Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 06:57 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's not what they're meant for. Taking really impressive images is your job; those samples just show which lenses have an adequate performance on the K-1 ;)
Scratch that. Actually they just demonstrate that you can upload images on the site. Though I quite like that birdie in a cherry tree image...
That cherry tree shot is pretty impressive wide-open at the maximum zoom. Very nice for a 'kit lens'....

04-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #47
Site Supporter

They've added some new lenses and images to the laboratory. Interesting news for those with the 20-40 it may be FF friendly in at least 1 focal length.
04-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunalety they put many night captures up there. (Dark) vignetting and night photography are good friends but it seems the DA 35 will be a good lens on the FF sensor...! The plastic will still be fantastic! I should go and get one
04-22-2016, 04:23 AM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent news about the DA 35. It will be my walk around lense on the K-1 replacing the role of the DA 21limited on my K-7. A drop in functionnality : no quick-shift, no hood but an increase in speed.
The 2,4 picture of the peach flowers looks good as far as vigneting is concerned. It will have to serve until they pop out a DFA* 35 1.4 or a DFA 35 2 WR.
David

04-23-2016, 12:32 AM   #50
Veteran Member

hopefully they will bring some shots with the DA 12-24 soon there... oh, or better my K-1 arrives sooner
05-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Quite a few more lenses and images added to the laboratory if you haven't been following that.
05-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing! I closed my Lab-Tab yesterday haha
6 new sites of photos posted. Oh my, lots of new stuff to discover!
Although I really love the "post your k-1 photos" thread in here, since it covers all the third party pearls too!
05-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But it also means superb post-processing and posting high quality image files on a good server. If Ricoh is posting highly compressed, scaled-down jpegs (and who knows what kind of algorithms/programs were used for this) just to save on server costs, then the photos will not look impressive.
Oh, and it is also important what the subjects are. Taking a photo that anyone can take will not impress a lot of people. This is why Nikon gives their cameras to top notch photographers and then gets to use some photos as their advertising. While we know that it is the photographer and not the gear that makes the image, many people do not. They think "good photo? good camera!" Taking a photo of a leaf hanging from a tree branch is nice, but it is a common motif and will not impress a lot of people. Take that leaf and have Heidi Klum hold it between her toes while she does a headstand? That will impress people. They won't forget that photo. Even if it is technically no better than the photo of the leaf on tree.
Marketing 101
Think of it... We are here on a photography forum. About Pentax. We focus more on DSLR. Most people have model of 10MP and up, most are using 16 or 24MP DSLR. Maybe half of the viewers have full HD screens.

People go forever on discussion on how pixel shift is changing the world of product phography like if the photographer having a better camera match with the user looking at the pictures upgraded themselve with bionic eyes and the printing and displays industry upgrading too.

Still the policy is to not go past 1024. And if I include a link from flickr, at least the user can click and see the full size jpeg if he wish to. But if I directly download a picture from the website, it is compressed more heavily than what I provided to reduce bandwidth. I routinely find my picture posted on this forum at 1024 size to look worse than the same 1024 file on my computer !!!

We are on a site of user that are basically the only one that care of resolution with the few other photographers forums and alike here. The rest of humanity doesn't care. But even on such websites, 1 time out of 2, when people speak of sharpness they just link a 1024 wide picture and how much PS, the latest FF or whatever else make it look better.

We do this all the time... But we complain because the sample of pentax are maybe "only" 2MP while we routinely limit ourselve to 0.7MP... All the while we insist on the existencial difference between 24 and 36MP.