Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Would AF film lens series produce full frame on K-1?

I'm talking about Pentax PZ series AF lens that were available. Would this give a 'full frame' use on the new K-1? (Without the crop effect)

04-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
I'm talking about Pentax PZ series AF lens that were available. Would this give a 'full frame' use on the new K-1? (Without the crop effect)
Yes, all non DA / DAL lenses ever made by Pentax for K mount or M42 mount cover the full frame image circle.
04-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
If a lens gave full frame on the Pentax film cameras, it will do the same on the K1.

So, yes...

-Eric
04-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Yes, all non DA / DAL lenses ever made by Pentax for K mount or M42 mount cover the full frame image circle.
What he said. The key is that the "FF" format has the same dimensions as 35mm film. If the lenses worked on a Pentax 35mm film camera, they will work on the K-1 for FF.

Steve

04-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, any film-era lens will work in full-frame mode This article might prove helpful if you're looking to see what lenses are available for the K-1:

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But the REAL question is, will we be getting full resolution with those old lenses? My poor understanding is that older lenses aren't at the same standard as the new ones so we won't be getting anywhere near the resolution we would see on a new digital FF lens. Is that correct?
04-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
But the REAL question is, will we be getting full resolution with those old lenses? My poor understanding is that older lenses aren't at the same standard as the new ones so we won't be getting anywhere near the resolution we would see on a new digital FF lens. Is that correct?
We will get the full resolution that the optical system (lens + medium) is capable of producing which is likely higher than what most of us are willing to print. The notion that film era lenses were down-tuned to an inferior medium is historically unfounded and not supported by the experience of FF Canon, Nikon, Leica, and Sony* digital users or the users of recent high resolution film emulsions.

BTW: I am not so sure that the manufacturing standards for current product are so great. Decided to strike that one since my experience with recent design Pentax brand product is limited to low end stuff. I am very pleased with my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C), though I would point out that Sigma has published a firmware update to correct poor AF performance at the wide end with that lens.

Steve

* Users of Sony A7-series cameras have experienced issues (vignette and corner quality) with certain adapted wide-angle short register (rangefinder camera) lenses, but those problems are related to the Sony camera design more than the lenses themselves. They work fine on digital Leica product.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-09-2016 at 04:05 PM.
04-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Recently I mounted a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 lens, which was originally kitted in 1984 with my Pentax Super Program, on my K-30. I am quite certain that it is sharper than any modern lens I use on that camera. If I could afford a K-1 {up to now, the most I've ever spent on a camera kit is $700}, I would be more than happy to use that lens on it even though the lens is not AF.

04-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Typically the central sharpness of all film era lenses is very good, but they are often not as well corrected at the edges, and many have an "unsharp" ring area midway from center to edges, that is obvious from the dip in the MTF plots. On film this wasn't considered important, and generally isn't really on digital either, unless you pixel-peep. If you do, it is quite obvious on the SMC Pentax 50 f1.4.
In the mid 1960s the lens designs began to shift to balance higher contrast over absolute resolution, as this gave a higher impression of sharpness on film. For example, the '69 Leica 50 Summicron lost a bit of resolution compared to the earlier design, but had higher contrast, especially wide open, and so seemed sharper. (I bought one in '69 and it was my favorite lens for the film years.)
Today the best new lenses have both higher contrast and higher resolution, most obvious at the frame edges. But for general photography and normal viewing distance it isn't obvious. I still use mainly 60s & 70s lenses and prefer them for the build quality.
04-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
On film this wasn't considered important, and generally isn't really on digital either, unless you pixel-peep.
This. I think the fixation on sharpness has gotten out of hand.
04-11-2016, 06:51 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Probably true.
04-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Incidentally. . . If I get a K-1 any time soon, my "kit lens" will most likely be the Sigma 28-105mm f/3.8-5.6 UC-III that I picked up on fleaBay for a pittance a couple years back, and which has worked well on my Pentax ZX-5n. Some might be aghast at putting such a cheap-and-old lens on the K-1, but hey. . . I can upgrade any time. It's just nice that I don't have to right away.

One lens I'll almost certainly get is the 43mm LTD. In the past I've been tempted to buy one to use on the ZX, but I just don't shoot enough film to justify it. Soon I'll have the excuse I needed to acquire one! (And it's not that expensive. Have you looked at the prices on new prime lenses from Sony or Fuji lately? Yeesh!)
04-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Incidentally. . . If I get a K-1 any time soon, my "kit lens" will most likely be the Sigma 28-105mm f/3.8-5.6 UC-III that I picked up on fleaBay for a pittance a couple years back, and which has worked well on my Pentax ZX-5n. Some might be aghast at putting such a cheap-and-old lens on the K-1, but hey. . . I can upgrade any time. It's just nice that I don't have to right away.

One lens I'll almost certainly get is the 43mm LTD. In the past I've been tempted to buy one to use on the ZX, but I just don't shoot enough film to justify it. Soon I'll have the excuse I needed to acquire one! (And it's not that expensive. Have you looked at the prices on new prime lenses from Sony or Fuji lately? Yeesh!)
Smart!
04-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Yeah, back in the day, we were accustomed to making compromises. Now, people demand corner-to-corner needle sharpness {I use that term rather than the usual "razor sharp" to emphasize the addictive nature of this demand}, on-demand paper-thin DOF, and no noise.