Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 06:59 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Pentax Special Site - K1 Sample Photos per Lens by Pentax Staff....

The site for Pentax K-1 has been updated with photos taken by Pentax K-1 and various Pentax Lenses. The following link will take you there. Enjoy!

PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

04-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Abdalian, thanks for posting this link.

I checked out many of these photos. Sorry, but I'm not impressed by any of them. I could have taken them just as good with my K3ii.

While some of these image files were pretty good sized, I believe that to truly show the IQ advantages of the K1, much MUCH larger files would need to be posted.
04-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That's not what they're meant for. Taking really impressive images is your job; those samples just show which lenses have an adequate performance on the K-1 ;)
Scratch that. Actually they just demonstrate that you can upload images on the site. Though I quite like that birdie in a cherry tree image...
04-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter

That 28-105 (supposedly a kit lens) looks serious.

Confirms DA* 55/f1.4 is a full frame.

HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mmF2.8ED SDM WR looks impressive in the corner sharpness (@f8 however)

smc PENTAX-DA 40mmF2.8 XS confirmed FF (I love this super pan cake, <- this is what I call it)

smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8. Knew it was going to be good. A very bad composition though.

DA* 50-135, my favorite lens but not impressed with this cat picture and looks soft @2.8 but much cleaner ISO@6400.

FA50 f1.4 is neat. I am sure M/A/F50f1.7 will shine for sure.

This FA-31 shot neatly demonstrates the the near perfect FOV for wide/normal prime.

DA70 seems to be a FF and many pictures shot with it.

Great IQ over all. But I must say that the subject matter chosen for the sample images and the compositions made are mediocre at best. Ricoh should rather send the review materials to some veteran forum members out here and let them populate this space than letting their staff shoot and populate this space. K-1 in the right hands will be a killer Ricoh.

---------- Post added 04-05-16 at 11:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Though I quite like that birdie in a cherry tree image...
Indeed. Superb IQ for a kit lens I am thinking.

Last edited by shardulm; 04-05-2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Formatting
04-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #5

Ok, i'm left concerned. Some of these images are way, way off. Take the 100mm d-fa and the fa 31mm shots. iso 200 and 100 respectively, but they are grainy as hell. surely they can't be representative of what to expect from this camera I've already put money down on. The background in the leaf shot is so blotchy, as is the sky in the fireworks shot. Something doesn't look right at all. Poor file compression maybe? Who knows... I'm not liking the terrible grain in these shots one bit. There are other shots that look like they are rendering images strange also... like any of the city shots, the cranes all look whack. as do other parts of the image. I can't seem to put my finger on what it is in some of them.

Last edited by lightsource; 04-05-2016 at 08:33 AM.
04-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Yep, the bird shot with the 28-105 in crop mode is very impressive.
04-05-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
surely they can't be representative of what to expect from this camera I've already put money down on.
I am sure you should be able to cancel the order before it ships out.
04-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
just spent a further $2k on lenses!

---------- Post added 04-05-16 at 11:37 PM ----------

hoping its just poor compression and pp file handling.

04-05-2016, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Important notes on top
ou will be able to make submissions from the PENTAX K-1 launch date.
The photographs currently posted are reference images by our staff.

It's not because you work at Ricoh that you are great photographer.

04-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a "read this first" sign above the picture gallery. You should follow these instructions to know what these pics are about!
04-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Maybe it's my crappy work laptop monitor, but I don't see any graininess on the FA 31 image. It looks very clear and detailed to me.
04-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I met a "Pentax Shooter" at the Downtown Camera Store, in Toronto, at the demo day. I'm surprised they don't use these guys for promo shooting.
04-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #13
Site Supporter

grainy as hell
I don't see much grain except in the cat picture. These are only 3MP images and zoomed more than 100% reveals something that you dont expect to see in a full resolution Image.

leaf shot is so blotchy, as is the sky in the fireworks shot.
blotchy?? That firework shot has clouds in the background if thats what you call blotchy. And that leaf shot may have some image detail renderings in the background due to the defocus. Not sure if its a badly back-lit monitor TV you are watching the images on.

The IQ is by no means bad. The subject and the compositions.. Well... some programmer of this site's feature had to go out and take some shots to get his feature going looks like.

Last edited by shardulm; 04-05-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typos
04-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8. Knew it was going to be good. A very bad composition though. PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
Ok, i'm left concerned. Some of these images are way, way off. Take the 100mm d-fa and the fa 31mm shots. iso 200 and 100 respectively, but they are grainy as hell. surely they can't be representative of what to expect from this camera I've already put money down on.
Yeah, lol. I can get better shots with my DFA 100mm on yellow K-01. And I've seen many better shots in the DFA WR thread. I'm sure the DFA 100mm will excel on Pentax K-1, its an amazing lens. Pentax really should use a better sample photo, though. On the DFA 100mm sample, only a small amount of the leaf is sharp, but its not in the macro range, the background is rather empty.. and then they comment about the smooth bokeh?? There is no bokeh, its just dark! And DFA 100mm is definitely capable of good bokeh, it has nice rounded aperture blades, it is a decently fast telephoto and allows close up focus...
Pentax is notorious for rather poor marketing, so I'm not really all that surprised. I think with the K-1 we can expect IQ in the same range as D800E. Just a step above K-5 and K-3. Of course, both of these are already pretty great, so its not easy to beat. The K-3 for example has a little more resolution than K-5IIs, but can't really beat the noise levels. The 16MP sensor in K-5 is just really great when it comes to DR, Noise.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-05-2016 at 09:21 AM.
04-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The background in the leaf shot is so blotchy, as is the sky in the fireworks shot. Something doesn't look right at all. Poor file compression maybe? Who knows... I'm not liking the terrible grain in these shots one bit.
Hm, I don't see it.
Can you be more specific?

Although I did zoom in on the picture with the four cranes in it, and the jpeg compression is PRETTY nasty.

Last edited by Gimbal; 04-05-2016 at 09:30 AM.