Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marketing Mistake

I think it does not make sense to continue to post these less than "best in class" images on the web site. Not sure what the difference might be with the production units, but others will want to compare this camera to the Nikon D810 and Canon offerings. This means using the best glass Pentax has access to and photographs that represent the final production quality of the K1.

04-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
From the fireworks shot at 200% which enhances what I'm seeing even at 100%
Honestly ... Don't you think that you are pixel peeping a small web-sized sample image too much?

Plus 1 million things could contribute to what you have identified at such scale on such small images: JPEG processing, web compression, even applying sharpening without using a mask in Lightroom to the processed RAW could contribute to what you are seeing.
04-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gee, tough crowd.

The images from the DFA15-30 and DFA28-105 are superb. I am particularly encouraged by the flare resistance of the former; my DA15, FA20, FA20-35, DA21, FA*24 and F28 might be looking for new homes soon unless they bring something special to the table....

The DA*55, DA40 and DA40 XS look like they'll be OK stopped down a bit. Comparing my DA*55 to my A50/1.2 will be an early priority.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 04-05-2016 at 10:15 PM.
04-05-2016, 08:33 PM - 3 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

I don't ever view images at 200%.

04-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I don't ever view images at 200%.
me neither.....unless I'm looking for Waldo. On my 27" iMac the images look great... and I'm impressed with the sensor so far. Overall, lovin' this feature especially if they continue to lead into launch with images from more of the lenses.
04-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA*55, DA40 and DA40 XS look like they'll be OK stopped down a bit. Comparing my DA*55 to my A50/1.2 will be an early priority.
Hopefully the 55* is a complete FF performer. Seems like it might just have a little vignetting wide open, but a lot of fast 50's do
04-06-2016, 12:26 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric4 Quote
Hopefully the 55* is a complete FF performer. Seems like it might just have a little vignetting wide open, but a lot of fast 50's do
I would say those test shots show quite a lot of vignetting, and that's exactly why I want to compare it to my A50/1.2

04-06-2016, 01:06 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I'm only disappointed that they apparently don't want me posting any of my K/M lens stuff on the site.
Yeah, I was hoping for photos from the 120mm f2.8 Takumar...

I do hope they open it up to the really old lenses; it would be a fun way to show the flexibility of the ecosystem...

-Eric
04-06-2016, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

I actually really like the idea to establish an own lens lab dedicated to the new format on Pentaxforums. This way we could also integrate third party lenses (I am highly interested in the 70-200/2.8 Tammy) and every other lens you can screw on. I don't know how this could be implemented in the existing lens database or how much work this, but it would be cool... wouldn't it?
04-06-2016, 03:12 AM   #40
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Honestly ... Don't you think that you are pixel peeping a small web-sized sample image too much?

Plus 1 million things could contribute to what you have identified at such scale on such small images: JPEG processing, web compression, even applying sharpening without using a mask in Lightroom to the processed RAW could contribute to what you are seeing.
Merely trying to give a more clear example of what I was seeing at 100% when others seemed to have not caught what I referred to. 200% is not something of the norm for me to view really. Lest it be superb and amazing and I'm looking in awe! : )

yeah, I agree there's lots that could contribute to it. It was but a rude shock when first seeing them. I came with the impression if be seeing a true sense of what these lenses would do, not tarnished low res versions. Dropped a lot of $ on this camera and lenses for it, so it had me worried for a sec. Crazy they aren't putting their best foot firsts and really showing the quality of each lens to its best. Oh well. I'm sure I'll really see how it all preformed when my camera comes and I try the lenses I have myself. Paid for it now, there's no going back.

Peace.
04-06-2016, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #41
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the point of this site is to avoid making black and white declarations of "this lens is full frame compatible, but that lens is not", because different people have different ideas about what is acceptable. This way you have a place where you can see samples that illustrate the characteristics of the lens, and those shots are not necessarily the most artistically pleasing. For example the low contrast shots across Tokyo Bay are pretty dull, but they are quite good at revealing the vignetting characteristics of the lenses.

As for the quality of the files, isn't there still an embargo on full resolution files from the K-1? It will be interesting to see whether it allows full resolution files to be uploaded once the camera is released.
04-06-2016, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #42

This is an amazing, interactive marketing idea. Cheers Pentax!! You are doing it right!!!
04-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #43

Photos: Gallery
28-105mm. My favorite!

The 28-105mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR is clearly, so far, the best kit (?) lens out there. I am very, very impressed! See also here Sample Image? PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING.
Water resistant - already very sharp wide open and across the frame - good zoom - good price!!! If it had constant 2.8, keeping these excellent characteristics, it would be one of the 5 best lenses of all manufactures.
Also the FA 15-30mm seems to deliver very good for this wide!
04-19-2016, 04:52 AM   #44
farmerDavid

DA 55-300 K-1 lab

Has anybody else looked at those DA 55-300 1:4-5,8? They are shot in FF mode. I wonder at what fl the vigneting starts. I rarely use it above 200 as it is a bit unsharp out there.
Has someone tried to get a baffle out of it as with the 60-250*? At what my non-WR version is worth now I'm temted to investigate.
04-19-2016, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
This means using the best glass Pentax has access to and photographs that represent the final production quality of the K1.
But it also means superb post-processing and posting high quality image files on a good server. If Ricoh is posting highly compressed, scaled-down jpegs (and who knows what kind of algorithms/programs were used for this) just to save on server costs, then the photos will not look impressive.
Oh, and it is also important what the subjects are. Taking a photo that anyone can take will not impress a lot of people. This is why Nikon gives their cameras to top notch photographers and then gets to use some photos as their advertising. While we know that it is the photographer and not the gear that makes the image, many people do not. They think "good photo? good camera!" Taking a photo of a leaf hanging from a tree branch is nice, but it is a common motif and will not impress a lot of people. Take that leaf and have Heidi Klum hold it between her toes while she does a headstand? That will impress people. They won't forget that photo. Even if it is technically no better than the photo of the leaf on tree.
Marketing 101

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-19-2016 at 05:27 AM.