Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ColiNiloK Quote
Haha not if you want to carry the Canon 1DX or Nikon D3X just as portable gym

BTW guys, in that post there is actually a Chinese review of the K-1, it is with English subtitles, just share with you all as well. It's in the middle of the 4th page, the pictures are in the first page.

Cheers!

http://forum.xitek.com/thread-1558363-4-1-1.html

very nice video. although they do not present any new information, i found the history part really interesting, also the hosts were quite likable.

please keep us up to date, once they release their full review on the K-1, looking forward to it

04-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
All those silver Pentax lenses need a matching body ...

I bet a silver K-1 body will be available soon from Pentax, once they make enough of the black bodies to meet initial demand.
04-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by quh86 Quote
very nice video. although they do not present any new information, i found the history part really interesting, also the hosts were quite likable.

please keep us up to date, once they release their full review on the K-1, looking forward to it
Sure, I will check their reviews soon, and keep everyone up to date. I usually read/watch lots of English and Chinese reviewers,never seen these guys, but they seem to have unique sense of humour and the history and build part is certainly interesting. No body else seems to mention about the patterns on the levers on the K-1 and the other manufactures' light leak issues vs K-1's LED in the camera joke .

---------- Post added 04-08-16 at 12:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
All those silver Pentax lenses need a matching body ...

I bet a silver K-1 body will be available soon from Pentax, once they make enough of the black bodies to meet initial demand.
I agree, and hope so too. Also like the gunmetal look too, but the chance for that to happen won't be as high I guess.
04-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #19

Original Poster
Updates for part 2 and 3 of the video review can be found in this new thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/319300-pentax-k-1-f...ml#post3613811

04-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Especially like the K-1 with A900 pictures, looks like brother cameras in arms
Let's hope the K-1 OVF is as big and as bright as the A900. The A900 has the best OVF of any FF DSLR I have ever used.
04-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah the memories
After a year of research and a botched salesperson attempt to use my M40 pancake I bought an A200. Two months later the A700 was dumped for a slightly higher price, then my only step up was to get the A900. Only a pinch more research revealed the "AR:P" setting, and Pentax returned to its proper place in my bag with every lens available!

Ah the memories.. still hurt a little?
04-23-2016, 03:19 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Let's hope the K-1 OVF is as big and as bright as the A900. The A900 has the best OVF of any FF DSLR I have ever used.
I agree, A900 has one of the best OVF around for modern DSLRs, it is still my favourite camera up to date. It's a simple and efficient camera and it has one of the best IQ for cameras of its days and the very first FF DSLR with IBIS. The K1 is similar in design philosophy combining efficient usage, high IQ sensor, first FF DSLR with 5 axis IBIS.

The Canon 1DX has a slight bigger viewfinder than A900 on paper but from my limited user experience of the 1DX I don't find any difference in size.

Not sure the K1's viewfinder will be as nice, that we need to try the production model when it lands. On paper the K1's OVF is way smaller than the A900's, and I'm sceptical it will be as good, but I'm sure it is nice enough.
04-23-2016, 06:03 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree, A900 has one of the best OVF around for modern DSLRs, it is still my favourite camera up to date. It's a simple and efficient camera and it has one of the best IQ for cameras of its days and the very first FF DSLR with IBIS. The K1 is similar in design philosophy combining efficient usage, high IQ sensor, first FF DSLR with 5 axis IBIS.

The Canon 1DX has a slight bigger viewfinder than A900 on paper but from my limited user experience of the 1DX I don't find any difference in size.

Not sure the K1's viewfinder will be as nice, that we need to try the production model when it lands. On paper the K1's OVF is way smaller than the A900's, and I'm sceptical it will be as good, but I'm sure it is nice enough.
I was shooting with the Canon 5D Mark I and I was going to make the move to Sony because of the A900. It had some software/firmware bugs that Sony never fixed, but it was one of the best to use and the OVF was a big part of that. There were just too many doubts about the future of A-mount, and that has not changed in the 9 years since the A900 was introduced. I decided to wait on the A950, but that never happened.

The A900 OVF is what Ricoh should have been designing for.

04-23-2016, 06:12 AM   #24
mee
Site Supporter

I was shooting with the Canon 5D Mark I and I was going to make the move to Sony because of the A900. It had some software/firmware bugs that Sony never fixed, but it was one of the best to use and the OVF was a big part of that. There were just too many doubts about the future of A-mount, and that has not changed in the 9 years since the A900 was introduced. I decided to wait on the A950, but that never happened.

Maybe a situation of picking features vs cost led them to the OVF in the K-1. Yet Ricoh reps have stated if the K-1 sells well, then it won't be their last FF body.. and I would expect the OVF to be one of the prime features improved upon since they seem to tout them pretty often.

So maybe in a K-1 mk II or the like.. but that is probably years from now. At least we get a digital K mount FF that is rather nice. thats wayyy better than no FF in my book.
04-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Maybe a situation of picking features vs cost led them to the OVF in the K-1. Yet Ricoh reps have stated if the K-1 sells well, then it won't be their last FF body.. and I would expect the OVF to be one of the prime features improved upon since they seem to tout them pretty often.

So maybe in a K-1 mk II or the like.. but that is probably years from now. At least we get a digital K mount FF that is rather nice. thats wayyy better than no FF in my book.
I'm sure cost is a factor, and maybe Ricoh's OVF is better. Until mine arrives I can only speculate. As I have said in the past, they need to really improve the OVF as the compete with EVF technology. Manufacturers that are sticking with the OVF design need to implement new technologies to stay ahead. Eventually I think we will have an OVF overlay that has all the information of the EVF.
04-23-2016, 06:54 AM   #26

Will admit that I am also of the old school photography mindset where the quality of the OVF is very important to me. Being able to precisely compose on a large view finder was one of the very first things that impressed me both in terms of satisfaction and performance when I started using medium format back in the film days. Of course the beauty of Ricoh/Pentax today is that they offer medium format which enables a lager optical view finder. On the flip side, I also highly value Pentax's efforts to achieve small packaging in a weather resistant DSLR design. So the bottom line is that I hope and trust that moving forward Ricoh/Pentax will continue to strive to find optimization between these opposing but highly valuable characteristics. In my opinion also, this can include any vision to integrate EVF with OVF capability (recognizing the importance that the quality of the OVF characteristics be high).
04-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #27

Original Poster
I'm sure cost is a factor, and maybe Ricoh's OVF is better. Until mine arrives I can only speculate. As I have said in the past, they need to really improve the OVF as the compete with EVF technology. Manufacturers that are sticking with the OVF design need to implement new technologies to stay ahead. Eventually I think we will have an OVF overlay that has all the information of the EVF.
Like hybrid VF( as seen on Fuji Xpro 1/2) ?

---------- Post added 04-26-16 at 04:31 PM ----------

Which firmware bugs are you referring to?

I agree Sony's A mount future isn't clear, as I posted somewhere else, some A mount shooters are considering K-1 for this reason, as A7 series isn't yet a direct placement of A mount.

Well I wished the K-1 had bigger OVF too, like you said, cost is one important factor, I assume K-1 Mark II would improve on this.