Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Haha I love being easy to please! All looks promising here especially the FAL's and FA50/1.4. I am nothing but excited.

04-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems the winner there is the kit 28-105.
04-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check your monitor. I can see *no* grain in the 100 macro leaf shot.
04-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
These are snapshots by Jan in Accounting and Wayne in Engineering.

There are a couple of actual photographer samples in the K-1 site.

And of course, we'll all do better, right? 😀

04-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

So this is basically not a K-1-exclusive-instagram-derivation but place to study performance, vignetting, sharpness etc. of Pentax lenses mounted on the K-1. hopefully they add the M and A Series too... The Kit and the FA50 Are my favorite shots there.
04-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The fa 31 fireworks shot is outstanding.
04-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They ar being very open about the lenses which is good and letting the community determine what is good or not. They haven't cherry picked the best lenses to include when the site opens up. There are some known stinkers in there like the 80-320.

04-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

oh you are right and the 28-80, which wasn't such a cool lens either (when I remember right). This Lab will be a great resource... The idea is cool, maybe even overnight will be new content online
04-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am not impressed with the examples I saw off the linked page, but fully expect that with proper curation, the page may be a good resource in the future.

Steve
04-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I'm only disappointed that they apparently don't want me posting any of my K/M lens stuff on the site.
04-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #26
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
That 28-105 (supposedly a kit lens) looks serious.
PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

Confirms DA* 55/f1.4 is a full frame.

HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mmF2.8ED SDM WR looks impressive in the corner sharpness (@f8 however)

smc PENTAX-DA 40mmF2.8 XS confirmed FF (I love this super pan cake, <- this is what I call it)

smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8. Knew it was going to be good. A very bad composition though.

DA* 50-135, my favorite lens but not impressed with this cat picture and looks soft @2.8 but much cleaner ISO@6400.

FA50 f1.4 is neat. I am sure M/A/F50f1.7 will shine for sure.

This FA-31 shot neatly demonstrates the the near perfect FOV for wide/normal prime.

DA70 seems to be a FF and many pictures shot with it.

Great IQ over all. But I must say that the subject matter chosen for the sample images and the compositions made are mediocre at best. Ricoh should rather send the review materials to some veteran forum members out here and let them populate this space than letting their staff shoot and populate this space. K-1 in the right hands will be a killer Ricoh.

---------- Post added 04-05-16 at 11:12 AM ----------

Indeed. Superb IQ for a kit lens I am thinking.
Interesting - to me these just confirm the 55/70/40 DA lenses are NOT FF and it is not just my copies that have mushy corrners on FF (and compared to FA50/FA*77/M40) . Can't tell about the XS as I can hardly make anything out of that dark picture but the DA 40 limited corners look as bad as mine .
04-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Interesting - to me these just confirm the 55/70/40 DA lenses are NOT FF
What? Look at the lower left corner of DA* 55mm, you can see that the DoF is shallow and bent, but it still renders detail even in extreme corners (the little square cup; the little branch).
The DA 40mm shot is a bit too dark (with lots of noise and apparent sharpening in PP), but it still seems that the general structure of branches, wall is fairly good even in extreme edges.

Anyway, Pentax Forums will be conducting tests of a lot of lenses on the K-1, so you can just sit tight and wait for the more reliable results, form PF staff, various bloggers, and other users.
04-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #28
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Maybe it's my crappy work laptop monitor, but I don't see any graininess on the FA 31 image. It looks very clear and detailed to me.
I''ve looked on both my macbook and my 24 inch pro nec monitor. its there. I was looking with each of the mentioned images opened in a new window, zoomed it. Yeah not impressed. But pretty sure that its just a result of a low quality poorly compressed file. I have worked on pre production full size raws and they were great. I can't see why Ricoh would opt for such low quality samples to go on their site. How is it doing them any favours? Perhaps they want to save bandwidth? I've no idea.

---------- Post added 04-06-16 at 08:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
I don't see much grain except in the cat picture. These are only 3MP images and zoomed more than 100% reveals something that you dont expect to see in a full resolution Image.

blotchy?? That firework shot has clouds in the background if thats what you call blotchy. And that leaf shot may have some image detail renderings in the background due to the defocus. Not sure if its a badly back-lit monitor TV you are watching the images on.

The IQ is by no means bad. The subject and the compositions.. Well... some programmer of this site's feature had to go out and take some shots to get his feature going looks like.
viewing the images zoomed in on a pro nec monitor (same territory as a top of the line eizo). Seen also on my macbook. Its there. It looks like tiny little horozontal and vertical strokes or something. Its not normal for a file to look like that at all in full res. Must just be poorly resolved/compressed low res files. Im surprised they haven't worked it so better quality images get uploaded onto it that resolve better.
04-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #29
Unregistered User

From the fireworks shot at 200% which enhances what I'm seeing even at 100% SURELY just poorly compressed low res. Defiantly shouldn't be able to see grain like that as such low iso, especially @ 100%. Not trying to nit pic here. Though as kinda mentioned, I'm totally scratching my head why they allow such poorly taken pics to go up from a marketing perspective.... I'm sure all will be sweet with our full res files. fingers crossed.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 11-23-2016 at 10:06 AM.
04-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just an additional resource, guys - probably with preproduction firmware and all. Industry previewers were not even permitted to post full size examples.

You just *know* that the K-1 Sample thread on this forum will have plenty of pics from proud owners from the end of the month.

No wrist-slitting in the meantime, please! ☺