo on this camera. Oh to be standing at an event with a K-1 around my neck, silently pledging my allegiance over all the ‘better’ camera makers on display.

It's funny - I’ve never really felt like a Pentax public advocate before but the K-1 is that special, and its impact that big for me.
Surprise..?
Some of us...agree with your second favorite feature...and have been public advocates of Pentax since we've been dragged through the streets, tomatoes and rotten lettuce being thrown at us, being spat at and being kicked around.

The Canikony crowd was tough enough, but it was even more cruel when FF was a dirty word even here.
So many wanted us to give up.
You who wanted FF to die, you know who you are!

Yes, some of us - Pentaxians - have been here the whole time and have lost our shiny gloss, a long time ago.

We - who where the curmudgeons who never let go when being told to forget the FF.
We who Ricoh banned in the early days for not being quiet for the FF.
Yes, we storied veterans who took the slings and arrows.

Yes. We know.

04-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The bulk is the only real issue, and I won't know how much of an issue until I lug one around. I'll probably rent one once they become available.
Jim - I tried the K-1 and 24-70 at a show recently, and I don't think you'll find the bulk to be much of an issue. Yes, the camera is bigger than the K-3, but only marginally... and the 24-70 is lighter than I expected. It's a very manageable kit. Take the 24-70 off and use something like the three amigos, and you could even call it rather compact. Now, the K-1 + grip + 70-200 will feel bulky and heavy to some, but that's no different than any FF DSLR.

I do think there'll be a small number of people taken a little by surprise with the size and weight increase, but they'll be the ones who haven't handled a FF camera with fast, FF glass before. The majority of K-1 buyers will, in my view, be very pleased with the form factor.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-04-2016 at 11:40 AM.
04-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #21
Forum Member

I had a good play with a K1 and a 15-30 at the NEC a few weeks back before opening hours, I was quite impressed with it, it had a nice amount of weight, without being to heavy.

I have been looking for a new stills camera since moving to video 10 years ago and I feel this will be a great option, I am just waiting to see what the proper reviews say about it before jumping in.
04-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
so now we need more memory cards with more capacity. Oh well! Get something, give something!
Funny you should say that... a couple of SanDisk 32 GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-1 Cards arrived today, now just waiting for the K1 to put them in.

04-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Funny you should say that... a couple of SanDisk 32 GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-1 Cards arrived today, now just waiting for the K1 to put them in.
You didn't choose the "Super Extreme Pro Plus" version? ... ... <facepalm>
04-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You didn't choose the "Super Extreme Pro Plus" version?
I just followed the link "Optimal performance will only be achieved with the fastest UHS-I SDHC/SDXC cards (we recommend the Sandisk Extreme Pro series)"

So what do the Super Extreme ones do?
04-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I just followed the link "Optimal performance will only be achieved with the fastest UHS-I SDHC/SDXC cards (we recommend the Sandisk Extreme Pro series)"

So what do the Super Extreme ones do?
I just made it up Though if Sandisk is interested, I'm happy to advise on naming for their next product update - for a small fee
04-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I just made it up
Very good, I'm sure they may well be interested in your services... give 'em a shout.

I must admit I still think of cards like film used to be... the cheap consumable bit, so I tend to change them out fairly frequently.

These were the cards recommended for the K1, so I wanted to give the camera a fair trial.
04-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oddly enough a pair of 32gb Extreme Pro cards arrived for me today too. Again for the upcoming K-1. Hopefully another 10 days or so and we'll be able to try them.
04-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I must admit I still think of cards like film used to be... the cheap consumable bit, so I tend to change them out fairly frequently.
I was much the same until I tried "Samsung Memory 16GB Pro SDHC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10" cards... I was gob-smacked by the difference in performance compared to the various cards I'd previously used. I now have these in my K-5, K-3 and K-3II, as well as a couple of spares. I'm sure they've already been superseded by even faster cards (I imagine the Sandisks you've ordered might qualify), but my point is that the performance of these newer cards really does make a huge difference
04-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

but my point is that the performance of these newer cards really does make a huge difference
I would agree, but you do need have the hardware that can utilise these cards, my old K20Ds still use a blackboard and chalk to capture images on.
04-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #30
Veteran Member

my old K20Ds still use a blackboard and chalk to capture images on